Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2017, 08:24 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,409,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Who wants to work in an environment that puts them in danger? Where they fear that they can be assaulted and beaten?
Yet some will complain that their children are owed an education. What about the teaching staff? Aren't they owed students who respect their elders and show up for class in a respectful well behaved manner? All kids have their moments. I can't imagine a job where I show up and I am threatened with violence. Kids who beat up or threaten teachers are not likely to become role model citizens. The parents are to blame. They raised those kids to be who they are.
It's common knowledge in teaching circles that as a the black population of a school increases, teachers both black and white, head for the exits. The disruptions and physical assaults become too much.

The Baltimore Sun ran a series a few years ago about the millions paid out annually to Baltimore teachers in Workman Comp settlements due to student assaults and breaking up fights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2017, 08:26 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,409,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8won6 View Post
So am I the only person that actually read the article where they said teachers quit for several reasons and retirement. Not all of these teachers quit over "violence". A lot of people in here went straight into coded language about black people. The truth of the matter is lots of teachers aren't capable of capturing the attention of school age kids. They know how to print out a syllabus and print out packets but they don't know how to teach or inspire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kF25FcRHkS0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vwDdxbuBnA
The two clips are ridiculous. The one school with the black teacher has no kids reading at grade level. So his little dap thing isn't working.

Old 11-22-2017, 08:59 AM

3,041 posts, read 4,998,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
71% of births in Iceland are to single mothers and it is one of the safest places in the world.

It also operates within a strong Nordic system of social welfare yet it has one of the lowest fertility rates in the world.

The poorest countries, with no safety net/ welfare, have the highest fertility rates.
That's deeply misleading since 'single ' in your usage refers to marriage, whereas 'single' as used by the previous poster refers to cohabitation. OECD does not have any data for number or parents living in the same household for Iceland, so if you have these statistics, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Old 11-22-2017, 09:25 AM

72,977 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
It's common knowledge in teaching circles that as a the black population of a school increases, teachers both black and white, head for the exits. The disruptions and physical assaults become too much.

The Baltimore Sun ran a series a few years ago about the millions paid out annually to Baltimore teachers in Workman Comp settlements due to student assaults and breaking up fights.
Except for one thing. There is a big difference between being in a predominantly Black school in the ghettos of Baltimore and being in a middle class suburban area with alot of Blacks. Big difference. Even the amount of troublemakers in middle class Black areas can't compare to the ghetto.

For what it's worth, I went to a predominantly White high school. Teachers were having to deal with disruptions and fights in school. Guess what else my high school had? Alot of kids you might see on Jerry Springer. Big difference between being in a high school where most of the kids come from more heeled school districts and what I went to. I was in a school with alot of rednecks, drugs, and racial issues.

Old 11-22-2017, 09:26 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,133,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
You're the only one blaming them here. Why would people blame the single mom?
If that's what you think, then your reading comprehension skills are woefully lacking.

Quote:
It's not about taking them out fishing. It's about common sense and how 2 parents take care of kids better than one. What part of that don't you get?
That's assuming the two parents have a constructive relationship and that both take an active role in raising children. If the two people chose to separate, it's a good indicator that those conditions would be unfulfilled if they forced themselves to stay together.

Old 11-22-2017, 09:31 AM

72,977 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Over 45 public school teachers in Harrisburg resigned due to an unsafe environment. They begged the school board for help with trouble students. These "kids" keep attacking teachers and other students and breaking property. But the district won't do anything about it.

Student violence led to 45 Pennsylvania teachers quitting | Daily Mail Online
Doesn't surprise me. Rust Belt, ghetto. This is nothing new. This has been happening for decades.

Old 11-22-2017, 09:38 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
But some did...enough to make me glad I'm not a teacher in such a district. Imagine trying to work with fear of an personal attack.

[/b]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slats Grobnick View Post
Daily Mail, tabloid rag, I don't trust them

I looked up another site and they said that not all the teachers resigned because of the violence

PA Teachers Resign Due To Violence « CBS Philly

Old 11-22-2017, 10:14 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,791,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Doesn't surprise me. Rust Belt, ghetto. This is nothing new. This has been happening for decades.
It started in the 1970's when pupils' "rights" came into vogue. Courts gave them due process rights, 4th amendment rights, etc. Now there are kids in school who have no business there. They are just way stations on the road to prison for many of them. And they are dragging other kids down with them.

I graduated HS in 1968. Violence against teachers was unknown. There was not a single incidence. Fights between pupils were occasional but rare. And they were always outside, never in a classroom or corridor. We were an urban school, to. But everyone behaved, more or less. Real trouble makers got the boot for the sake of the rest of us.

Old 11-22-2017, 10:25 AM

17,987 posts, read 27,444,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
71% of births in Iceland are to single mothers and it is one of the safest places in the world.

It also operates within a strong Nordic system of social welfare yet it has one of the lowest fertility rates in the world.

The poorest countries, with no safety net/ welfare, have the highest fertility rates.
You sure love harboring that Iceland stat, don't you? It works in many different threads.

Is Iceland anything like East Patterson New Jersey?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
I always find the blame on single mothers baffling...

I think people who do that have loved Little House on the Prairie too much. I don't think unruly children will be cured by their pops taking them out fishing.
Naw ma'am, that'd be the Andy Griffin Show. Y'all come back now, hear?

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
No. It's not liberals. Don't start that again.

Maybe I should just blame it on conservatives?
Come on now, make up your mind. Duck responsibility or be a conservative, pick one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
How did he get the teacher fired? I thought the teachers unions were pretty strong there.

But I agree, the first few posts were disgusting in their assumptions. It isn’t about race. It’s about kids not respecting authority anymore, and it’s not limited to race. I also heard they discourage real punishment these days.

What used to get a kid suspended now gets them in school suspension, but they still get to turn in their work and get full credit for it. When I was younger, a suspension meant you got zeros in all your classes and it was counted as unexcused absences. When you got more than five unexcused absences in a class in a semester you automatically failed the semester, no matter how well you did on tests or class work. It was a pretty effective deterrent.

Plus, we got a choice between detentions or swats, at least the guys did anyway. At our school you could only choose swats if there was a teacher of your sex that would do it. No female teachers did it, so us girls didn’t get the choice. Believe it or not, many or most guys would take the swats over losing credit or having to go to a detention.
Back in my day we just went to school and did our thing.

You got out of it what you put into it. I never got punished, swatted, suspended, or any of that. Got shamed a time or two and that's all it took.

My parents did their job and we kids did ours. We didn't have to blog about tweet about, facebook it, instantMyFace about it or any of that.

Putting it on the 5 o'clock news is your problem here.

Last edited by McGowdog; 11-22-2017 at 10:37 AM..

Old 11-22-2017, 10:35 AM

20,438 posts, read 12,775,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Except for one thing. There is a big difference between being in a predominantly Black school in the ghettos of Baltimore and being in a middle class suburban area with alot of Blacks. Big difference. Even the amount of troublemakers in middle class Black areas can't compare to the ghetto.

For what it's worth, I went to a predominantly White high school. Teachers were having to deal with disruptions and fights in school. Guess what else my high school had? Alot of kids you might see on Jerry Springer. Big difference between being in a high school where most of the kids come from more heeled school districts and what I went to. I was in a school with alot of rednecks, drugs, and racial issues.
I’ve subbed in a large district with 80% minorities. At the middle school I’ve taught at, the kids are somewhat rowdy and wild, but nothing I can’t handle as a retired teacher. The high school is huge and has armed, uniformed cops in the common areas. My experience has been overall pleasant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies