U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2017, 11:21 AM

44,582 posts, read 43,115,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slats Grobnick View Post
Negrito isn't really a racist statement

its often used by friends as a term of endearment.

In Spanish ito is the diminutive and is often added to words to connote endearment. Pablo becomes Pablito, etc.. in English we add y or ie, Jimmy or Paulie

Fair skinned/blonde Hispanics are often called " Guero" or "guerito" as a term of affection, it's not an insult or demeaning. Same with negrito.

I hate to admit this but I once watched a reality tv show called I love NY and on the show a Hispanic guy called the main Black woman "mi negrita" She went ballistic and a couple of Hispanic members explained to her that it's not racist but a term of endearment. Pinche however is a curse word so I doubt in that context it's a term of endearment, but the word pinche is what really makes it racist not the term negrito

https://www.whudat.com/newsblurbs/mo...k_the_run_down

What is the difference between negrito and negro? | SpanishDict Answers
I know "pinche" is a curse word. It means "F'ing" in Spanish. And a a couple of waiters referred to me as "pinche negrito", and said it in a mocking tone. I also got called other names like "Memin Pinguin"(a cartoon character with very simian features), and "chango". BTW, "chango" means "monkey" in Spanish. I also got called "Curious George" by one waiter. Was everyone at my old work place like that? No. I am just mentioning what happened when I worked there.

I can tell when someone is using a term of endearment towards me and when someone is making fun of me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2017, 11:25 AM

2,112 posts, read 677,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I know "pinche" is a curse word. It means "F'ing" in Spanish. And a a couple of waiters referred to me as "pinche negrito", and said it in a mocking tone. I also got called other names like "Memin Pinguin"(a cartoon character with very simian features), and "chango". BTW, "chango" means "monkey" in Spanish. I also got called "Curious George" by one waiter. Was everyone at my old work place like that? No. I am just mentioning what happened when I worked there.

I can tell when someone is using a term of endearment towards me and when someone is making fun of me.
As long as you know that just because it was used derogatory in this situation doesn't mean the next time someone uses the term "negrito" it will be used in a racist manner

Old 11-22-2017, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slats Grobnick View Post
As long as you know that just because it was used derogatory in this situation doesn't mean the next time someone uses the term "negrito" it will be used in a racist manner
How did all of this get reduced to that one term? I was talking about the instances I faced racism, how none of this came from hipsters, and this got reduced to one thing.

Old 11-22-2017, 01:18 PM

4,578 posts, read 5,133,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I have nothing to add to a discussion on hipsters....except that I love this 30 second video.

(thanks for posting Mariner).

That Dude can dance ! (Oh.....& GO Astros !!)

Old 11-22-2017, 02:31 PM

14,933 posts, read 16,534,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
A hipster is basically just another term for a liberal yuppie.
Says who? I though a hipster was an impecunious college student/30 something barista with bad fashion sense, who knows about bands I have never heard of, and spends the money they make pouring coffee on beard care products.

Hipsters

Source:https://spfaust.files.wordpress.com/...pg?w=490&h=327

Yuppies

Source:http://www.partnersriley.com/wp-cont...ple700x400.jpg

Old 11-22-2017, 03:22 PM

I've dealt with people being racist towards me. Never had I dealt with it from hipsters. I can't recall a hipster ever being racist towards me.

Old 11-22-2017, 09:47 PM

2,112 posts, read 677,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Says who? I though a hipster was an impecunious college student/30 something barista with bad fashion sense, who knows about bands I have never heard of, and spends the money they make pouring coffee on beard care products.

Hipsters

Source:https://spfaust.files.wordpress.com/...pg?w=490&h=327

Yuppies

Source:http://www.partnersriley.com/wp-cont...ple700x400.jpg
Middle aged suburbanites are confusing hip with yup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or