U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2017, 12:25 PM

18,023 posts, read 17,167,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
Shouldn't current immigrants have to celebrate current Americans since we are now indigenous people of America to them and we were here first?
Since this question makes no sense my answer will be equally senseless. But I like it.

I had Pilgrim ancestor. (Guess I'm not indigenous but compared to my UK immigrant husband, I've been here a long time.) So he should have to celebrate ME! Sounds ok to me.

Old 11-23-2017, 02:24 PM

16,245 posts, read 7,116,625 times
Quote:
Shouldn't current immigrants have to celebrate current Americans since we are now indigenous people of America to them and we were here first?
No one in this country HAS to celebrate anything.

One of the things I'm very thankful for!

I think there are dozens of ways your time could be better spent than by coming up with lame conundrums that puzzle only yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2017, 04:18 PM

7,108 posts, read 2,217,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
Are you Hispanic? They were here first.

More correct would be to say that Hispanics were the first to start slaughtering and enslaving the Indigenous People of the Western Hemisphere. And they're still repressing and imposing their rule over others. Look at what they've done more recently to the Basques and the people of Catalunya.

Old 11-23-2017, 08:12 PM

15,924 posts, read 10,969,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
"Indigenous" does not mean whoever got here first, it means people who were here in pre-history, who are native in the sense that there is no record of them not having been here. Any one who has immigrated to a place in historically recorded times can never be indigenous. The only indigenous people in the US are native Americans, or Indians, if you prefer.

In that you seem to be making up your own, inaccurate, definition in order to be outraged by it, you are manufacturing your own problem.
Maybe in a social justice published dictionary.

There are no humans indigenous to the US, unless they evolved from algae.

they may be paleo migrants who moved into a place where there were no humans before. Being first does not mean indigenous. find a more appropriate word.

This word twisting is getting old, black lives matter doesn't care about black lives, indigenous people are not indigenous, ft hood is workplace violence and a misused pronoun can land you in jail. Coopted words are the weapons of the liberals. Take innocent words and sharpen them into weapons or cobble them up to use where they do not fit and then take umbrage at their conventional usage.

Norway maple trees are not indigenous to the US, neither are pheasants or any humans.

Old 11-23-2017, 08:18 PM

9,212 posts, read 5,384,843 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
So whites are more indigenous to America than blacks?
Even Superman would have trouble with that leap - racist much? Why is it everything is about race with some people?

Old 11-23-2017, 08:20 PM

9,212 posts, read 5,384,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
What’s indigenous people day?
Most Americans call it Columbus Day. 21st century self hating liberals call it "indigenous peoples day", probably so they can keep taking it off work.

Old 11-23-2017, 11:26 PM

5,942 posts, read 3,239,495 times
Quote:
Are you bored or on the job, comrade?

Quit trolling

Old 11-23-2017, 11:28 PM

19,598 posts, read 7,967,067 times
Quote:
American Indians were here before us

Old 11-23-2017, 11:57 PM

3,464 posts, read 2,276,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
Most Americans call it Columbus Day. 21st century self hating liberals call it "indigenous peoples day", probably so they can keep taking it off work.
Maybe I just dislike Italians.

Old 11-24-2017, 12:14 AM

3,964 posts, read 5,252,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Maybe in a social justice published dictionary.

There are no humans indigenous to the US, unless they evolved from algae.

they may be paleo migrants who moved into a place where there were no humans before. Being first does not mean indigenous. find a more appropriate word.

This word twisting is getting old, black lives matter doesn't care about black lives, indigenous people are not indigenous, ft hood is workplace violence and a misused pronoun can land you in jail. Coopted words are the weapons of the liberals. Take innocent words and sharpen them into weapons or cobble them up to use where they do not fit and then take umbrage at their conventional usage.

Norway maple trees are not indigenous to the US, neither are pheasants or any humans.

This is from the Cambridge Dictionary:

adjective [ not gradable ] US ​ /ɪnˈdɪdʒ·ə·nəs/

existing naturally or having always lived in a place; native:
The Navajos are among the indigenous people of North America.
Are there any species of frog indigenous to the area?

This is from the Oxford Dictionary:
Originating or occurring naturally in a particular place; native.
‘the indigenous peoples of Siberia’
‘coriander is indigenous to southern Europe’

If you really want to take it all the way back into the origins of man, you would have to say that humans are only indigenous to Africa. But every dictionary I looked at said something similar to the above, and acknowledge indigenous peoples in many different parts of the world. (Social Justice dictionaries? All of them?) So the word seems to be used for groups native to an area before there was any recorded history. You seem to be making up your own definition. Aren't you the one twisting words? The above are accepted meanings.

By the way, the Norway Pine, in all the references I could find, IS native to North America. The Norway Spruce, however, is a European native. You are right that pheasants are not native to the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or