Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2017, 05:48 AM

6,686 posts, read 5,917,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Oh I only corrected your false claims with facts.
Yeah right, precious few facts in this person's postings. I've seen similar rubbish posted by Chinese government trolls on the Wall Street Journal and other forums.

We here in the West are indeed not knowledgeable enough about China. Luckily, we're catching on. Tiananmen was definitely a learning experience for anyone who still thought China was some kind of benevolent and kindly regime.

You might also keep in mind that most of the posters here actually are critical of the American students, not of the Chinese authorities in this particular case.

Unlike in your totalitarian society of zero tolerance for dissent, we can see both sides.

Old 11-23-2017, 09:02 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,872,044 times
Not sure what the previous few posts have to do with the shoplifters, but I assume it is in regard to the possible punishment they might have received has Trump not involved himself.
They were in China, not the USA. They in fact were caught shoplifting, aka stealing. If I caught a Chinese national stealing from me, I would expect them to be held accountable for it.
I travel a lot. Love going to other countries. There are some laws that universal. Shoplifting, aka stealing is one of them. There is no chance that these highly educated college athletes didn't know that stealing is illegal. They might not have known the punishment, but that is in fact irrelevant. They knew it was illegal and ignored that fact for what ever reason. They deserved the consequences, the same consequences a Chinese national might have faced.

Old 11-23-2017, 11:06 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,514,028 times
The ugly reality is that tRump and his followers believe that black college athletes belong in a Chinese jail for 10 years if they're caught shoplifting. They think that black athletes silently and peacefully protesting are SOBs and should be released.

On the other hand, they're convinced that a psychotic old white child molester should be elected to the US senate.

They're animated by fear, resentment, ignorance and racism.

Old 11-23-2017, 11:19 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,639,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I can understand POTUS's anger, but don't blame the kid for the sins of the father in this case. As the son expressly thanked POTUS for his support in getting him freed, the son should be left out of it.
I think we should all thank the president, OK, some say he was grandstanding or whatever, but regardless 3 young men, who made a terrible mistake, in a foreign country to add insult to injury are now home with their families for the holiday. Let's hope they learned a lesson, not only about not breaking the law, but how strict other countries are with the laws against law breakers.

As for the AH father, I don't blame Trump for his fury. What a first rate jerk the guy is. of course I guess he is this way in life period from what I have heard. Hopefully his son will not follow in his footsteps.

Old 11-23-2017, 11:22 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,639,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
Doesn't that moron know he is president of the USA?

He is not a dictator where everything is personal.

He represents the nation and its citizens regardless of party or even subsequent criticism.

He is so small minded he can't grasp that concept.

Trump continues to bring ridicule to the office of the presidency.
What are you babbling about? The kids broke the law, our president stepped in to help them return to our country, doing a good deed and you call him a moron!!! Shame on you. So you don't like him, there are many who do not and for good reasons in some cases, but this time he did what was right, and I don't blame him for being pissed off. What would you have suggested, leaving the 3 kids in jail in a foreign country? It's the father who is a moron.

Old 11-23-2017, 11:49 AM

13,212 posts, read 21,812,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
What are you babbling about? The kids broke the law, our president stepped in to help them return to our country, doing a good deed and you call him a moron!!! Shame on you. So you don't like him, there are many who do not and for good reasons in some cases, but this time he did what was right, and I don't blame him for being pissed off. What would you have suggested, leaving the 3 kids in jail in a foreign country? It's the father who is a moron.
It's not babbling, it's spot-on. As someone who should be the statesman of the free world, the president's petulant and petty actions are a disgrace to the office. We have elected a child to the most powerful position on the planet.

Old 11-23-2017, 01:22 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,746,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
At least a thousand unarmed people were mowed down by PLA thugs using tanks and automatic weapons. Some estimates range into multiple thousands dead. This odious regime has never even acknowledged the obvious facts, made even more poignant by reports of mothers being arrested merely for inquiring about their missing children.

China is a horrible regime that totally disregards human rights. They totally censor all media and have effectively banned Google search. They imprison critics of the regime, even people who merely point out the rampant corruption. They always paint the U.S. in the most negative light.

This poster consistently defends China and actively tries to rewrite history. Elsewhere, he/they defends China's occupation of Tibet. The free Western internet is full of these paid shills trying to promote a positive image of what essentially is an evil government.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Yeah right, precious few facts in this person's postings. I've seen similar rubbish posted by Chinese government trolls on the Wall Street Journal and other forums.

We here in the West are indeed not knowledgeable enough about China. Luckily, we're catching on. Tiananmen was definitely a learning experience for anyone who still thought China was some kind of benevolent and kindly regime.

You might also keep in mind that most of the posters here actually are critical of the American students, not of the Chinese authorities in this particular case.

Unlike in your totalitarian society of zero tolerance for dissent, we can see both sides.
Tiananmen incident took place in 1989. China has already changed three administrations since then. It will be naive to assume Chinese politics is static.

Old 11-23-2017, 01:30 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,529,841 times
Lavar Ball might be nuts, but his son thanked President Trump, and then apologized for his actions. While President Trump is concentrating on Lavar Ball, the basketball player whom he claims he should have left in a Chinese jail thanked President Trump and gave an apology. Trump could take the high road and reach out to LiAngelo Ball in this moment.

Old 11-23-2017, 01:31 PM

6,686 posts, read 5,917,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
The ugly reality is that tRump and his followers believe that black college athletes belong in a Chinese jail for 10 years if they're caught shoplifting. They think that black athletes silently and peacefully protesting are SOBs and should be released.

On the other hand, they're convinced that a psychotic old white child molester should be elected to the US senate.

They're animated by fear, resentment, ignorance and racism.

But Trump got them out . What more do you want?

Your candidate lost, get over it and move on.

And tell Franken to resign. He's a disgrace, and he wasn't even legitimately elected.

Old 11-23-2017, 01:38 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,796,471 times
I do not think the president should have intervened at all, unless he plans to do it for every single US citizen arrested in another country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.