U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-22-2017, 11:13 PM
 
Location: Greenville SC 'The Waterfall City'
6,091 posts, read 3,197,559 times
Reputation: 2334

Advertisements

Ok, recent Democrat presidents from south or lived in south at one point:

LBJ, Carter, Clinton

Two failed nominees: Hillary, Gore
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-22-2017, 11:15 PM
 
Location: Greenville SC 'The Waterfall City'
6,091 posts, read 3,197,559 times
Reputation: 2334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slats Grobnick View Post
And they always get rejected by Republican voters.
Obama is only black president nominated by Democrat despite the fact the party could not win without over 90 percent of black vote. Think about that.

GOP less likely to nominate black president because we have few black voters. Yet 3 black republicans have run in recent years. Carson did well but had no political experience and too introverted in the debates. Alan Keyes was too religious. The other guy, I'm forgetting his name, had several accusations of sexual misconduct that forced him out, but he was polling well at the time. Otherwise the accusations probably don't get made publically.

I can only think of 3 black candidates on Democratic side, Jesse Jackson, Sharpton, and Obama.

SC GOP has elected 1/2 the number of black senators the Democratic party has nation wide. Think about that. They get 95 percent of the black vote but only 1 more black Democratic senator than the GOP. That's incredible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2017, 11:17 PM
 
Location: Pine Grove,AL
21,729 posts, read 10,597,494 times
Reputation: 3946
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
Ok, recent Democrat presidents from south or lived in south at one point:

LBJ, Carter, Clinton

Two failed nominees: Hillary, Gore
Pretty sure Kerry and Obama both came after Gore and a lot of northerners came after LBJ.

and you can pretend, but Hillary Clinton lived in Arkansas for at best, 16 years, she was in both Illinois and New York longer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2017, 11:20 PM
 
Location: Greenville SC 'The Waterfall City'
6,091 posts, read 3,197,559 times
Reputation: 2334
I forgot all about Kerry, I admit. A forgettable candidate for sure.

The point is Democratic party has run numerous candidates with ties to Old South politicians to include the son of a man who filibustered the civil rights act.

Meanwhile, GOP has not been running any southerners at all much less ones with ties to Old South. And no Dubya doesn't count as a southerner, that's a New England family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2017, 11:22 PM
 
Location: Pine Grove,AL
21,729 posts, read 10,597,494 times
Reputation: 3946
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
Obama is only black president nominated by Democrat despite the fact the party could not win without over 90 percent of black vote. Think about that.

GOP less likely to nominate black president because we have few black voters. Yet 3 black republicans have run in recent years.

I can only think of 3 black candidates on Democratic side, Jesse Jackson, Sharpton, and Obama.

SC GOP has elected 1/2 the number of black senators the Democratic party has nation wide. Think about that. They get 95 percent of the black vote but only 1 more black Democratic senator than the GOP. That's incredible.
1. There have been more than 3 black people run for President under the Democratic banner. I suggest you go back to Wikipedia.

2. there have been more than 2 black senators under the democratic party.

Seriously, you have been pulling my leg with your post, just admit it. there is no way you can seriously be arguing this many flawed point.

Im not talking about the "republicans are racist post"

Im talking about the non opinion post, like you thinking a republican nominated Thurgood Marshall, or you not knowing there are more black Democrats who have run for president and senators and governors and the House.

Posts like this make it look like you are trolling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2017, 11:23 PM
 
Location: Greenville SC 'The Waterfall City'
6,091 posts, read 3,197,559 times
Reputation: 2334
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Pretty sure Kerry and Obama both came after Gore and a lot of northerners came after LBJ.

and you can pretend, but Hillary Clinton lived in Arkansas for at best, 16 years, she was in both Illinois and New York longer.
Hillary is married to a man who supported the star on the Arkansas flag that stood for the Confederacy or something, and the man who supported a Robert E Lee day.

If Bill was a republican, those things would be considered dog whistles to white racists. There is no doubt.

I'm not sure I can even name one Republican who has called for a Robert E Lee day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2017, 11:26 PM
 
Location: Pine Grove,AL
21,729 posts, read 10,597,494 times
Reputation: 3946
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
Hillary is married to a man who supported the star on the Arkansas flag that stood for the Confederacy or something, and the man who supported a Robert E Lee day.

If Bill was a republican, those things would be considered dog whistles to white racists. There is no doubt.
Yep, and Bill CLinton was wrong, the problem with your argument is that every single Republican governor in the South agree with Bill Clinton's position from 30 years ago.

trapped yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2017, 11:26 PM
 
Location: Greenville SC 'The Waterfall City'
6,091 posts, read 3,197,559 times
Reputation: 2334
That's not true at all.

In fact, in SC, the Confederate flag was taken off the state house in the 90s after GOP gov Beasley pushed for it. It was relocate to state house grounds. It was then taken down with Gov. Haley's support after the church shooting in Charleston.

GOP may have more white racists in number, simply because GOP wins a much larger percentage of white voters than Democrats, who are reliant on minorities to win elections. Obviously there is less opportunity for white racists if your electorate has a lot more minorities.

But I think it is probable that a higher percentage of white Democrats support Confederate flag than white Republican voters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2017, 11:30 PM
 
2,112 posts, read 676,750 times
Reputation: 1182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
Hillary is married to a man who supported the star on the Arkansas flag that stood for the Confederacy or something, and the man who supported a Robert E Lee day.

If Bill was a republican, those things would be considered dog whistles to white racists. There is no doubt.

I'm not sure I can even name one Republican who has called for a Robert E Lee day.
White House Chief of staff called Robert Lee an honorable man.

Trump wants statues honoring Robert Lee.

You sure you want to use Lee as an example, seriously?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2017, 11:31 PM
 
Location: Pine Grove,AL
21,729 posts, read 10,597,494 times
Reputation: 3946
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
That's not true at all.

In fact, in SC, the Confederate flag was taken off the state house in the 90s after GOP gov Beasley pushed for it. It was relocate to state house grounds. It was then taken down with Gov. Haley's support after the church shooting in Charleston.
We arent talking about where the confederate flag is, we were talking about what the star on the Arkansas flag stood for.

you are so caught up in trying to change the subject you forgot your own point( or was that on purpose
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top