Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2017, 12:51 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,955,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I'd caution about making ANYTHING too big of a deal to young kids, good way to create some sort of mental hang-up.
No one is advocating making a big deal out of anything. We’re just saying stop telling your daughter to go give grandpa a hug, and don’t make her feel like she’s being rude when she doesn’t want to receive a hug.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2017, 12:55 PM

78,335 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Imagine being so invested in ass-backwards patriarchy that you think giving women and children control over who touches them is a slippery slope.
While I don't agree with that poster on this topic, most of the stuff you're trying to roast them over they never actually wrote or even implied.

Old 11-21-2017, 12:59 PM

78,335 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
No one is advocating making a big deal out of anything. We’re just saying stop telling your daughter to go give grandpa a hug, and don’t make her feel like she’s being rude when she doesn’t want to receive a hug.
....in other words, exactly the point I was making....don't make a big deal out of it.

One would think that forcing a kid in front of relatives to do something they don't want to isn't exactly "de-escalating" the situation right?

I'd suggest taking several deep breaths and slowly reading peoples posts more than once before responding if you're this upset because you're rampage posting at this point.

Old 11-21-2017, 12:59 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
Women were respected before the sexual revolution? Look up the 50s and see how they were treated.
But respectfully so. Their pretty little heads just weren't burdened with all those decisions the menfolk took off their shoulders and made for them. The men of the time respected that the female mind just wasn't up for all the difficulties of agency on their own behalf.

Old 11-21-2017, 01:02 PM

684 posts, read 1,150,178 times
Women initiate hugs with me waaaaaaay more than men do. Sexual assault?

Old 11-21-2017, 01:05 PM

2,112 posts, read 1,140,284 times
I never "forced" my daughter to hug her grandmother or grandfather, it was her choice, bu I did encourage it.

Old 11-21-2017, 02:33 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Forced hugging is not the epidemic that some of you people believe it is and it cannot be blamed for damaged women.
Who’s saying it’s either an epidemic or may be blamed for damaged women?

This is literally such a simple concept I can’t believe there’s pushback against it. I wouldn’t make a big deal out of hugs unless a kid starts to or tells me they don’t want to hug someone for some reason at some point. Then I would say “okay” and not make them, and stick up for them if grandma or whoever tries to make it a big thing. That’s it. I think people are imagining much more convoluted scenarios for some reason.

Old 11-21-2017, 02:38 PM

1,115 posts, read 1,208,495 times
Is anybody really forcing children to give hugs? Like are they punishing them if they won't? Isn't it more of a suggestion, ie "It's time to go, give everybody a hug goodbye!" The whole thing seems like such a tempest in a teapot.

Old 11-21-2017, 02:40 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,133,491 times
I would never force my kids to hug or kiss someone. I wasn't made to hug or kiss anyone I didn't want to either, and I think that was a good thing. It's crucial that people understand that they have ownership over their own bodies.

Old 11-21-2017, 02:41 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,133,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullCity75 View Post
Is anybody really forcing children to give hugs? Like are they punishing them if they won't? Isn't it more of a suggestion, ie "It's time to go, give everybody a hug goodbye!" The whole thing seems like such a tempest in a teapot.
I've seen people demanding that their kids give their relatives or guests a hug when the kid clearly didn't want to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies