Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 09:37 AM

68,327 posts, read 54,350,985 times

Advertisements

MARTHA RADDATZ: Two-third of Americans say it’s not worth fighting.

'QUICKDRAW' DICK CHENEY: So?

Gee Dick, I didn't think you cared. I was right!

Maybe before going off half-cocked spreading 'democracy and the American Way' around the world we should spread that concept on Pennsylvania Avenue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2008, 10:14 AM

2,662 posts, read 3,827,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
MARTHA RADDATZ: Two-third of Americans say it’s not worth fighting.

'QUICKDRAW' DICK CHENEY: So?

Gee Dick, I didn't think you cared. I was right!

Maybe before going off half-cocked spreading 'democracy and the American Way' around the world we should spread that concept on Pennsylvania Avenue.
More demonstrated liberal "leadership" through poll numbers. . . . Thankfully Lincoln's leadership didn't include polling the people during the US civil war.

Old 03-19-2008, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNTT_Vacationer View Post
More demonstrated liberal "leadership" through poll numbers. . . . Thankfully Lincoln's leadership didn't include polling the people during the US civil war.

No, I think it's just another demonstration of the snide, sneering, self-righteous, holier-than-thou, arrogant attitude that characterizes this administration.

In many ways I often think Lincoln did us no favor winning the Civil War, if we'd grown into two smaller nations we probably would've avoided growing up with the "we will shape the world" syndrome.

Old 03-19-2008, 10:45 AM

Quote:
. . . . In many ways I often think Lincoln did us no favor winning the Civil War, if we'd grown into two smaller nations we probably would've avoided growing up with the "we will shape the world" syndrome.
It's refreshing to see, even after 150 years of reflection, your summation of historical US presidential leadership is no better than your view of the current one.

Old 03-19-2008, 11:00 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,537,374 times
The current Administration is so out of touch with the American people that it is actually quit funny and sad. Remember Bush saying that he had never heard of $4 a gallon gas?

Old 03-19-2008, 11:04 AM

Quote:
It's refreshing to see, even after 150 years of reflection, your summation of historical US presidential leadership is no better than your view of the current one.

Well, if you took a little time to actually think about what I wrote you might possibly understand what I wrote was a commentary on our dubious gains thru war and not a commentary on Lincoln's leadership. But that would require you to think, wouldn't it?

Old 03-19-2008, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Well, if you took a little time to actually think about what I wrote you might possibly understand what I wrote was a commentary on our dubious gains thru war and not a commentary on Lincoln's leadership. But that would require you to think, wouldn't it?
So freedom from the oppression of slavery and re-unification of the country are "dubious" gains?!

Let's approach from another angle. . . . what do you feel would be a justified gain from war?

Old 03-19-2008, 11:18 AM

2,684 posts, read 6,884,600 times
Quote:
So freedom from the oppression of slavery and re-unification of the country are "dubious" gains?!
The Civil War was not fought over slavery as much as people think. It was a very minor part, the ending of slavery was inevitable. The CSU was freeing slaves before the end of the war.

Why should the country be unified if neither side wants to? Reconstruction was a disaster, humiliating the South, and spawning hatred towards the North that still exists today.

Old 03-19-2008, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinFromBoise View Post
The Civil War was not fought over slavery as much as people think. It was a very minor part, the ending of slavery was inevitable. The CSU was freeing slaves before the end of the war.

Why should the country be unified if neither side wants to? Reconstruction was a disaster, humiliating the South, and spawning hatred towards the North that still exists today.
And more over slavery than most people want to admit; hiding behind the euphemism of state rights. Reconstruction resulted in a great country; with faults to be sure, but one that I'm proud of. And with each passing generation, I see less and less of any hatred toward the north. . . perhaps the best thing that came out of Jimmy's presidency.

Old 03-19-2008, 11:33 AM

Quote:

Let's approach from another angle. . . . what do you feel would be a justified gain from war?

IF you read what I wrote you'd see I referred to growing up as two smaller nations possibly having benefitted the US, didn't say a word about slavery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies