Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2017, 09:18 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,113,787 times

Advertisements

This past Sunday night, I wanted to buy a particular item from a local farmer. I went and met up with him and looked at the item thoroughly. I couldn't wait to buy it. Unfortunately, there were 3 other guys who wanted to buy it and the farmer only wanted cash. No check.

Where to get $2000 cash on a Sunday night? I was going to wait till the next day when my bank opens. But the farmer said whoever that could get there first he would sell to. So, I came up with a way to get $2000 cash.

I went to walmart and did some grocery shopping. Then I checked out each item at a time getting cash back each time. The limit for cashback is $100. So, 20 items would get me $2000 cash back.

$900 in, I was surrounded by walmart security and the local PD. They asked me for my ID and what I was doing. I gave them my ID, debit card, credit card, and business card. I then explained why I was doing what I was doing and that I completely understood why they were suspicious. They ran a check on me. Everything checked out. And I went ahead and continued until I had my $2000. Walked out to my car with my grocery and a lot of cash. I waved at the police indicating that I was leaving, and they waved back at me. And that was that.

My point of the story is this. I was 100% cooperative and 100% calm. They wanted to see my ID? They can have it. They wanted to see my cards, they can have it. They wanted to know what I was doing, I calmly told them everything. I even showed them the ad for the item I wanted to buy on my phone.

You know those high profile cases of people getting tased, beaten, or even shot by the police? If you watch the videos, I'm not saying in all cases but I dare say in most cases the victims were very rude, very confrontational, and acted like they were on a crusade. They always screamed things like "why do you want my ID? What are you charging me with?" Then there were the annoying people with loud music and refused to turn it down when the cop asked them to.

In my case, I was 100% suspicious. And no, I'm not white. I'm not a dick to the police. I follow the rules, sometimes creatively. And when I do something I know could be viewed as suspicious, I would cooperate 100% to clear up any misunderstanding.

If you don't want to be beaten, tased, or shot by the police, just cooperate. Don't be a dick about it. Just give them your ID and whatever information they ask for. I'm not saying this will allow you to survive 100% of the police encounters. But it will greatly increase your chances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2017, 09:22 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
Good for you. To argue that you should cede your civil rights to keep from getting beat or killed is B.S. though.

Old 11-21-2017, 09:25 AM

17,003 posts, read 12,588,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Good for you. To argue that you should cede your civil rights to keep from getting beat or killed is B.S. though.
This. None of their business but comes under "not worth the fight"

You were lucky they did not confiscate your money. Kudos to whatever police department for not being thieves.

Old 11-21-2017, 09:25 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,542,421 times
Quote:
which civil rights were ceded by the OP?

Old 11-21-2017, 09:27 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,556,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
This past Sunday night, I wanted to buy a particular item from a local farmer. I went and met up with him and looked at the item thoroughly. I couldn't wait to buy it. Unfortunately, there were 3 other guys who wanted to buy it and the farmer only wanted cash. No check.

Where to get $2000 cash on a Sunday night? I was going to wait till the next day when my bank opens. But the farmer said whoever that could get there first he would sell to. So, I came up with a way to get $2000 cash.

I went to walmart and did some grocery shopping. Then I checked out each item at a time getting cash back each time. The limit for cashback is $100. So, 20 items would get me $2000 cash back.

$900 in, I was surrounded by walmart security and the local PD. They asked me for my ID and what I was doing. I gave them my ID, debit card, credit card, and business card. I then explained why I was doing what I was doing and that I completely understood why they were suspicious. They ran a check on me. Everything checked out. And I went ahead and continued until I had my $2000. Walked out to my car with my grocery and a lot of cash. I waved at the police indicating that I was leaving, and they waved back at me. And that was that.

My point of the story is this. I was 100% cooperative and 100% calm. They wanted to see my ID? They can have it. They wanted to see my cards, they can have it. They wanted to know what I was doing, I calmly told them everything. I even showed them the ad for the item I wanted to buy on my phone.

You know those high profile cases of people getting tased, beaten, or even shot by the police? If you watch the videos, I'm not saying in all cases but I dare say in most cases the victims were very rude, very confrontational, and acted like they were on a crusade. They always screamed things like "why do you want my ID? What are you charging me with?" Then there were the annoying people with loud music and refused to turn it down when the cop asked them to.

In my case, I was 100% suspicious. And no, I'm not white. I'm not a dick to the police. I follow the rules, sometimes creatively. And when I do something I know could be viewed as suspicious, I would cooperate 100% to clear up any misunderstanding.

If you don't want to be beaten, tased, or shot by the police, just cooperate. Don't be a dick about it. Just give them your ID and whatever information they ask for. I'm not saying this will allow you to survive 100% of the police encounters. But it will greatly increase your chances.
Great fictional story!

Old 11-21-2017, 09:29 AM

16,961 posts, read 17,337,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post

If you don't want to be beaten, tased, or shot by the police, just cooperate.
Its really that simple.

Old 11-21-2017, 09:29 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,113,787 times
Quote:
Can you tell me which civil rights I ceded to them?

Old 11-21-2017, 09:31 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,925,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
They weren't, you missed his point entirely.

Old 11-21-2017, 09:32 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
I didn't argue they were. The OP argued one should cede them if they do not want beat or killed.

If you don't want to be beaten, tased, or shot by the police, just cooperate.

If they are demanding that you do something you do not have to do, you should not simply have to cooperate to keep from getting beat or killed.

Old 11-21-2017, 09:32 AM

4,540 posts, read 2,783,284 times
$2000 cash at a Walmart. Good grief, I hope you thanked the manager and apologized to everyone in line behind you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies