Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2017, 12:22 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
Not sure. I'd say the President, but people usually disagree with me on how authority figures should be.
You arent sure who is the most responsible for being a decent person? The President or some athlete's dad?

Quote:
This whole presidency is bizarre though. How many other presidents have took the time to respond to regular level critics? Or rather how many regular folks have criticized the president and had the president actually say anything about the remarks? I've never seen it happen before like this. He reminds me of my father though. He likes to destroy anyone who doesn't do as he says.
I don't understand him but I also don't understand past presidents either. The last two had the opportunity to do great things and blew it. It seems obvious to me that the office is too big for those we are electing to have it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2017, 01:28 PM

11,988 posts, read 5,288,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToRow View Post
So the usual cast of characters is calling anyone who disagrees with them racist AND stupid. It never gets old for the left, does it?
The “colleges are indoctrinating young people to be liberals” is pure bull scat. Colleges teach students to think critically. Those critics of college for the most part never attended one and are just reading from their approved talking points. As far as racism and stupidity are concerned, not too many white racists are scholars.

If the shoe fits...

The more the GOP caters to white identity/white resentment and anti-intellectualism the more they isolate themselves from the growing groups in society (college grads and minorities) and the more likely their own eventual demise.

Last edited by Bureaucat; 11-24-2017 at 02:21 PM..

Old 11-24-2017, 03:30 PM

5,129 posts, read 2,595,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
You arent sure who is the most responsible for being a decent person? The President or some athlete's dad?

no one is the "most" responsible, we are -all- responsible for being a decent person.

Old 11-24-2017, 03:33 PM

34,001 posts, read 17,030,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Immerse View Post
The son said thanks the very next day.
Proving the apple (having class) need not fall near the classless tree it sprung from.

I still disagree with interfering with the Chinese justice system.

If 3-10 years is routine for shoplifting there, 3-10 should have been served.

Old 11-24-2017, 04:09 PM

8,204 posts, read 3,477,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleh View Post
no one is the "most" responsible, we are -all- responsible for being a decent person.
That would be ideal. I have said though that if someone wants to be in a position of authority then the person should be also leading by example.

Old 11-24-2017, 04:31 PM

8,204 posts, read 3,477,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Informed Info View Post
No, not kidding you.

The POTUS does something for you, specifically - like getting your idiot kids out of a mess they created for themselves & has been in the headlines? You bend over backwards and thank the POTUS.

Immediately.

Doesn't matter color of skin or how you vote.

"Stable" meaning "controlled" by the DNC or RNC?
One might think that having the POTUS help you out of a jam would be a humbling experience.

Old 11-24-2017, 06:05 PM

957 posts, read 757,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
One might think that having the POTUS help you out of a jam would be a humbling experience.
One might think that the POTUS should not take credit for something of which he didn't do.
"Jerome Cohen, an Asia expert and faculty director of New York University's U.S.-Asia Law Institute, told USA Today that it's “extremely unlikely” that the players would have been sentenced to any jail time. From the start, the players were given bail, a sign that Chinese officials weren't going to push for a full sentence."
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.56d8175ffc91

Seems he might know a bit about Chinese Law.
Faculty of Law, The University of Hong Kong » Faculty » Academic Staff

Old 11-24-2017, 06:13 PM

11,046 posts, read 5,265,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellowmike View Post
One might think that the POTUS should not take credit for something of which he didn't do.
"Jerome Cohen, an Asia expert and faculty director of New York University's U.S.-Asia Law Institute, told USA Today that it's “extremely unlikely” that the players would have been sentenced to any jail time. From the start, the players were given bail, a sign that Chinese officials weren't going to push for a full sentence."
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.56d8175ffc91

Seems he might know a bit about Chinese Law.
Faculty of Law, The University of Hong Kong » Faculty » Academic Staff

unless Jerome, the Asian "expert" has the inside of the prosecutor's office and what they were going to do, then he is speculating and just giving his opinion.

The sunglasses in the Louis Vuitton store in Hangzhou are priced at or around 4,900 yuan ($750). According to Chinese law, anyone stealing goods worth between 4,000 and 7,000 yuan faces between one and two years in jail, although the sentence can be mitigated if they confess, show remorse and pay compensation.

the law says CAN (maybe) ....maybe the Chinese government can mitigate the sentence or maybe not......it's all to the government.....President Trump asking for a favor to the Chinese President helps a lot and moves things quickly.

Old 11-24-2017, 06:26 PM

957 posts, read 757,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
unless Jerome, the Asian "expert" has the inside of the prosecutor's office and what they were going to do, then he is speculating and just giving his opinion.

The sunglasses in the Louis Vuitton store in Hangzhou are priced at or around 4,900 yuan ($750). According to Chinese law, anyone stealing goods worth between 4,000 and 7,000 yuan faces between one and two years in jail, although the sentence can be mitigated if they confess, show remorse and pay compensation.

the law says CAN (maybe) ....maybe the Chinese government can mitigate the sentence or maybe not......it's all to the government.....President Trump asking for a favor to the Chinese President helps a lot and moves things quickly.
Not an Asian expert, but a Law Professor basing his opinion on previous cases. I would believe him over trump or some anonymous person on the internet. So based on similar cases, it appears trump didn't have anything to do with it.

Old 11-24-2017, 06:57 PM

34,001 posts, read 17,030,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellowmike View Post
Not an Asian expert, but a Law Professor basing his opinion on previous cases. I would believe him over trump or some anonymous person on the internet. So based on similar cases, it appears trump didn't have anything to do with it.
I agree we should have let China administer their own laws and penalties in this case.

Whether they were able to avoid jail or ended up in jail a few years, it should have been China's call w/o any intervention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies