U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2017, 01:45 PM
Status: "We're all entitled to my own opinion." (set 1 day ago)

17,407 posts, read 8,555,339 times

Advertisements

After all the videos we've seen, how are people still clinging to the fallacy that if you just comply, the encounter with a cop will end well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2017, 07:15 PM

2,126 posts, read 469,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
After all the videos we've seen, how are people still clinging to the fallacy that if you just comply, the encounter with a cop will end well?
What videos are you referring to?

Old 11-28-2017, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maccabee 2A View Post
What videos are you referring to?
Laquon McDonald, for one. They didn't even say anything to him. He was walking down the middle of the street, started walking toward the sidewalk and they shot him in the back - following up with 15 more bullets.

Old 11-29-2017, 01:04 PM

2,126 posts, read 469,964 times
Quote:
Laquon McDonald, for one. They didn't even say anything to him. He was walking down the middle of the street, started walking toward the sidewalk and they shot him in the back - following up with 15 more bullets.
That's very dishonest. He was carrying a knife when he got shot. Now there is a point to be made about them using the tactics they did but to use this as an exampme of cops shooting you even if you comply is wrong on its face.

From Wikipedia:

Quote:
Shortly before 10:00 p.m., police were called to investigate McDonald at 4100 South Pulaski Road responding to reports that he was carrying a knife[11][14] and breaking into vehicles in a trucking yard at 41st Street and Kildare Avenue.[22][23] When officers confronted McDonald, he used a knife with a 3-inch blade to slice the tire on a patrol vehicle and damage its windshield.[23][24] McDonald walked away from police after numerous verbal instructions from officers to drop the knife,[25] at which point responding officers requested Taser backup, according to radio recordings released December 30, 2015, to Politico and NBC Chicago in response to Freedom of Information Act requests.[26]

Video of the shooting shows that Van Dyke was advancing on McDonald, while McDonald was walking away from Van Dyke when the first shot was fired. The first shot hit McDonald, who spun and fell to the ground.[27] As McDonald lay on the ground, still holding the knife, Van Dyke fired more shots into him.[28] In total, Van Dyke shot McDonald 16 times in 14–15 seconds, expending the maximum capacity of his 9mm semi-automatic firearm.[29][25] Van Dyke was on the scene for less than 30 seconds before opening fire and began shooting approximately six seconds after exiting his car.[25] The first responding officer said that he did not see the need to use force, and none of the at least eight other officers on the scene fired their weapons.[29]

Laquan McDonald was taken to Mount Sinai Hospital, where he was pronounced dead at 10:42 p.m.[30]

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ix2N6_jLAgA

Old 11-29-2017, 01:10 PM

4,540 posts, read 3,172,923 times
Quote:
Well, it seems pretty obvious, if you comply with the officers instructions, you have a better chance than not complying. It has worked for me.

Old 11-29-2017, 01:45 PM

4,738 posts, read 2,264,388 times
Quote:
Complying increases your chances by quite a bit. Do you dispute this?

Old 11-29-2017, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maccabee 2A View Post
That's very dishonest. He was carrying a knife when he got shot. Now there is a point to be made about them using the tactics they did but to use this as an exampme of cops shooting you even if you comply is wrong on its face.

From Wikipedia:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ix2N6_jLAgA
Carrying a knife and walking away from them.

Stop already. Do you really think if it was as innocent as you'd like to believe that there would have been a major cover-up from the cops who were on the scene all the way up to the Mayor's office???

But I don't think you live in Chicago since you have to rely on Wikipedia.

Old 11-29-2017, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
Well, it seems pretty obvious, if you comply with the officers instructions, you have a better chance than not complying. It has worked for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Complying increases your chances by quite a bit. Do you dispute this?
You two are conflating the issue. The issue is that people say just comply and the cop won't shoot you. That's bull.

Old 11-30-2017, 08:20 AM

4,540 posts, read 3,172,923 times
Quote:
You two are conflating the issue. The issue is that people say just comply and the cop won't shoot you. That's bull.
Every time in my life(more years than you), that I have had any interaction with law enforcement, my response has been, Yes Sir, No Sir, as appropriate and to do what they requested. I have never been shot. Oh, my old man gave me "The Talk" when I was a kid. Did your old man give you "The Talk"?

Old 11-30-2017, 08:23 AM

4,738 posts, read 2,264,388 times
Quote:
No. I have always been saying complying decreases your chances of the incident ending badly and increases your chances of clearing up any misunderstanding.

In my case, what do you think would have happened if I gave them the ghetto attitude?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or