Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2017, 11:47 AM

3,538 posts, read 1,327,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
The two clips are ridiculous. The one school with the black teacher has no kids reading at grade level. So his little dap thing isn't working.
Site your sources for "no kids reading at grade level". You're saying the whole school can't read at grade level. And site your sources that this teachers classes are underperforming.

And, the whole thread has FALSELY been about schools being violent or whatever, this black teacher and that white teacher seem to have their kids smiling while walking in to class. If any of yall actually read the article, the teachers quit for a variety of reasons and retirements. The OP's headline just says violence. And people immediately went and checked the demographics and applied the racist talking point templates. Again the teachers quit for a variety of reasons and retirements. They didn't all quit over violence. But I guess once you get that boulder rolling down hill on this site it won't stop. The main problem I see with many teachers, again, is that many of them really don't know how to connect with kids and inspire them to learn. You can't roll into a class room with packets and just hand out assignments and not engage them. Some teachers are great at it, some teachers clearly get in over their heads. I'm not going to sit here and say an entire school district of kids is the problem. That's ridiculous. And there are lots of people that have zero knowledge of black kids, black neighborhoods, and predominantly black schools talking out of their backside in this thread. The whole "they think learning is too white" is a myth. I have no doubt somebody will eventually say something "kids that want to learn in black schools get jumped". All these silly myths.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2017, 11:48 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,597,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
PBS's Race Section, Code Switch, ran a series about an new type of school that would save black boys. They followed this new all-boy, overwhelmingly black charter school. They were going to do things differently, no suspensions, just restorative justice. They were to wear suits and be referred to as "kings". The student body would be economically diverse with middle income kids, one kid of a Congressman was enrolled. Still the school would serve mostly low income. Then there was the "Care Team", a psychologists and other staff to deal with issues.

Anyway it's all very interesting and ended pretty predictably. One kid who at the beginning of the series sat with his worried mother promising to do good, ends up shot at a dice game. Another punches a staff member. Academically the kids aren't doing too well. At any rate the most shocking thing to me was a District policy that allowed kids to pass a class if they passed one quarter. This is addition to giving half-credit, instead of a zero to kids that don't turn in their homework.

https://www.npr.org/sections/codeswi...high-standards
That school would have worked if they had actual discipline, rather than embracing "restorative justice", and if it did not follow district policies regarding passing kids who didn't rurn in homework or who merely passed one quarter.

Old 11-22-2017, 12:13 PM

17,003 posts, read 12,588,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
How did he get the teacher fired? I thought the teachers unions were pretty strong there.

But I agree, the first few posts were disgusting in their assumptions. It isn’t about race. It’s about kids not respecting authority anymore, and it’s not limited to race. I also heard they discourage real punishment these days.

What used to get a kid suspended now gets them in school suspension, but they still get to turn in their work and get full credit for it. When I was younger, a suspension meant you got zeros in all your classes and it was counted as unexcused absences. When you got more than five unexcused absences in a class in a semester you automatically failed the semester, no matter how well you did on tests or class work. It was a pretty effective deterrent.

Plus, we got a choice between detentions or swats, at least the guys did anyway. At our school you could only choose swats if there was a teacher of your sex that would do it. No female teachers did it, so us girls didn’t get the choice. Believe it or not, many or most guys would take the swats over losing credit or having to go to a detention.
Wow. Im 50 and it was always detention or suspension. No swats.

Old 11-22-2017, 12:59 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,137,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Wow. Im 50 and it was always detention or suspension. No swats.
In my school, it was primarily points being deducted from your grade.

Old 11-22-2017, 01:48 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,634,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
No. It's not liberals. Don't start that again.

I'm liberal and I had to be a teacher of kids like this. I am 100% opposed to all this silly helicopter parenting and spoiling of kids. Maybe I should just blame it on conservatives?
this is just another rightwing thinly veiled racist thread, don't encourage them.

It is all about getting as close as they can to racist rhetoric while avoiding the ban hammer.

Old 11-22-2017, 01:56 PM

73,005 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
In my school, it was primarily points being deducted from your grade.
It won't work on people who are already doing poorly in school. Alot of kids with behavior issues have academic issues. It isn't just one issue or the other. It is a combination of issues.

Old 11-22-2017, 01:58 PM

59,017 posts, read 27,290,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Over 45 public school teachers in Harrisburg resigned due to an unsafe environment. They begged the school board for help with trouble students. These "kids" keep attacking teachers and other students and breaking property. But the district won't do anything about it.

Student violence led to 45 Pennsylvania teachers quitting | Daily Mail Online
Education has been around for AGES.

One would think by now the educated "educators" with all their BA's and Masters degrees would know HOW to have discipline in schools.

And some wonder why many people today do NOT give the same respect to teachers like we used.

Old 11-22-2017, 02:00 PM

59,017 posts, read 27,290,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
No mention of race in the article, but Harrisburg is a majority black city. This may be connected to the larger trend toward increased black violence in cities across America in the past few years.
"No mention of race in the article"

If they were white it WOULD be eh focal point of the article.

Old 11-22-2017, 02:00 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,597,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Education has been around for AGES.

One would think by now the educated "educators" with all their BA's and Masters degrees would know HOW to have discipline in schools.

And some wonder why many people today do NOT give the same respect to teachers like we used.
New Left/PC influence. Ed departments were captured by the radical left in the 1970s and adapted the doctrines of Herbert Marcuse.

Old 11-22-2017, 02:02 PM

73,005 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"No mention of race in the article"

If they were white it WOULD be eh focal point of the article.
When these school shootings were taking place, no mention of race. And these were mainly White schools. And for not mentioning race in the article, I don't think it would be necessary. Alot of people would figure it out. These are inner city schools in the ghettos we are talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies