U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2017, 03:53 PM

15,203 posts, read 16,070,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
So when you go to a funeral you don't give the family of the loved one a hug and condolences? You wouldn't want your child to get a hug from a family friend showing concern and compassion for their loss? Why is everything sexual in nature with you people? Why? Why can't it be just a good gesture?
It's not that everything is sexual. It's a matter of respecting peoples' boundaries regarding who they want to touch and who they don't want to touch. And children are people, so their boundaries are entitled to respect as well.

You can show compassion in a lot of ways that don't involve hugging.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2017, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
i'm not suggesting you force them to hug those they dont wanna hug, its the REASON behind it..

an estimated 300K people are sexually assaulted per year, so to tell your children dont give a hug because .1% of the population is sexually assaulted, and .03% of them are from family members per year.. then you shouldnt show affection..

Not forcing them to hug, and telling them dont hug anyone because some people are sexually assaulted is not the same thing..
I don't think that's why people tell their kids they don't have to hug anyone they don't want to. I think they say things like "You don't have to hug anyone if it makes you feel uncomfortable."

You can still teach your children to politely greet people with handshakes and eye contact.

Old 11-21-2017, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
I would never force my kids to hug or kiss someone. I wasn't made to hug or kiss anyone I didn't want to either, and I think that was a good thing. It's crucial that people understand that they have ownership over their own bodies.
This is the point.

Old 11-21-2017, 04:04 PM

41,984 posts, read 31,779,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Can I gracefully raise their hand and kiss the back of it? Like back before the sexual revolution, when women were respected and not seen as sex slaves.
Would you lift the hand of a man and kiss it?

Old 11-21-2017, 04:17 PM

21,777 posts, read 10,623,712 times
Quote:
Well I agree with the thought process, I greatly disagree with their rationality.. This morning I heard you shouldnt force people to hug because 1/3rd of those sexually assaulted are from family members.

What a horrible reason. This is like claiming people die because idiots get behind a wheel after drinking, so we shouldnt buy cars.
That logic only works if we are talking about being forced to drive rather than a voluntary action. if someone says they dont want to drive, they can take a bus, ride a bike or walk. but you are not telling them they can never drive.

Old 11-21-2017, 04:26 PM

41,984 posts, read 31,779,380 times
Quote:
maybe some people need a hug in that scenario.. Why would you automatically assume someone who wants to hug you to show they are concerned, wants to grope you?

When 2 guys meet they are more likely to shake hands than hug.

It is unlikely a guy would place his hands around another guy's waist as a part of a hug.

When 2 guys meet they are unlikely to go in for a kiss.

A guy is unlikely to take the hand of another guy and kiss the top of it.

It's uncommon for guy to tell another guy to smile.

Unlikely an adult male would tell a boy to twirl for him.

Unlikely an adult male would put a 5 or 7 or 10 or 14 year old boy on his lap.

Unlikely an adult male would ask a 5 or 7 or 10 or 14 year old boy to give him a kiss.

Nothing to do with groping. It's not about YOU.

Use your words to express your concern/ sympathy/ delight whatever. Respect other people's space.

Old 11-21-2017, 04:36 PM

9,048 posts, read 2,726,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Can I gracefully raise their hand and kiss the back of it? Like back before the sexual revolution, when women were respected and not seen as sex slaves.
lol bentbow, relearn your history women were treated like crap. Sure on the surface some might have been treated like an object to be coveted and secured but mostly they were just treated like dirt.

no votes, no power, no rights. thier worldly good were routinely stolen, there was no such thing as rape in marriage, they had no power other than navigating through a man world hoping to avoid a transgression that set off their husband ,father ,brother and so on.

don't delude yourself, it is easy to pretend the world was great back when, but it mostly sucked for most people.

In fact despite the media; in the west things have NEVER been better for most people male and female.

Old 11-21-2017, 04:46 PM

27,331 posts, read 15,077,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
www.thecut.com/2016/10/dont-tell-a-little-girl-to-hug-someone-against-her-will.html

Why you should never force your kid to go in for the hug - Chicago Tribune

abcnews.go.com/Lifestyle/girl-scouts-force-kids-hug-relatives-holiday-season/story?id=51275036

edition.cnn.com/2012/06/20/living/give-grandma-hug-child/index.html

Agree
Disagree
The World's Lost its Marbles?
Don't force any child to hug - male or female is basic body autonomy 101.

Old 11-21-2017, 04:47 PM

4,805 posts, read 1,552,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
Women were respected before the sexual revolution? Look up the 50s and see how they were treated.
Yes, they were provided for and respected and loved. They were revered enough that men understood what a special bond there is between mother and child, and they weren't forced to get jobs and dump kids in daycare. Men would actually marry and take care of the kids they fathered, no laws or courts necessary. Responsibility and love.

Were there unhappy women there? Of course. Are there unhappy women now? Of course. Someone is always unhappy.

But it was not the mass drug induced stupor valley of the dolls nonsense they brainwash, er, teach all women to believe happened at that time. That was a vocal minority, not the majority.

Old 11-21-2017, 04:50 PM

25,060 posts, read 22,141,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
http://www.thecut.com/2016/10/dont-t...-her-will.html

Why you should never force your kid to go in for the hug - Chicago Tribune

abcnews.go.com/Lifestyle/girl-scouts-force-kids-hug-relatives-holiday-season/story?id=51275036

edition.cnn.com/2012/06/20/living/give-grandma-hug-child/index.html

Agree
Disagree
The World's Lost its Marbles?
As a Latino, I have one thing to say, WTF did I just read? Family hugs tell girls it's ok to sleep your way to the top, basically?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or