U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-06-2018, 12:39 PM
 
9,964 posts, read 11,821,769 times
Reputation: 13284

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
No mention of race in the article, but Harrisburg is a majority black city. This may be connected to the larger trend toward increased black violence in cities across America in the past few years.
Of course they won't mention blacks in a black city because, just like ketchup, racism can be poured on anything.

I absolutely would not send any child of mine to a black dominated school and if I had to work three jobs to do that then that is what I would do.

I am so sick and tired of race politics and all the garbage that goes along with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-06-2018, 12:51 PM
 
44,600 posts, read 43,135,258 times
Reputation: 14398
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
I moved to Ct.
Connecticut's imprisonment rate is similar to New Jersey's, and much lower than places such as Louisiana, Oklahoma, Georgia, Florida, Alabama, and Mississippi. Connecticut also has alot of good schools. Ranks high in education. Massachusetts has an even lower rate of incarceration. Level of education in CT and MA is quite high for those states. Boston isn't the killing field that New Orleans is, or Birmingham. Louisiana alone has a higher number of murders than the entirety of New England. All of New England had 321 murders. Louisiana had 481, giving the state a murder rate of 10.3 murders per 100,000. It also ranks badly in terms of education.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2018, 12:52 PM
 
44,600 posts, read 43,135,258 times
Reputation: 14398
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Of course they won't mention blacks in a black city because, just like ketchup, racism can be poured on anything.

I absolutely would not send any child of mine to a black dominated school and if I had to work three jobs to do that then that is what I would do.

I am so sick and tired of race politics and all the garbage that goes along with it.
If you are sick of race politics, then you shouldn't talk about race either. If you say you won't send your child to a Black dominated school, don't complain with others talk about race.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2018, 01:39 PM
 
Location: North Beach, MD on the Chesapeake
32,117 posts, read 39,212,961 times
Reputation: 40582
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
If you are sick of race politics, then you shouldn't talk about race either. If you say you won't send your child to a Black dominated school, don't complain with others talk about race.

Here's the problem. You/We as a nation can't discuss the issues facing public schools without involving race.

The fact that the school systems most often cited as failing (DC, Baltimore, Harrisburg, etc.) are predominately minority.

We can't discuss achievement without asking why the SAT scores of Black students in the highest socio-economic group are only 10 combined points higher than those of White students in the lowest economic group. The College Board really hates that stat.


We have to wonder why only .3% of Black and Hispanic students make it past the first round for National Merit Scholarships.

Bringing it closer to my home, we have to ask why the SAT scores at the predominately Black high school where I taught, which had better metrics on parental education/income/etc. were 300 combined points lower than at the predominately White school my personal children attended.

If I had the answers I'd have sold them and bought a tropical island when I retired.

But because of race we can't discuss any of that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2018, 03:07 PM
 
44,600 posts, read 43,135,258 times
Reputation: 14398
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Here's the problem. You/We as a nation can't discuss the issues facing public schools without involving race.

The fact that the school systems most often cited as failing (DC, Baltimore, Harrisburg, etc.) are predominately minority.

We can't discuss achievement without asking why the SAT scores of Black students in the highest socio-economic group are only 10 combined points higher than those of White students in the lowest economic group. The College Board really hates that stat.


We have to wonder why only .3% of Black and Hispanic students make it past the first round for National Merit Scholarships.

Bringing it closer to my home, we have to ask why the SAT scores at the predominately Black high school where I taught, which had better metrics on parental education/income/etc. were 300 combined points lower than at the predominately White school my personal children attended.

If I had the answers I'd have sold them and bought a tropical island when I retired.

But because of race we can't discuss any of that.
You are missing my point. This was in response to someone else who said they didn't want to hear anymore about race in politics. If said person is sick of it, why constantly bring it up?

There is a reason race is so hard to discuss. The history of racial issues in the USA and the anger/resentment. I also will point to this. There are people who come here simply to complain about Blacks and Hispanics. If that is a big reason for discussing such issues, there is no real point to discuss it. The only thing that comes out of it is more anger and resentment.

Personally, the statistics you mention, NMS, SAT scores, and race I don't think about this stuff personally. What someone else scores on an SAT score doesn't affect me. What does affect me is what someone thinks of me, whether or not I can get a job. The only time I think about it is when it gets mentioned, and put in my face. Then I have to think about these things and research these things, if only to debate people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2018, 03:10 PM
 
Location: North Beach, MD on the Chesapeake
32,117 posts, read 39,212,961 times
Reputation: 40582
[quote=green_mariner;50617614]You are missing my point. This was in response to someone else who said they didn't want to hear anymore about race in politics. If said person is sick of it, why constantly bring it up?

There is a reason race is so hard to discuss. The history of racial issues in the USA and the anger/resentment. I also will point to this. There are people who come here simply to complain about Blacks and Hispanics. If that is a big reason for discussing such issues, there is no real point to discuss it. The only thing that comes out of it is more anger and resentment.

Personally, the statistics you mention, NMS, SAT scores, and race I don't think about this stuff personally. What someone else scores on an SAT score doesn't affect me. What does affect me is what someone thinks of me, whether or not I can get a job. The only time I think about it is when it gets mentioned, and put in my face. Then I have to think about these things and research these things, if only to debate people.[/QUOTE]

You may not think about those things but those things, plus a bunch more like discipline, are what are driving educational policy and the reforms of the last 30 years.

Look up disparate impact as a starting point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2018, 03:18 PM
 
Location: Earth
17,449 posts, read 22,970,647 times
Reputation: 7246
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
If said person is a hood rat, fear of prison time will not be a deterrent. Hood rat mentality is that of "I don't respect authority or anyone. I don't care about anyone but me". Prison time will keep a hood rat away. However, the fear of prison time won't stop the next hood rat because of the mentality behind being a hood rat.
Fear of prison time isn't a deterrent, but fear of getting caught is.

One of the oldest truisms of criminology going back to Peel's day is that the likelihood of apprehension is a bigger deterrent than the severity of a sentence.

Also, I think we need a different kind of person going into teaching.

I once wrote on these boards, in my more liberal days, that our society would be better if the type of people drawn towards policing would go into teaching and the type of people drawn towards teaching would go into law enforcement. I still agree with that. A guy who fought Taliban in hand to hand combat is better prepared for public school teaching than some SJW from an affluent suburb. They would also garner more respect from their students, even the hood rats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2018, 03:24 PM
 
44,600 posts, read 43,135,258 times
Reputation: 14398
Quote:
You may not think about those things but those things, plus a bunch more like discipline, are what are driving educational policy and the reforms of the last 30 years.

Look up disparate impact as a starting point.
Okay, so those are driving policies. Where does this leave me? Why do some people feel the need to shove this in my face? I can't do anything about kids who won't do well in school. I have no kids of my own and I don't teach. The best that I can do is to take care of my business. If you think I can do something more, let me know. And what about the rest of what I wrote? I notice you didn't speak about that stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2018, 03:32 PM
 
44,600 posts, read 43,135,258 times
Reputation: 14398
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Fear of prison time isn't a deterrent, but fear of getting caught is.

One of the oldest truisms of criminology going back to Peel's day is that the likelihood of apprehension is a bigger deterrent than the severity of a sentence.

Also, I think we need a different kind of person going into teaching.

I once wrote on these boards, in my more liberal days, that our society would be better if the type of people drawn towards policing would go into teaching and the type of people drawn towards teaching would go into law enforcement. I still agree with that. A guy who fought Taliban in hand to hand combat is better prepared for public school teaching than some SJW from an affluent suburb. They would also garner more respect from their students, even the hood rats.
I am having a hard time agreeing with that. If a hood rat is not deterred by the threat of prison, why would said person be deterred by the fear of getting caught? If one is afraid of getting caught, said person is more likely to be afraid of prison or anything else that comes with getting caught.

People who are drawn to policing vs people drawn to teaching. I do wonder how both professions intersect. I have heard of teachers becoming prison guards. I'm also thinking about what would make someone who was in the Taliban be prepared to be a teacher. On the other hand, I know two former teachers who were in the U.S. military. Both teachers were very well liked and respected by their students.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2018, 03:37 PM
 
Location: North Beach, MD on the Chesapeake
32,117 posts, read 39,212,961 times
Reputation: 40582
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Okay, so those are driving policies. Where does this leave me? Why do some people feel the need to shove this in my face? I can't do anything about kids who won't do well in school. I have no kids of my own and I don't teach. The best that I can do is to take care of my business. If you think I can do something more, let me know. And what about the rest of what I wrote? I notice you didn't speak about that stuff.
Why? Because you're participating. By commenting and asking for explanations and clarification. How it impacts you is ongoing, and will be for your entire life. You will be supporting those nonfunctional individuals as long as you live, no matter where they are.

I didn't address your other comments because why should I? The reality is that race intertwines this. It's real difficult for kids and parents to cry racism in systems run by members of their own race from school board on down. Yet that happens.

The question that needs to be asked is why do minorities do so poorly? Not all of them, I taught many who were so smart that they scared you, but that's not who we're talking about in the school systems most often highlighted as failing.

And we can't talk about it because invariably someone ends up throwing the race card.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top