U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2017, 07:57 PM

9,999 posts, read 4,218,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Of course having two parents in the home is better than one as long as they’re not abusive. Studies have shown that over and over again. My objection to the stigma is the women are the ones getting all the fingers pointed at them. What about the fathers who won’t take responsibility?
I agree. At least the mothers are at least trying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2017, 07:58 PM

60,066 posts, read 30,599,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
Bad parenting.

I second that.
Jail the parents for the actions of their kids. See what happens when mom gets out of jail.

Jacquile, won't be walking straight for weeks.

Old 11-21-2017, 07:59 PM

6,811 posts, read 3,105,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
71% of births in Iceland are to single mothers and it is one of the safest places in the world.

It also operates within a strong Nordic system of social welfare yet it has one of the lowest fertility rates in the world.

The poorest countries, with no safety net/ welfare, have the highest fertility rates.
Switzerland is armed to the teeth but has very little gun violence. By your logic, we needn't worry about gun violence either. Of course, like Iceland the Swiss also have a small, homogeneous culture and are nothing like the United States.

In the US, the two commonalities among students of any race who do poorly are 1) coming from a single parent home and 2) living below the poverty line (which most often is a result of coming from a single parent home). Sadly almost 75% of the Black students in the US come from single parent homes & that explains the education gap. If you drill down into White students who struggle academically, it's also kids from single parent homes, just at a much lower %. If you look at the race that has the highest % of two parent households in the US it's Asians, who also happen to be the most successful academically. Then come Whites, Hispanics and Blacks, all of which correlate perfectly to success in school.

Old 11-21-2017, 08:00 PM

32,106 posts, read 39,170,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
I second that.
Jail the parents for the actions of their kids. See what happens when mom gets out of jail.

Jacquile, won't be walking straight for weeks.
Don't even think that for a minute. Jacquile won't have a bit of a problem walking.

Old 11-21-2017, 08:02 PM

12,986 posts, read 5,391,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
All he did was keep complaining to the principal and the school administration and threatening a lawsuit.

Schools are just as bad around here as anywhere else when it comes to kids being able to walk all over teachers. The school administration is scared of the parents and always side with them against teachers. Teaching is one of the worst jobs there is.

I was even told by the principal that I wasn't allowed to talk about school "discipline"--it had to be called "classroom management." Yeh, well it's the teachers who are out there on the front line. It was our lives that were in danger while we were alone in a classroom of 25 kids. The principal gets to sit in the office--and makes a lot of money. Don't even let anyone you care about become a teacher.
Aw, that’s sad to hear. I remember wanting to be a teacher when I was a young girl, but circumstances changed my direction. I don’t see a lot of principals backing the students over the teachers around here, though what do I know about it really? I have no idea what the administration says to the teachers.

Unfortunately, I do know quite a few parents that are always up at the school complaining about the teachers whenever their child gets in trouble. And worse, they do it in front of their children, giving them the impression that nothing is ever their fault. The very few times my son got in trouble (always doing something with that other lady’s kid as a matter of fact), my kid got in trouble at home as well.

Edit: I just realized it sounded like I was blaming the other kid for my kid getting in trouble, but that’s not what I meant. He is responsible for his own behavior.

Old 11-21-2017, 08:03 PM

9,483 posts, read 3,776,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
Switzerland is armed to the teeth but has very little gun violence. By your logic, we needn't worry about gun violence either. Of course, like Iceland the Swiss also have a small, homogeneous culture and are nothing like the United States.

In the US, the two commonalities among students of any race who do poorly are 1) coming from a single parent home and 2) living below the poverty line (which most often is a result of coming from a single parent home). Sadly almost 75% of the Black students in the US come from single parent homes & that explains the education gap. If you drill down into White students who struggle academically, it's also kids from single parent homes, just at a much lower %. If you look at the race that has the highest % of two parent households in the US it's Asians, who also happen to be the most successful academically. Then come Whites, Hispanics and Blacks, all of which correlate perfectly to success in school.
No...

Old 11-21-2017, 08:06 PM

60,066 posts, read 30,599,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post

How diversified is Switzerland? People are all on the same page there, with no one daring to be different.
Worker bees & the ruling classes, where more debt is wealth and the less taxes paid.

Old 11-21-2017, 08:10 PM

Location: 22 months till retirement and I can leave the hell hole of New Yakistan
23,187 posts, read 12,998,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Of course having two parents in the home is better than one as long as they’re not abusive. Studies have shown that over and over again. My objection to the stigma is the women are the ones getting all the fingers pointed at them. What about the fathers who won’t take responsibility?
what about the mothers who take no responsibility

Old 11-21-2017, 08:12 PM

12,986 posts, read 5,391,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
what about the mothers who take no responsibility
Them too. A lot of kids are raised by grandparents. But we were talking about single mothers, and the vast majority of single mothers are responsible.

Old 11-21-2017, 08:13 PM

5,097 posts, read 1,453,831 times
monkeys and mutants
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or