Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2017, 05:50 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,934,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
How did he get the teacher fired? I thought the teachers unions were pretty strong there.

But I agree, the first few posts were disgusting in their assumptions. It isn’t about race. It’s about kids not respecting authority anymore, and it’s not limited to race. I also heard they discourage real punishment these days.

What used to get a kid suspended now gets them in school suspension, but they still get to turn in their work and get full credit for it. When I was younger, a suspension meant you got zeros in all your classes and it was counted as unexcused absences. When you got more than five unexcused absences in a class in a semester you automatically failed the semester, no matter how well you did on tests or class work. It was a pretty effective deterrent.

Plus, we got a choice between detentions or swats, at least the guys did anyway. At our school you could only choose swats if there was a teacher of your sex that would do it. No female teachers did it, so us girls didn’t get the choice. Believe it or not, many or most guys would take the swats over losing credit or having to go to a detention.
That is how school rules worked in my day also, I do not understand how some of these "kids" can continue to act out without any repercussions. Go back to the old rules and if that does not work, send them to an "alternative" school or completely expel them from the system.
Oh, and just so ya know, you dated yourself with your post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2017, 06:39 AM

14,481 posts, read 11,278,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
I agree. At least the mothers are at least trying.
How about trying to not be a single parent in the first place.

Old 11-22-2017, 06:40 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,792,682 times
The next step will be to stop reporting these incidents. That's what NYC did. After that, remove cameras so there will be no evidence. Then they can deny that there's any problem at all and that, in fact, things are improving.

Old 11-22-2017, 06:45 AM

39,868 posts, read 26,498,769 times
There are people in schools that should have long ago been expelled. They aren't going to make anything of their lives, all they do is keep students that want to learn form getting an education, and prey on those around them. Administrators aren't willing to throw these scumbags out because they lose the $$$ from the taxpayers.

Old 11-22-2017, 06:49 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,863,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
An outcome of compulsory education and welfare.
Ok. So you would rather that they not be required to go to school at all?

A person would have a remarkably higher chance of ending up on welfare their entire life without compulsary education.

Old 11-22-2017, 07:05 AM

45,362 posts, read 60,546,019 times
There's so much uninformed bull**** being thrown around in this thread it's almost breathtaking.

From "schools lose taxpayer funding if they expelled kids" to "put them in alternative schools" to "suspensions are unexcused absences".

For expulsions you don't lose funding you lose your school. NCLB and its follow ons all put penalties on schools and school systems for not meeting expulsion targets, which decreased every year. Expulsions, rather cutting them, are one metric out of several, on which schools are judged effective or ineffective.

Start looking at issues of disparate impact where one or another cohort was expelled for a particular behavior and that behavior was redefined, usually at the state's Department of Education level, as not one that merited expulsion. In Maryland one such behavior that changed from automatic expulsion to a 5 day suspension was physical attack on staff. Another was bringing a weapon to school.

In addition once again, studies right down the line have shown that kids who are suspended often typically drop out or don't finish in 4 years. Two more metrics upon which school systems and individual schools are rated.

Alternative schools are great. They're also incredibly expensive. Most " taxpayers " talk the talk but, when push comes to shove, won't walk the walk when it comes to funding those alternatives.

Add to that the fact that legislation at both the state and federal level have encouraged school systems to not do alternative placements, once again because kids placed in them tend to eventually drop out.

A school imposed suspension was redefined as excused, again because unexcused absenteeism, or rather absenteeism entirely, is yet another metric for rating schools.

You don't have to like or agree with any of this, and I really don't, but that's the reality of things.

Last edited by North Beach Person; 11-22-2017 at 07:19 AM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 11-22-2017, 07:13 AM

25,962 posts, read 22,107,325 times
My older son wanted to be a high school science teacher. He studied teaching and graduated with a degree in physics and chemistry. He joined the military when he graduated though, and when I asked him why, he said "Because at least in the military, I'll have a weapon to defend myself."

Old 11-22-2017, 07:22 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,588,035 times
Build one big alternative school in alaska and ship them there. It will save money in the ling run and help education. Eliminate all penalties for expelling students.

Old 11-22-2017, 07:23 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,504,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
71% of births in Iceland are to single mothers and it is one of the safest places in the world.

It also operates within a strong Nordic system of social welfare yet it has one of the lowest fertility rates in the world.

The poorest countries, with no safety net/ welfare, have the highest fertility rates.
Iceland ??? Population 330,000. Diversity 0%.

Old 11-22-2017, 07:33 AM

5,661 posts, read 3,521,856 times
Good
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies