Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 09:30 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,411,984 times

Advertisements

Well (to get back on the rails), since heart disease is the biggest killer in the US, and obesity is the leading cause of heart disease... lets ban fast food, or any pre-prepared foods. You've save the most lives that way, cut way down on medical system loads too (costs too).

Old 11-19-2017, 09:45 AM

18,453 posts, read 7,081,915 times
I'd be good with banning anything that's potpourri scented......

That stuff should be declared a public health hazard.

Oh and anything that's artificiality banana flavored..... NASTY.

Old 11-19-2017, 09:48 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,276,554 times
I'd say use common sense. I'm glad to see Trump actually takes the feedback of his constituents in mind.. it was him that went and kept the 401K deduction the same despite some serious objection from his party.

You really want us to allow the killing of animals for their tusks? Honestly to me that's a lot different from guns, pot, cigarettes, soda, etc.. we're talking about living beings here.

If it was up to me I'd also ban dog racing and horse racing. Seems like a niche sport that's only popular among a very select group of people anyways. I suppose then you have the slippery slope argument. What about industrial farming? Most of the meat, dairy, and eggs we eat comes from animals kept in cramped cages all day.

I was reading the carton of the "free range eggs" they sell at wal-mart and it says they provide a minimum of 4 square feet of "free range space" per chicken and I had to laugh about how little space that actually is.

There's no easy answer to our food problems except perhaps lab grown meat, which I fully endorse and support, for what it's worth. Like manufacturing diamonds, it's very possible we could manufacture really good cuts of meat for cheap down the road using a fraction of the land and resources we do now while eliminating cow flatulance and the other issues associated with cattle farming, though admittedly a lot of cattle graze on land that is too hilly, uneven, or arid for crop farming. For example, most of the western half of South Dakota.

Last edited by sholomar; 11-19-2017 at 10:06 AM..

Old 11-19-2017, 09:52 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,582,296 times
I'd like to ban stupidity, but I am afraid it has been around too long.

Old 11-19-2017, 09:53 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Well (to get back on the rails), since heart disease is the biggest killer in the US, and obesity is the leading cause of heart disease... lets ban fast food, or any pre-prepared foods. You've save the most lives that way, cut way down on medical system loads too (costs too).
well, they cracked down on narcotic painkillers because it was becoming so dangerous, the companies that produce these drugs didnt seem to mind the new laws and regulations, since none of them tried to legally challenge the laws, why would any other industry be different?

If they care so much about our health and safety, its strange they are not targeting fast food joints, soda companies, etc...?

Old 11-19-2017, 09:55 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,582,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
I'd be good with banning anything that's potpourri scented......

That stuff should be declared a public health hazard.

Oh and anything that's artificiality banana flavored..... NASTY.
Yep, big nonpartisan yes from me. I think I would also like to ban Christmas music before Thanksgiving, and pumpkin spice anything unless it is Halloween or Turkey Day. Or unless it's, you know, actual pumpkin.

Old 11-19-2017, 09:57 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,787,488 times
Low information people who vote with emotion instead of facts.

Old 11-19-2017, 09:59 AM

4,504 posts, read 3,028,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
Guns. My guess is most ban-happy people would want to see guns banished, believing that a ban would solve a lot of our recent woes of mass shootings.

I just heard on the news that a drone crashed in a prison, a drone carrying contraband to prisoners. Between that and privacy, drones must be banned.

Cigarettes, the killer. Sure they're in partial ban-mode already. Many restaurants & hotels, even some towns, consider themselves smoke-free. Just ban them.

Trump reversed a decision and is now banning the import of elephant hunting trophies from Zimbabwe and Zambia back to the U.S.

So what else should be on the "ban" list? What else do people consider regulations limiting use isn't enough?
Cars.

They kill far more people than guns.

Old 11-19-2017, 10:06 AM

30,140 posts, read 11,765,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
Guns. My guess is most ban-happy people would want to see guns banished, believing that a ban would solve a lot of our recent woes of mass shootings.

I just heard on the news that a drone crashed in a prison, a drone carrying contraband to prisoners. Between that and privacy, drones must be banned.

Cigarettes, the killer. Sure they're in partial ban-mode already. Many restaurants & hotels, even some towns, consider themselves smoke-free. Just ban them.

Trump reversed a decision and is now banning the import of elephant hunting trophies from Zimbabwe and Zambia back to the U.S.

So what else should be on the "ban" list? What else do people consider regulations limiting use isn't enough?
How about banning horrible posts like yours.

Old 11-19-2017, 10:08 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,616,786 times
Some quite varied opinions here. I think that anything and everything that has the potential to be used for a person or group of people to do harm to others should be banned. Starting at the "root cause", that being the capacity of the human brain for free thought.

After all this is where it all begins, with individual decision making. All people will report to their community lobotomizing stations and register their brain via micro chipping procedure through LE. Prior to reporting all citizens will either remove and dispose of or bring with them any objects or material that is on the published danger list available at www.public safety.gov/for the children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies