U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2017, 07:28 AM

7,554 posts, read 4,054,597 times

Advertisements

All one has to do is to ask the opposite question. What if President Reagan had not appointed and had confirmed 400 judges at various levels? How would that have worked out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I well recall (I started law school in 1980) the 8 years that Ronald Reagan was President. People then also spoke of how he would change the judiciary for two generations. He appointed close to 400 Federal judges.

How did that work out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2017, 09:27 AM

58,483 posts, read 31,872,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I well recall (I started law school in 1980) the 8 years that Ronald Reagan was President. People then also spoke of how he would change the judiciary for two generations. He appointed close to 400 Federal judges.

How did that work out?
And Bush appointed 327 plus two to the Supreme Court.

According to Donald Trump US looks like carnage. That's how it worked out.

Old 11-23-2017, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
All one has to do is to ask the opposite question. What if President Reagan had not appointed and had confirmed 400 judges at various levels? How would that have worked out?
We can only ask how it actually worked out, and the answer (according to Trump) is that it resulted in carnage.

Old 11-23-2017, 09:41 AM

7,192 posts, read 5,262,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
TRANSLATION: I can't refute the fact that Donald Trump is appointing hundreds of conservative judges who will decide against liberal government expansion for the next 30-40-50 years. So I'll call people names and try to ignore what they said instead.
Actually he's just appointing right wing radicals who are eager to make up the law as they see fit.

Anyone who thinks someone like Scalia was somehow above that is delusional. He made decisions and then he went looking for justifications and he'd wrap it all up in some vague nonsense about originalism.

Anyone who expects anything better from this crop of judges is disconnected from reality. They're there to push a right wing, corporatist, anti-citizen agenda.

Old 11-23-2017, 10:11 AM

7,098 posts, read 2,213,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
Trump needs to pack the court with conservative judges under the age of 50 so that we will have a Democrat proof majority for the next 40 years, that can rein in the communists the next time they manage to seize power.

Actually, you're hoping for a totalitarian dictatorship that will subjugate people to the point that they are like the formerly human automatons, described in "1984".

Old 11-23-2017, 10:30 AM

3,494 posts, read 2,068,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus Clay Banger View Post
I don't blame Trump for the failure to repeal Obamacare. I blame lame ass Ryan and McConnell and the three stooges: McCain, Murkowski, and Collins. It should be repealed, yes, but the GOP had 7 years to come up with a replacement and they choked "bigly." I don't hold Trump responsible for that.
Where is his big plan that will cover everybody, cost a fraction of the price and the government pays for everyone? Forgot about that one, huh?

Old 11-23-2017, 11:16 AM

15,172 posts, read 15,210,720 times
This is mainly why I support Trump.

Trump is the person who can do the country a HUGE service by making solid appointments to the various Federal courts. This will not permanently turn-things-around, as a lot of people hope-for....but it will delay the coming crumbling-chaos that is closing-in on the USA.

Old 11-23-2017, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
This is mainly why I support Trump.

Trump is the person who can do the country a HUGE service by making solid appointments to the various Federal courts. This will not permanently turn-things-around, as a lot of people hope-for....but it will delay the coming crumbling-chaos that is closing-in on the USA.
Do you realize that every president appoints hundreds of judges? Reagan appointed 400, Bush nearly 400, Obama nearly 400, Clinton nearly 400. So, every president does the same HUGE service.

Old 11-23-2017, 12:07 PM

29,548 posts, read 12,355,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
One of the best things about the Tresidency of Donald Trump, is that he is appointing dozens (soon hundreds) of judges to the bench who will make decisions based on what the Constitution actually says.

In other words, conservatives. The Constitution is fundamentally a conservative document that strictly limits the power of the central government and leaves most things to the states and lower govts.

So only conservatives know how to interpret the constitution, besides who knows how a judge will rule. The problem with some of these appointments is they are far from being the best qualified, appointing radical justices that just reflect your ideals is a large mistake. The courts have been isolated from politics for the most part, but Trump has done is best through ignorant claims to politicize every judgment, even Trump university.

Old 11-23-2017, 12:09 PM

4,244 posts, read 1,465,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
Hilarious thread by you Cult 45 worshipers. Carry on.
just as hilarious from those of you that suffer from TDS, ensuring as 2020 reelection. Carry on with that too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or