Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2017, 09:28 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,740,055 times

Advertisements

People who believe that they have a right to initiate force upon others to impose their will are criminals. They will remain criminals regardless of any attempt to "rehabilitate" them. Only they can choose to obey the non-aggression principle.

However our entire "society" lives under the rule of an institution of aggression, the government. So it is no wonder that in such an environment that so many believe that they too have a fictional right to use force, aggression to impose their will upon others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2017, 10:39 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,766,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Some people do years for relatively minor offenses. Until a few years ago in California, a person with a very small amount of a controlled substance could be sent to prison for 3,4 or 5 years if they 'transported' that drug, which included having it in your pocket while you were riding a bicycle. There are still arcane laws like that on the books in almost all states, your lack of familiarity with them does not prove they don't exist.

As I already tried to explain. Most people who commit crimes don't contemplate getting caught, thus threat of long prison terms is rarely a deterrent. The reasons for that are varied, i.e. inability to comprehend cause and effect, sociopathy, immaturity, etc. Here's a link that might help you understand what does deter criminal activity and what doesn't.
https://nij.gov/five-things/pages/deterrence.aspx
You example is probably the result of California's "Three Strikes" law- hardly "Arcane" as it is well known, except by you and the dope on the bike.

If a moron is still committing crimes after 2 strikes, then there is not much chance at renewal.

Prisons have been around for thousands of years in one form or another. If someone does not contemplate getting caught then we are again discussing some very stupid people.

So it goes.

Old 11-21-2017, 11:02 AM

42,838 posts, read 26,231,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
You example is probably the result of California's "Three Strikes" law- hardly "Arcane" as it is well known, except by you and the dope on the bike.

If a moron is still committing crimes after 2 strikes, then there is not much chance at renewal.

Prisons have been around for thousands of years in one form or another. If someone does not contemplate getting caught then we are again discussing some very stupid people.

So it goes.
California laws involving transportation,possession, or sales of a controlled substance are not 3 strike eligible offenses. It would be wise to read up on this before you start making such claims.

The current sentence for transporting a controlled substance is 2,3 or 4 years in prison. The law changed so that having a controlled substance on your person when riding a bus, driving a car or riding a bicycle was changed so that charging this section now requires crossing two county lines while in possession.

Old 11-21-2017, 11:19 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,723,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I would have a team of tech guys invent a collar to put on them that would zap them if they get too close to another inmate, would have voice recognition that would zap them if they use foul language or raise their voice. They would learn a trade and they would learn how to speak properly and with respect to others. I would hire psychologists to reprogram them from the person who got them put in prison, the person their inept, drug addled single mother raised.
I saw that movie with Malcolm McDowell. It was called "A Clockwork Orange".

Old 11-21-2017, 11:43 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,766,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
California laws involving transportation,possession, or sales of a controlled substance are not 3 strike eligible offenses. It would be wise to read up on this before you start making such claims.

The current sentence for transporting a controlled substance is 2,3 or 4 years in prison. The law changed so that having a controlled substance on your person when riding a bus, driving a car or riding a bicycle was changed so that charging this section now requires crossing two county lines while in possession.
Then I guess transporting a controlled substance in loopy liberal California is not for the faint of heart.

They have been warned ....

Old 11-21-2017, 12:07 PM

6,470 posts, read 4,065,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
won't double.

Short-term rise, followed by drop in crime when Jr knows older bro who he thought gets slap on wrist is not coming home.

Animals in cages where they belong when they can't live in civilized society= Less Crime
Your pretending like criminals are logical. I come from a country were my dad was nearly set on fire by an angry mob for skipping the fare on paying the cab or "keke trycicles" when he was 14 (back then less to than 10 cents), guess what even with strict punishments like this and the fact that the mortality rate is ridiculously high in Nigeria for people in jail. Criminals still do stupid stuff. Maybe it might deter the less hardcore criminal but we still here about Americans getting publicly whipped in Singapore and people selling drugs there even with their being a death sentence, same with The Philippines.

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...-KmyW0#imgrc=_

I personally believe though that if you are willing to point a loaded gun at someone you should face extreme punishment. Guns should not be played with and anyone doing a crime with a gun or even an illegal gun charge should be seen as attempted murder in my eyes. I think as a society we take guns to easily. Pointing, or owning a gun illegally should have the book thrown at you.

Old 11-21-2017, 02:55 PM

4,944 posts, read 2,937,901 times
https://youtu.be/HfEsz812Q1I

Great little documentary on the diffrence between treating prisoners like human beings or the treating them like animals. Really amazing how much better the nordic countries operate with regards to crime.

Old 11-21-2017, 03:08 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,740,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
https://youtu.be/HfEsz812Q1I

Great little documentary on the diffrence between treating prisoners like human beings or the treating them like animals. Really amazing how much better the nordic countries operate with regards to crime.
Nice for the prisoners. Not so effective in returning the victims to the state they were in prior to the act of aggression...

The just retaliatory force against criminals should be used to restore the victim to the state they were in prior to the crime instead of "rehabilitating" them. They chose to initiate force upon another, until they obey the non-aggression principle they will always be criminals. Rehabilitation isn't needed, a change in their morality, a choice, is needed.

Old 11-21-2017, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
I personally believe though that if you are willing to point a loaded gun at someone you should face extreme punishment. Guns should not be played with and anyone doing a crime with a gun or even an illegal gun charge should be seen as attempted murder in my eyes. I think as a society we take guns to easily. Pointing, or owning a gun illegally should have the book thrown at you.
I agree with that 100%

Old 11-21-2017, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irspow View Post
Nice for the prisoners. Not so effective in returning the victims to the state they were in prior to the act of aggression... The just retaliatory force against criminals should be used to restore the victim to the state they were in prior to the crime instead of "rehabilitating" them. They chose to initiate force upon another, until they obey the non-aggression principle they will always be criminals. Rehabilitation isn't needed, a change in their morality, a choice, is needed.
I can't speak for all states, but at least in California, if you are sentenced for a felony victim restitution is imposed and they will follow you to your grave to recover the money
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies