Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2018, 09:48 AM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Public education does still work in communities where the parents and the teachers work together to educate the kids. Those communities are becoming fewer and farther between. We would be best off to subsidize private education only for kids who get the grades to justify it.
How about this. Keep the public schools. Kick kids out who are causing problems in schools. Start increasing the standards to become a teacher, and pay the teachers more. And start holding parents responsible for the problems their kid cause, as well as the kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2018, 09:53 AM

45,323 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
Parents are never a problem at good schools. At bad ones, most are nowhere to be found but what to do when you have single-parent household where the parent might work multiple jobs ?

When I was in school discipline was strict - bad kids were spanked. Repeat offenders were kicked out and went to boys-town, a semi-prison like environments. Violence is not the answer but disrespect in the classroom is viral. In the best interests of society and better outcomes the whole school system should be far more structured and disciplined. Essentially they need to provide what is lacking at home. In this country it is difficult because we grant our children far too much autonomy and freedom.
Yeah they are, just a different set of problems.

As far as spanking goes, try that today and teachers would get their asses kicked. I was fortunate that even the worst kids would stand down for me, mostly because I didn't make a spectacle of them.

In my opinion, teachers who would revert to the wood would be the same ones who delight in pushing kids' buttons. That was the way it was when I was in school 50 years ago, some teachers could control any kid with a look or a word while others pulled out the stick. It would be the same today. And do you really think that the hard core incorrigibles would stand still while getting whacked? Remember that some of them are in school solely because the Court demands it.

Who do you think is the more successful teacher?

Old 01-06-2018, 10:22 AM

4,381 posts, read 4,231,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post

As far as spanking goes, try that today and teachers would get their asses kicked. I was fortunate that even the worst kids would stand down for me, mostly because I didn't make a spectacle of them.

In my opinion, teachers who would revert to the wood would be the same ones who delight in pushing kids' buttons. That was the way it was when I was in school 50 years ago, some teachers could control any kid with a look or a word while others pulled out the stick. It would be the same today. And do you really think that the hard core incorrigibles would stand still while getting whacked? Remember that some of them are in school solely because the Court demands it.

When I have a particularly recalcitrant student, I will ask him/her "Are you under court order to attend school?" I'm not surprised that nearly 100% of the time, the answer is "Yes" with the student wearing a puzzled expression wondering how I knew.

Old 01-06-2018, 10:37 AM

30,141 posts, read 11,765,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slats Grobnick View Post
Daily Mail, tabloid rag, I don't trust them

I looked up another site and they said that not all the teachers resigned because of the violence

PA Teachers Resign Due To Violence « CBS Philly
The headline of your link says the same thing as the other link.

Perhaps paddling unruly kids actually worked.

Old 01-06-2018, 10:51 AM

45,323 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Uhhh huh, you just keep on believing that. If what you say is actually true (dubious given my experience) then it'd be the exception NOT the rule.

Just because someone's grateful that someone is finally doing something doesn't mean they're doing everything they could/should be doing.

In fact, if you asked your "sister" I'd bet she'd tell you that if she had the support and funding from her district/administration equal to what a "normal" class has, funding and/or resources that her SPED class SHOULD have she could do way more...
I don't know where you are but SPED is the one program that does get funded fully. The penalties for a school system, both from federal and state agencies, are too great to not do it. A fact that the school system learned to its chagrin a number of years ago after several multimillion dollar settlements were handed down.

Old 01-06-2018, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post

One thing that many people do not understand is this. Some of these kids are bigger than the teachers. And they have no respect for teachers, or anyone in positions of authority. For said persons, the paddle or the belt would never work. They would just try and fight the teacher.

I also have to consider this. We have comedians who brag about the objects they were spanked with by their mothers. Stuff like extension cables. And then there are some kids who brag about how tough they are because they withstood getting beaten.
Why does 5-year-old Zay Zay joke about being whipped?

I do agree with you that alot of kids are in school only because the courts require it. Some of those kids are the ones who shouldn't be in school. Very often the parents only have them in school because they don't want to deal with the kids during the day. The schools function like prisons, which they are not meant to function that way. You can't have a bunch of youths out in the streets causing mayhem, so the schools are like defacto holding centers for those kids. The students who want to learn, who want to better themselves, are left to the mercy of the violent kids in the schools.

Some teachers are only in teaching because they get the summers off. Because of that, this has some effect on how teachers treat students.

Old 01-06-2018, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
When I have a particularly recalcitrant student, I will ask him/her "Are you under court order to attend school?" I'm not surprised that nearly 100% of the time, the answer is "Yes" with the student wearing a puzzled expression wondering how I knew.
I can describe my high school years as being a mixed bag, but there were alot of bad moments. Dealt with alot of bullies. One particular bully said something that mirrors what you are speaking of. One of my teachers was addressing the class(or rather several students) on their behavior during class. That particular bully said "being here is unpleasant, and we're being forced to be here". Looking back, it explained some of the kids who messed with me. They weren't particularly interested in being at school. They were there because they had to be, and were looking for people to take it out on.

Old 01-06-2018, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
The headline of your link says the same thing as the other link.

Perhaps paddling unruly kids actually worked.
In several states paddling is used. Why Are 19 States Still Allowing Corporal Punishment in Schools?

Mississippi uses it the most. The schools still have plenty of unruly kids.

Old 01-06-2018, 11:12 AM

34,002 posts, read 17,035,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Exactly. Hood rats breeding hood rats. Bad behaviour begets bad behaviour.

Not up to the schools to raise the kids. Discipline begins at home.

Old 01-06-2018, 11:14 AM

34,002 posts, read 17,035,093 times
Violence by students toward teachers should be treated as a hate crime, punished with JAIL for the first offense.

When the Hood Rat gets a year behind bars, the next one does not raise his/her fist.

Plus we are acclimating them to where they will spend most of their lives anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies