U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 11-20-2017, 09:55 AM
 
31,654 posts, read 14,614,583 times
Reputation: 8440

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmexman View Post
Because it is rude to assume that someone speaks a certain language because they look a certain way. And also because we are not in Mexico or Cuba or El Salvador, etc. We are in the United States of America and our primary language is ENGLISH. When I lived abroad I never expected anyone to speak English because I RESPECTED the fact that Spanish was the official and primary language of where I lived.


 
Old 11-20-2017, 09:58 AM
 
31,654 posts, read 14,614,583 times
Reputation: 8440
Quote:
Originally Posted by FluidFreedom View Post
I am Mexican and I never learned Spanish. People speak to me all the time in Spanish and I just politely say " No hablo espanol". Then they continue in english. No harm no foul. I see nothing rude about it.

My question would be if they knew how to speak English then why did they try to converse with you in Spanish? I'll tell you why, it's all about them not you and many Hispanics don't want to speak English unless they have to.
 
Old 11-20-2017, 10:10 AM
 
673 posts, read 245,920 times
Reputation: 484
Get over it, im hispanic too. Its not rude..just calmly say, "im sorry, but i dont speak spanish." How hard is that?

If it wasnt this, but the opposite, then you would be complaining that they werent speaking spanish to you or didnt think you were hispanic enough.
 
Old 11-20-2017, 10:13 AM
 
673 posts, read 245,920 times
Reputation: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Perhaps OP doesn't want people assuming she is one of the millions of illegals. My cousins are half Mexican but when asked about their ethnicity, say they are French which is half true. Their mom was a legal immigrant from Mexico.
Thats a shame. Your cousins should tell the truth, and if someone makes a stupid remark about being "illegal" drop them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FluidFreedom View Post
I am Mexican and I never learned Spanish. People speak to me all the time in Spanish and I just politely say " No hablo espanol". Then they continue in english. No harm no foul. I see nothing rude about it.
Same here.
 
Old 11-20-2017, 10:26 AM
 
673 posts, read 245,920 times
Reputation: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starboy2017 View Post
What's wrong with People speaking Spanish I'm proud of knowing 2 languages
Amd u should be! Its a great accomplishment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmexman View Post
I don't, but it's really only POC who would best understand how I feel about this issue.
Im a POC and i dont understand it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
lol There is no such thing as white privilege.
Thats not true.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 11-20-2017 at 08:30 PM.. Reason: deleted quoted post
 
Old 11-20-2017, 10:31 AM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ
5,946 posts, read 3,242,721 times
Reputation: 3657
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmexman View Post
I am of Latino background, and I do speak Spanish fairly well; it is my second language and I lived in a Spanish-speaking country for an extended period of time. However since I've returned to the United States and gone back to work I have CONSTANTLY been spoken to in Spanish by customers WITHOUT BEING ASKED IF I SPEAK SPANISH. Most people don't take the time to ask "Hablas espanol?" conveniently forgetting the fact that we are in the United States of America and English is the primary language! Until just recently I would simply respond in Spanish, but now I am sick of this rude mentality and I don't even bother to respond in Spanish, only in English, until it becomes absolutely necessary for me to communicate in Spanish!

I am sick of this!
Much ado about nothing I think. In my case, physicians wanted me to translate for them because it was better than using a plain translator/interpreter.

I didn’t mind translating in the hospital. I just wished I’d get a differential or something. I saved them a lot of time and money.

The only place I refuse to speak Spanish is at the airport in Miami. They’re rude. So, NO. I WON’T speak Spanish there.
 
Old 11-20-2017, 10:40 AM
 
Location: NW Nevada
13,340 posts, read 10,919,127 times
Reputation: 12291
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmexman View Post
I am of Latino background, and I do speak Spanish fairly well; it is my second language and I lived in a Spanish-speaking country for an extended period of time. However since I've returned to the United States and gone back to work I have CONSTANTLY been spoken to in Spanish by customers WITHOUT BEING ASKED IF I SPEAK SPANISH. Most people don't take the time to ask "Hablas espanol?" conveniently forgetting the fact that we are in the United States of America and English is the primary language! Until just recently I would simply respond in Spanish, but now I am sick of this rude mentality and I don't even bother to respond in Spanish, only in English, until it becomes absolutely necessary for me to communicate in Spanish!

I am sick of this!

I can see your point. And if being initiated in Spanish bugs you for the reasons cited I concur you should correct people. That's YOUR right. I don't speak Spanish very well, but I understand it pretty good. I'm the same way with Tagalog which I used to both speak and understand fluently. I have been thinking of taking classes to get my fluency back.


But my comprehension of both languages has served me in quite a few situations. Being a White male many have blithely assumed me ignorant. A Filipina nurse in the hospital once rattled off some quite....colorful...comments directed at me in Tagalog (slightly different dialect and accent than I'm used to ) that I fully understood. And I had her in front of her charge nurse.


Listening to public conversations in both languages I have been appalled at the level of crudeness. If such conversations were to be happening in English there would be lots of folks telling them to shut up and have some manners. I really like being assumed to be ignorant. It's an advantage I most enjoy, and I pop out of the woodwork on occasion. The embarrassment that can provoke is serious fun.
 
Old 11-20-2017, 10:51 AM
 
Location: South Jersey
12,921 posts, read 6,483,120 times
Reputation: 4470
OP is 100% right. English only should prevail in public discourse.
 
Old 11-20-2017, 11:09 AM
 
3,816 posts, read 2,016,903 times
Reputation: 5944
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
OP is 100% right. English only should prevail in public discourse.

Not at all.


I was once at a restaurant and a couple were speaking to each other in another language ( I could not make out what it was) and I overheard another customer get upset about it. He was saying how rude of them, that they should speak in English because this America.

He was probably upset because he is a nosy Ned and hated that he couldn’t understand them. People should be allowed to speak whatever language they are comfortable speaking.
 
Old 11-20-2017, 01:08 PM
 
Location: NW Nevada
13,340 posts, read 10,919,127 times
Reputation: 12291
Quote:
Originally Posted by FluidFreedom View Post
Not at all.


I was once at a restaurant and a couple were speaking to each other in another language ( I could not make out what it was) and I overheard another customer get upset about it. He was saying how rude of them, that they should speak in English because this America.

He was probably upset because he is a nosy Ned and hated that he couldn’t understand them. People should be allowed to speak whatever language they are comfortable speaking.

Conversation between individuals in a restaurant is different. It's when conducting business transactions with workers in any host country that "when in Rome" applies. It is a courtesy if they speak any language not native to their country. Private conversations are different.


But it's dangerous to speak in a derogatory way in ones native language in another country and assume nobody understand you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top