Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2017, 03:27 PM

2,359 posts, read 1,033,954 times

Advertisements

I’m just surprised that both NPR and the OP keep calling this lignite-fired generating facility a “coal plant.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2017, 03:28 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,449,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
What kind of human beings would celebrate job loss for their fellow citizens??
What kind of human bing would string along the unfortunate into thinking he will make their job prospects better, when he knows he really can't? It's a cruel trick, a con man's game.

There certainly is job growth in the energy fields but the coal industry is a shrinking part of it and nothing the con man can say or do will change that.

Our Pied Piper has led the children down the Primrose Path ... a dark, dangerous path.

Old 11-23-2017, 03:43 PM

3,562 posts, read 4,392,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
So this is the most coal friendly admin since who knows when, yet plants are still closing.
As the y well should! Coal is a dirty fuel requiring lots of processing pre/post combustion. How do I know this? The first power plant I worked in was coal fired. Aside from requiring transporting the bituminous coal from Utah to a southern state, the coal often required open air storage which made it susceptible to spontaneous combustion which had to be dealt with before the entire pile caught fire. Upon silo storage, it had to be crushed to a certain size before introducing it into a fluidized bed boiler. Ever had to deal with coal dust/fines which permeate everything in sight and which you unavoidably breathe and ingest? Ever had to break up clinkers in a still hot furnace? Ever had to deal with fly ash and bottom ash? There is absolutely no comparison between coal and the very user friendly natural gas.

You could not pay me enough to ever again work in a coal fired plant.

Old 11-23-2017, 03:49 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,555,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
What kind of human bing would string along the unfortunate into thinking he will make their job prospects better, when he knows he really can't? It's a cruel trick, a con man's game.

There certainly is job growth in the energy fields but the coal industry is a shrinking part of it and nothing the con man can say or do will change that.

Our Pied Piper has led the children down the Primrose Path ... a dark, dangerous path.
Assuming what you said were true. It’s not.

One person is cheering because people lose their jobs; the other merely gives false hope.

Who’s worse? I’d say the person cheering and those who defend him are the worst kind of a holes! Shame on you for being Americans!

Old 11-23-2017, 03:52 PM

37,952 posts, read 17,851,639 times
Quote:
Getting tired of winning yet? Summary, renewable energy and cheap natural gas caused the pending closure, "coal is inefficient" as was said. It's a 3 minute audio clip

https://www.npr.org/2017/11/23/56621...s-keep-closing
Let the free market decide.

Old 11-23-2017, 04:09 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,449,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Assuming what you said were true. It’s not.

One person is cheering because people lose their jobs; the other merely gives false hope.
Merely is not the right word for it.

The con man makes political capital out of lies. The rest of us expose the lies and the theft of hope and yet are considered the worst.

I work in a declining industry too, it just doesn't get the attention coal does. Everyone knows our segment of the economy is in decline, but leading the younger people on, encouraging them to hang on waiting for the 'big turnaround' does no one justice and is cruel.

Our presidential Pied Piper is stringing these people along. If he really wants to help them he would encourage new industries and job training for their communities ... but he won't.

Old 11-23-2017, 05:00 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,202,687 times
The people in this thread make me ashamed to be an American. Nothing but pathetic partisan hacks, rambling about things they don't believe, or even care about, to try to make the "other side" look bad.

If you all had no "skin" in the game, you would realize how stupid this conversation is, and its complete absence of any objectivity and understanding of the bigger picture. And it is difficult for me to even listen to NPR anymore, especially on environmentalism, because they are not only obviously taking a side(when they are supposed to be neutral), but they sit around all day chastising people who don't agree with them.

Pathetic.

Old 11-23-2017, 05:46 PM

763 posts, read 379,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
A lot of those disability claims from coal Country are faked with doctors working with these people to help them cheat the system, so they don't have to "settle" for McDonald's or WalMart jobs
That is just not true. The reason that there are so many disabled people in my area is because we have an old population (I think the 2nd oldest in the US) that used to do manual labor (coal mines, railroad). These jobs were hard on their bodies, and over the years rendered them disabled.

Also, these people usually don't have college degrees. Many don't even have a high school degree or GED, so this severely limits the jobs that they are able to perform due to their limited education and broken-down bodies.

Old 11-23-2017, 05:56 PM

2,630 posts, read 1,454,160 times
Quote:
Getting tired of winning yet? Summary, renewable energy and cheap natural gas caused the pending closure, "coal is inefficient" as was said. It's a 3 minute audio clip

https://www.npr.org/2017/11/23/56621...s-keep-closing
Well, what's that saying: "There's a sucker born every minute." I remember during the campaign how the Trumpbots on CD kept saying that Trump was going to bring back coal jobs. That's what he told them first and they continued to parrot it. Trump was peddling so much snake oil he could have sold it at a premium.

Ha, ha, ha, ha ... there are just too many gullible people on the right.

Old 11-24-2017, 08:53 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Is that provable, since I know many laborers from that area including truck drivers, who are physically unable to do much. As someone who does more than push buttons on a keyboard you should know that, as well as people in that position.

Or is this just more of your reflexive hatred and condescension you evidence to anyone you presume voted for Trump?
Senate report finds massive fraud in West Virginia Social Security office

It's a massive fraud scheme and everyone who's actually spent time there knows it. People don't even attempt to hide it - unable to sit or bend in the morning at the disability hearing, re-shingling the roof in the afternoon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies