U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 03:24 PM

5,163 posts, read 2,843,175 times

Advertisements

I hear this "blue states fund red states" or "blue counties fund red counties" argument all the time in Chicago due to the city vs downstate rivalry. On paper it appears to be true, but if you dig down deeper, it's somewhat deceiving.

Using Mississippi, South Carolina, and Georgia as an examples, it appears that the poorest parts of the state vote blue. I'd imagine that the poor parts of a state have a higher percentage of people making use of government assistance programs.

Any thoughts on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2017, 03:28 PM

17,659 posts, read 10,197,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I hear this "blue states fund red states" or "blue counties fund red counties" argument all the time in Chicago due to the city vs downstate rivalry. On paper it appears to be true, but if you dig down deeper, it's somewhat deceiving.

Using Mississippi, South Carolina, and Georgia as an examples, it appears that the poorest parts of the state vote blue. I'd imagine that the poor parts of a state have a higher percentage of people making use of government assistance programs.

Any thoughts on this?
Rural areas are what elected Trump and rural areas are who tends to vote for Republicans. Further, rural areas cannot support their own infrastructure because they don't have the tax base. That highway that runs through their towns? They can't pay for that and they cannot pay for the maintenance for it. So they tax urban dollars to pay for it while urban votes count less than rural votes. I live in a blue state with red rural areas. They complain that the urban areas control the state. We say "fine, let us keep our tax dollars in our own counties". They suddenly get very quiet because they need our tax dollars.

As American as Apple Pie? The Rural Vote’s Disproportionate Slice of Power

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/21/u...-of-power.html

Old 11-20-2017, 04:35 PM

15,148 posts, read 15,198,298 times
I mean the whole Blue-State/Red-State thing is kinda weird....most states have a fair mixture of both.

There are a lot of Republican in California!

Old 11-20-2017, 05:10 PM

279 posts, read 110,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Rural areas are what elected Trump and rural areas are who tends to vote for Republicans. Further, rural areas cannot support their own infrastructure because they don't have the tax base. That highway that runs through their towns? They can't pay for that and they cannot pay for the maintenance for it. So they tax urban dollars to pay for it while urban votes count less than rural votes. I live in a blue state with red rural areas. They complain that the urban areas control the state. We say "fine, let us keep our tax dollars in our own counties". They suddenly get very quiet because they need our tax dollars.

Truth

Old 11-20-2017, 05:14 PM

5,721 posts, read 4,326,333 times
Quote:

Uhh the largest numbers of poor people are in inner cities. So although the urban areas do help with infrastructure for the entire state...the people in the suburbs and rural areas put less strain on other types of state resources and state funding.

Also those areas are helping fund all of the people on welfare in for the large cities.

wth you can't just pick and choose one little thing to try and prove a point.

Old 11-20-2017, 05:19 PM

2,427 posts, read 783,770 times
This blue States fund red States stuff is just nonsense. How in the world are any States sending more money to DC than they get in Federal spending when we have trillion dollar deficits? They are counting all of the tax money they send to DC and only part of what flows back. How does NY & NJ count the tens of billions in Sandy relief? How do the blue States count military spending, federal employees, Pell grants to their kids, and on and on....

Old 11-20-2017, 05:20 PM

60,066 posts, read 30,586,259 times
Quote:

Any thoughts on this?

Blue States get a federal income tax break, because they have a State income tax. Numbers manipulating and counting one for the other you can come up with any numbers you wish.

But the fact is, those states with a state income tax, pay less in federal taxes than do I.

Old 11-20-2017, 05:26 PM

1,400 posts, read 509,626 times
Quote:

The highways that run through rural areas are used to transport goods to urban areas. If not for an adequate highway system you'd have to pay a lot more at the store, so actually it's the blue urban centers that are being subsidized.

Old 11-20-2017, 06:18 PM

1,259 posts, read 321,748 times
Quote:

Any thoughts on this?
I imagine your imagination is not so good. The wealthier parts of my state (Georgia) are tending blue.

Old 11-20-2017, 07:23 PM

15,832 posts, read 5,390,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Blue States get a federal income tax break, because they have a State income tax. Numbers manipulating and counting one for the other you can come up with any numbers you wish.

But the fact is, those states with a state income tax, pay less in federal taxes than do I.
Only the case if you itemize. I don't have a home mortgage, or kids, and am not married (yet), so I take the standard deduction, and have to pay both federal and state income tax
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies