U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2017, 08:07 PM

11,239 posts, read 7,249,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Seriously dude, you need to move away from Oklahoma. Youíll be much happier. But have a happy Thanksgiving with your family. Iím sure they love you no matter what. They just need to accept that God makes people the way they are, and any God that would punish them for it isnít a loving God. But Iíve had my experience with fundamentalists, so I know how they are.
I have a lot of family in Oklahoma and I feel his pain. No alcohol at any of the holiday gatherings which is when it is needed most.

This is my mother's side of the family. She has said she will only return when somebody dies. Sad.

Old 11-22-2017, 08:32 PM

13,015 posts, read 5,406,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
I have a lot of family in Oklahoma and I feel his pain. No alcohol at any of the holiday gatherings which is when it is needed most.

This is my mother's side of the family. She has said she will only return when somebody dies. Sad.
They still sell low point beer.

Old 11-22-2017, 08:40 PM

7,638 posts, read 1,764,298 times
I stopped reading after "GQ says..."

Old 11-22-2017, 08:49 PM

48,944 posts, read 39,420,502 times
I had a similar conversation a few days ago with co-workers.

If you cannot respect and love your close family enough to just let things slide then it makes me sad.

I have some very religious, I have some hard core atheists.

I have some that believe miller light is less filling, others think it just tastes great.

I even have some relatives that are Packers fans.

Can't we just be nice and civil to one another and appreciate that not everyone thinks like us or has the same values or interests?

I see a profoundly disturbing set of viewpoints on this forum....well, not so much the viewpoints but the absolute 100% faith that they are right, they are the force of good and everyone else is Hitler or the devil etc.

I can only hope you're not that obnoxious and nuts when dealing with family because I hear about that at work as well and just shake my head.

Old 11-22-2017, 09:06 PM

2,588 posts, read 1,500,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
And how has your world changed since Trump became president?
That's not the point. The point is supporting someone who has behaved like Trump is a moral failing. And as a straight white man, my personal world hasn't changed, but my very privileged experience isn't the same as those not in my demographic.

Old 11-22-2017, 09:19 PM

1,793 posts, read 2,129,953 times
Im looking forward to tomorrow. I have some rich cousins in Scottsdale, AZ who invited me over. It will be a refreshing reprive from the maga ***t at my house. These cousins of mine are mega wealthy, very educated, and pretty liberal. If only I could always be around these types.

Old 11-22-2017, 09:22 PM

6,856 posts, read 2,555,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
That's not the point. The point is supporting someone who has behaved like Trump is a moral failing. And as a straight white man, my personal world hasn't changed, but my very privileged experience isn't the same as those not in my demographic.
Trump hasn't behaved any worse than Hillary has, and you voted for her. (and
I'm only conceding Trump is as bad as Hillary for the sake of the argument)

And please don't answer me with a laundry list of Trump's supposed moral failings. I've seen lists of Hillary's moral failings that are at least as long and at least as damning.

And don't give me the "well this isn't about Hillary" line. You are presenting your argument as if anyone who voted for Trump has supported a unique level of immorality. Remember who your side offered up as the alternative.

Ahh but you're a pox on both their houses type now. Hillary's not your horse, is she? Fine then, pox both houses, but that's not what you're doing here. You are accusing people who voted for one particular candidate and only that particular candidate of having a moral failing. You're not even just accusing the candidate of having this moral failing, you're accusing anyone who voted for him of having it. Think about that for a minute.

Old 11-22-2017, 09:33 PM

19,609 posts, read 7,970,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Everyone has something to be thankful for.
Yeah, but with this tax bill looming, it's very unsettling for the middle class. Republicans think they are doing a great thing for us. But if you really understand what's in the bill, the middle class pretty much gets screwed while corporations prosper even more. They are taking away tax deductions for teachers and students who really need it.

Old 11-22-2017, 09:42 PM

739 posts, read 279,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I had a similar conversation a few days ago with co-workers.

If you cannot respect and love your close family enough to just let things slide then it makes me sad.

I have some very religious, I have some hard core atheists.

I have some that believe miller light is less filling, others think it just tastes great.

I even have some relatives that are Packers fans.

Can't we just be nice and civil to one another and appreciate that not everyone thinks like us or has the same values or interests?

I see a profoundly disturbing set of viewpoints on this forum....well, not so much the viewpoints but the absolute 100% faith that they are right, they are the force of good and everyone else is Hitler or the devil etc.

I can only hope you're not that obnoxious and nuts when dealing with family because I hear about that at work as well and just shake my head.
All true. Wanted to bold the part above as this is a problem I see. As an infrequent poster to CD for two years but a regular reader I can say the P/OC side of CD SCREAMS all of this to me.

Some of us are kind of CD "orphans" as we started posting about the Weinstein issue in different areas and that subject was moved here. There were non combative threads prior. Definitely not with this level of vitriol. Though there are tons of cool posters here, if some regulars have gotten "used" to this I can just say with a bit of outside objectivity, it's bizarre and disturbing to say the least. JMHO

Old 11-22-2017, 09:50 PM

8,764 posts, read 2,336,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
I don't support (and didn't vote for) either one of them, but some people feel about Hillary the way you feel about Trump.

I could see your reaction to that being 'But I'm right, and those people are wrong, and they are idiots'.

If so, that would be your opinion...not a fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies