U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2017, 11:23 AM

28,411 posts, read 14,127,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
What are you complaining about? Conservatives have the EXACT same position on the death penalty.
A little early to be drinking so much.

Old 11-23-2017, 11:25 AM

30,881 posts, read 24,210,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
I'm a bit long in the tooth for Teen Vogue, but if she really did say that, she is just as wrong as those whose behavior she condemns.
another well said here

Quote:
What are you complaining about? Conservatives have the EXACT same position on the death penalty.
wrong. you seem to enjoy spreading lies about conservatives. lets have a little truth here;

i am conservative
i am pro death penalty

have innocent people been executed? yes they have, and it is unfortunate. it isnt the problem it used to be, and that is good. in the old days of the old west, lynch mobs would hang people they thought were guilty of certain crimes. in the old days they didnt have the technology we have today analyze evidence, they didnt collect evidence like they do today, they didnt secure crime scenes like they do today.

the incidence of innocent people being executed has in fact gone down, and that is a welcome trend. we also give those on death row a lot of leeway and many many appeals to avoid the death penalty, and even try to prove their innocence and be released from prison. again this is a good thing

and there is the innocence project that is working to try and get those that were wrongly convicted out of prison. so the effort to prevent innocent people from being executed is there, and in full swing.

will we always prevent innocent people from being executed? no we wont. why? because regardless of what great efforts are put forth, no one is perfect, and mistakes are made. the best we as human beings can do is eliminate as many of those mistakes as possible.

be happy you dont live in counties like NK or the middle east where if you are sentenced to death, you dnot get the innocence project in your corner to try and get you released, you just get executed, and they say tough toenails.

Old 11-23-2017, 11:26 AM

28,411 posts, read 14,127,306 times
Quote:
And what about the innocent people who were executed?

But innocent people have been executed right?
I still haven't seen an example of an innocent person being executed in current times.

I do know of one case of "suicide by the legal system", but I really don't think that counts.

Old 11-23-2017, 11:43 AM

6,209 posts, read 3,101,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
wrong. you seem to enjoy spreading lies about conservatives. lets have a little truth here;

i am conservative
i am pro death penalty

have innocent people been executed? yes they have, and it is unfortunate.
And yet here you are making the same case she's making. At the end of the day, you're okay with collateral damage bc the system is doing "good" things.

Old 11-23-2017, 11:51 AM

6,209 posts, read 3,101,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I still haven't seen an example of an innocent person being executed in current times.

I do know of one case of "suicide by the legal system", but I really don't think that counts.
That's okay. If your position is that no innocent people have been executed, have fun with that.

Old 11-23-2017, 12:14 PM

19,359 posts, read 13,015,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YuMart View Post
https://lawandcrime.com/crazy/femini...al-misconduct/

Really horrible, the fact she thinks like this is all kinds of horrible.
A teen girl may agree, but once one becomes the mother of a son, I'm sure that sentiment would disappear.

Writing for your readership is not always a good thing. She will come to regret her words if they ever come to pass.

Old 11-23-2017, 12:16 PM

6,411 posts, read 2,259,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
What does that have to do with conservatives?

Do you seriously think that the majority of conservatives are just fine with capital punishment on innocent people? If you had cited a quote from one specific conservative individual who said that he is happy to sacrifice innocent people in the name of law and justice, then you MIGHT have a decent argument. But you don't, so you just make blanket accusations for the sake of being dramatic. Your hyperbolic argument just makes you sound absurd.

There was a comment that other day from a liberal who stated that anyone who is anti-gun-control must support mass murdering of innocent people. What is with these liberals...?
It's part of the all or nothing, take no prisoners, with us or against us mentality that drives the ideology of modern Leftists.

Modern feminism has about as much in common with classic feminism as Progressive SJW's have with JFK.

Old 11-23-2017, 12:50 PM

5,188 posts, read 3,745,742 times
Quote:
That's okay. If your position is that no innocent people have been executed, have fun with that.
To appear as a bleeding heart liberal I'm kinda not ok with capital punishment. Now don't get me wrong, someone killed during the commission of a crime isn't execution. What I'm specifically talking about is people arrested tried and convicted then sentenced to death. Now yes there are perhaps half a dozen or so people over the past 50 or 60 years who probably deserve to be executed, but not as a sentence in a typical case, but solely after further hearings to establish true conviction (5 nines of certainty), and that at the time they were fully cognizant of their actions and hold no regret. So that would exclude a lot of people. Just because it's more expensive to imprison them isn't cause to execute them.

Now to this situation, I wonder if said junior journo would feel if we took the same position on any minority (race, orientation, age, disability, national origin, etc.) calling harassment or discrimination. She said "I'm willing to pay that price for society" but she won't be footing the bill, she has the wrong genitalia. I happened to appreciate the comment that she probably didn't do so well in her reading report on "To Kill A Mockingbird", certainly it's a statement that bears thinking about.

Old 11-23-2017, 03:11 PM

9,345 posts, read 15,786,024 times
@Eddie: I am not sure why you are having such trouble with this. If someone is known to be innocent, they wouldn't be executed. In order to be executed you have to be accused of a death penalty crime, a prosecutor has to believe there is enough evidence to take it to trial, the defendant has to be "true billed" by a grand jury, and then convicted in a court of law. Numerous appeals will follow that. Doesn't that, to you, seem to be a far cry from making **** up and accusing innocent people of wrong doing just to advance a social agenda?

Old 11-23-2017, 03:22 PM

16,694 posts, read 8,639,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YuMart View Post
https://lawandcrime.com/crazy/femini...al-misconduct/

Really horrible, the fact she thinks like this is all kinds of horrible.
Welcome to reality. It happens every day in the corporate world.

Any sexual harassment allegation would get a man fired. It’s much safer and cheaper for a company to get rid of the problem than dealing with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies