Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2017, 06:29 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,859,906 times

Advertisements

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKBN1DI0QV

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/u-s-str...er-from-trump/

Didn't he solemnly swear to obey the orders a President when he enlisted decades ago?

Why are generals who have been in the service for decades making unfiltered comments like that?

Tremendously disturbing and unprofessional of him to say that while the world is listening. It is almost as if he in a very passive way is trying to cheapen and demean President Trump.

What strange times we live in? I don't know if he passively implying anything about the current President but it just seems strange to me.

Seems like the Pentagon is even at a loss for word's over the general's comments. It just seems very inappropriate for a general to make those sort of comments when the world is watching.

Seems like he is making passive remarks and demeaning our President. Isn't the President of the Commander of Chief?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2017, 06:31 PM

5,213 posts, read 3,009,200 times
Key word in the article is "illegal". You are taught in the military not to follow an illegal order. However, just because you think an order is illegal, doesn't mean it is illegal. Not following an order can have consequences.

Old 11-18-2017, 06:34 PM

3,614 posts, read 1,734,707 times
The headline is misleading. In the article, the General goes on to say that after informing him that a particular order is illegal they would find a way to make it legal. My guess is that it's about how these orders are worded. There is a protocol that needs to be followed in a certain way. This is how we avoided accidental or heat in the moment launches.

Old 11-18-2017, 06:34 PM

20,858 posts, read 9,518,220 times
If you were this guy, and the president of the US asked you to nuke Canada for no reason at all, would you do it? I sure wouldn't.

Not saying Trump has any intentions of nuking Canada any time soon, but the point is, if Trump - or ANY president - asked you to nuke a country which clearly had no need of being nuked, it would be your moral obligation to resist that order.

Old 11-18-2017, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
Key word in the article is "illegal". You are taught in the military not to follow an illegal order. However, just because you think an order is illegal, doesn't mean it is illegal. Not following an order can have consequences.
Why are generals making these comments though that are just inviting the news media to go wild?

I doubt in an earlier, more dignified era that generals would speak so bluntly and public like this.

There is the first amendment but it just seems disrespectful to the commander and chief to give speeches passively like that.

Old 11-18-2017, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
If you were this guy, and the president of the US asked you to nuke Canada for no reason at all, would you do it? I sure wouldn't.

Not saying Trump has any intentions of nuking Canada any time soon, but the point is, if Trump - or ANY president - asked you to nuke a country which clearly had no need of being nuked, it would be your moral obligation to resist that order.
President Trump is extremely experienced in diplomatic negotiation through his resort empire. President Trump has mastered the art of communication, negotiation and compromise through his decades of experience being one of the most successful real estate empire's the world has ever seen.

President Trump is almost always right. His comments or Tweet's have never caused an issue. He is a brilliant man and thinks everything through before he makes public comments.

I am sure the general is a very decorated servant but I think we all can agree that President Trump is a man of unquestioned brilliance.

Last edited by lovecrowds; 11-18-2017 at 07:08 PM..

Old 11-18-2017, 06:46 PM

78,335 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKBN1DI0QV

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/u-s-str...er-from-trump/

Didn't he solemnly swear to obey the orders a President when he enlisted decades ago?

Why are generals who have been in the service for decades making unfiltered comments like that?

Tremendously disturbing and unprofessional of him to say that while the world is listening. It is almost as if he in a very passive way is trying to cheapen and demean President Trump.

What strange times we live in? I don't know if he passively implying anything about the current President but it just seems strange to me.

Seems like the Pentagon is even at a loss for word's over the general's comments. It just seems very inappropriate for a general to make those sort of comments when the world is watching.

Seems like he is making passive remarks and demeaning our President. Isn't the President of the Commander of Chief?
What is your political affiliation again?

Old 11-18-2017, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Why are generals making these comments though that are just inviting the news media to go wild?

I doubt in an earlier, more dignified era that generals would speak so bluntly and public like this.

There is the first amendment but it just seems disrespectful to the commander and chief to give speeches passively like that.
I would suggest you read more on military history and its leadership over the years. Check out what Macarthur and Chesty Puller have said.

Old 11-18-2017, 06:48 PM

Quote:
President Trump is extremely experienced in diplomatic negotiation through his resort empire. I am President Trump has mastered the art of communication, negotiation and compromise through his decades of experience being one of the most successful real estate empire's the world has ever seen.

President Trump is almost always right. His comments or Tweet's have never caused an issue. He is a brilliant man and thinks everything through before he makes public comments.

I am sure the general is a very decorated servant but I think we all can agree that President Trump is a man of unquestioned brilliance.
While I like Trump, I am hoping this was sarcasm.

Old 11-18-2017, 06:50 PM

5,993 posts, read 3,731,537 times
Maybe he realizes, like the rest of us, that Trump is f***ing nuts. I admire a guy who doesn't want to see the world obliterated because some self absorbed, narcissistic fool forgot to put his big boy pants on when another world leader decides that glorifying Trump is just not on the agenda for the day.

Someone thinking of others besides himself and the consequences of a nuclear war on the rest of the planet. That's a foreign concept to Trump and his little Trumplings. Trump's ego is most certainly not worth destroying the world over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies