Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2017, 12:14 PM

13,899 posts, read 6,420,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
But it’s something you’re overlooking and instead you’re making it into an SJW liberal thing. It isn’t about politics, as someone said. You’re lucky if you haven’t experienced child sexual abuse in any form in your family, whether you or anyone else, but it’s not rare and those you know are more of a danger to your kids than those you don’t. Even without that aspect, why would you force a child to hug someone they don’t want to? Do you force yourself to hug people when you don’t want to? If so, you shouldn’t. It’s not as big a deal as you’re making it seem. It’s pretty basic rules of touching and respecting boundaries that kids should always learn.
So when you go to a funeral you don't give the family of the loved one a hug and condolences? You wouldn't want your child to get a hug from a family friend showing concern and compassion for their loss? Why is everything sexual in nature with you people? Why? Why can't it be just a good gesture?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

69,368 posts, read 63,972,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Why is that a horrible reason for not forcing someone to hug? It’s literally as basic as if someone doesn’t want to touch you/be touched, leave them alone. That’s all. It doesn’t even require a reason, but basic respect and boundaries. Whether sexual abuse is a reason or not, it doesn’t really matter - but it Is something to consider just in general when discussing this.

Your analogy is way off.
i'm not suggesting you force them to hug those they dont wanna hug, its the REASON behind it..

an estimated 300K people are sexually assaulted per year, so to tell your children dont give a hug because .1% of the population is sexually assaulted, and .03% of them are from family members per year.. then you shouldnt show affection..

Not forcing them to hug, and telling them dont hug anyone because some people are sexually assaulted is not the same thing..

5,313 posts, read 2,101,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
*Shrug* I think no one should be forced to hug. I was just using her as an example of someone I bet they wouldn’t want to hug since they seemed to want to still make people touch even if they didn’t want to.

28,164 posts, read 25,227,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
So when you go to a funeral you don't give the family of the loved one a hug and condolences? You wouldn't want your child to get a hug from a family friend showing concern and compassion for their loss? Why is everything sexual in nature with you people? Why? Why can't it be just a good gesture?
Not always. Depends on who it is.

Why do you have to hug me to show me compassion or concern?

Old 11-21-2017, 12:16 PM

69,368 posts, read 63,972,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post

maybe some people need a hug in that scenario.. Why would you automatically assume someone who wants to hug you to show they are concerned, wants to grope you?

Old 11-21-2017, 12:17 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,931,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
I do what I want and what I feel is appropriate because I’m an adult. There’s no reason a child can’t make the same decision. In reality, most emotionally healthy kids will probably want to hug those they love, know, and trust. But no, I won’t force them to hug those they barely know, not even at a funeral. It depends on the situation.

I’m not making anything sexual. Far from it.

Old 11-21-2017, 12:18 PM

13,899 posts, read 6,420,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post

It's customary where I grew up. Don't know about you but it's been that way forever. So I guess the hug a terrorist bit is no good anymore and was the wrong approach from the beginning eh?

Old 11-21-2017, 12:19 PM

39,020 posts, read 51,057,832 times
Men should not be allowed to touch children that are not their own and even that should be closely supervised.

Old 11-21-2017, 12:20 PM

78,866 posts, read 46,485,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
Women were respected before the sexual revolution? Look up the 50s and see how they were treated.

Certainly the prudeness levels were higher and not visioned as sex slaves, with single moms at the levels there are today.

Old 11-21-2017, 12:20 PM

5,313 posts, read 2,101,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
maybe some people need a hug in that scenario.. Why would you automatically assume someone who wants to hug you to show they are concerned, wants to grope you?
It’s not assuming they’ll be groped. Some people just don’t want contact, sometimes or even never. If I’m sad, sometimes I just want to retreat and be left alone for a bit at least. Other times I do want to have a hug. Some people have sensory issues, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies