Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2017, 09:19 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 23 days ago)

29,552 posts, read 16,542,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1grin_g0 View Post
I've heard nothing but complaints from the left with respect to the GOP tax plan. What ideas are the Democrats bringing to the table? During the Cruz/Sanders debate on CNN a few weeks ago, Bernie mentioned something about how he'd like to see our taxes as high as Denmark's, which are apparently the highest in the civilized world. I never have really even seen Democrats attempt to lower taxes on the middle class.
42 million Americans fall into the 15%(would be 12%) bracket. The change between the current system and the one being proposed is only 200 dollars on the low end and 1,200 on the high end when it comes to taxable income.

Republicans could find more money for the people by simply going at it on a state level and ending fees.

This is why Democrats dont really talk about tax reform, but rather what is taxed and how it is taxed. it makes far more sense for me to tell a small business owner he can deduct his new cash registers from taxable income than it does to simply give him a 3% tax reform. His registers likely cost 3 times what he would say in taxes under the new plan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2017, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
Here's my plan... peg the capital gains tax rate to the income tax rate, tweak the tax brackets a bit, and leave everything else the same for now. Here are my tax brackets:

$0-20K is 10%
$20K to 50K is 15%
$50K to 250K is 25%
$250K to $1M is 30%
$1M+ is 35%

So simple it's funny.. but too simple for politicians that have to have 10 tax brackets to confuse everyone. Capital gains pegged at your income tax rate. Neither party will ever suggest this. If you think they have your best interests at heart, and not the super rich, ask yourself why the democrats never bring up pegging the capital gains tax to the income tax rate. I lowered the rates a bit to compensate for the fact capital gains would be taxed more. They would have to tweaked based on revenue projections which I don't have access too.
no tax above 35% means you just removed 550 billion dollars in tax revenue.

Old 11-20-2017, 09:31 PM

34,053 posts, read 17,071,203 times
OP, Here it is:

https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...=18&ajaxhist=0

Old 11-20-2017, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
no tax above 35% means you just removed 550 billion dollars in tax revenue.

and put it to use in the productive sector.

Old 11-20-2017, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
and put it to use in the productive sector.
Im not debating what people would do with the money. Im simply saying it is removed as government revenue.

You have to account for that. There for it isnt as simple a fix as the other person claims, and they have "fixed" the tax code, and now have to cut 550 billion somewhere else.

Old 11-20-2017, 10:55 PM

5,731 posts, read 2,192,961 times
Tax more, give it away, get elected off giving it away, balloon the deficit, oppose tax cuts, complain about deficit.

Old 11-21-2017, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Im not debating what people would do with the money. Im simply saying it is removed as government revenue.

You have to account for that. There for it isnt as simple a fix as the other person claims, and they have "fixed" the tax code, and now have to cut 550 billion somewhere else.
Its not 550 billion, but much less, as that money put to productive use would have a multiplier affect that would create incremental future taxation streams, even at the lower rate.

Historically, each time we cut tax rates, we raise total tax revenue. Something even JFK knew would happen.

550 b is the STAGNANT model. That is always wrong. People will not simply pocket the savings. It will either be spent on consumables or invested. Both add to the tax base.

Old 11-21-2017, 04:43 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,089,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Taxes are at near historic lows, companies are making record profits, the economy is underperforming but expanding and unemployment is very low, interest rates are near record lows.

So what exactly was the problem we needed to solve, or maybe we just needed to increase the national debt.
Aside from the fact that it's my money....

Aside from the fact that a tremendous amount of my money gets wasted on unconstitutional spending and red tape.......

Have you actually been to a grocery store lately?

And please, stop pretending the Left actually gives a crap about the debt.

Old 11-21-2017, 05:41 AM

57,271 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Aside from the fact that it's my money....

Aside from the fact that a tremendous amount of my money gets wasted on unconstitutional spending and red tape.......

Have you actually been to a grocery store lately?

And please, stop pretending the Left actually gives a crap about the debt.
You never really answered the question, what exactly is the problem we are trying to solve.

Yes I do care about debt and would be all for rational spending cuts and reform rather than just knee jerk reactions. Simpson-Bowles was an excellent plan for reducing debt but of course it was ignored by both parties. Lacking spending cuts we should be raising taxes not lowering them but this is where we have been since the Reagan Era, taxes are the enemy. People think we will be fine if we just never raise taxes, that is certainly not the case.

Old 11-21-2017, 05:53 AM

6,354 posts, read 3,654,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1grin_g0 View Post
I never have really even seen Democrats attempt to lower taxes on the middle class.
The Obama stimulus gave the middle class $288 billion dollars in tax cuts and incentives.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Americ...Tax_incentives

Obama also tried to give specific tax cuts to the middle class and small businesses (but republicans blocked the legislation.)
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/gop-sen...-middle-class/
https://www.americanexpress.com/us/s...ss-tax-breaks/

And Obama also gave the middle class and small business other tax cuts as well.
Barack Obama said he's cut taxes for 'middle-class families, small businesses' | PolitiFact
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies