Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2017, 07:53 PM

23,559 posts, read 17,227,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
it wasnt in self defense... he was fleeing when she hit him

cant shoot someone in the back and call it defense, and cant hit someone with a bat in head for same reason

even if store was okay with her actions, she will have assualt charges? and still be fired for the arrest record if it goes that far
the perp was running for gun he planted outside and planned to return to shoot the clerk... your honor

when a perp turns his back to you, you had best take action as you have no clue as to what his next move will be. Especially gang members who kill for the perception of being diss'd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2017, 07:56 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
the perp was running for gun he planted outside and planned to return to shoot the clerk... your honor
Make sure you plant the gun since the perps don't hide them. Maybe you're thinking of a movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
when a perp turns his back to you, you had best take action as you have no clue as to what his next move will be. Especially gang members who kill for the perception of being diss'd.
The threats gone. No need to escalate. Plus if you do kill the perp, that gang will come back at you.

Old 11-23-2017, 08:39 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,587,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Yep, Im a marketing rep for one of the largest chains in the midwest. Our managers are not allowed to call police over shoplifters anymore, all they can do is ask them to leave and ban them from the store, even with gas drive offs, cant really do much about it except to take down the plate number if they can and refuse them service if they ever come back (but that has never happened,), its not like the employees check plates from customer to customer during the day.

Our policy was changed after a suspected shoplifter called the complaint hotline to complain about being held until police arrived. the top brass are more concerned with complaints than theft, plus the theft study they had done, showed that shoplifting and even fuel drive offs were not a significant factor when it came to profits and loss. Its not really a big deal to most managers,the stuff they are stealing is marked up so high, it doesnt hurt that much when a small percentage is stolen.
The places I have worked did not tell us we could not call security or the police, they simply told us not to try to stop the perp on our own, or to argue if they demanded money.

Old 11-24-2017, 04:22 AM

4,983 posts, read 3,291,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
While this woman may not have been right,
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
it wasnt in self defense... he was fleeing when she hit him

cant shoot someone in the back and call it defense, and cant hit someone with a bat in head for same reason

even if store was okay with her actions, she will have assualt charges? and still be fired for the arrest record if it goes that far
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post

The threats gone. No need to escalate.
Your average juror.

Old 11-24-2017, 06:45 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Yep, Im a marketing rep for one of the largest chains in the midwest. Our managers are not allowed to call police over shoplifters anymore, all they can do is ask them to leave and ban them from the store, even with gas drive offs, cant really do much about it except to take down the plate number if they can and refuse them service if they ever come back (but that has never happened,), its not like the employees check plates from customer to customer during the day.

Our policy was changed after a suspected shoplifter called the complaint hotline to complain about being held until police arrived. the top brass are more concerned with complaints than theft, plus the theft study they had done, showed that shoplifting and even fuel drive offs were not a significant factor when it came to profits and loss. Its not really a big deal to most managers,the stuff they are stealing is marked up so high, it doesnt hurt that much when a small percentage is stolen.
What chain is that? I'd like to be sure I don't do business with them.

Old 11-24-2017, 06:48 AM

34,054 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
It's not that simple. Most retailers have a very strict "do not engage" policy that applies to all employees who are not hired specifically as security. I'm sure this place was no exception, which makes it very unlikely that such a suit would be successful.
Suits are not about going to court.

They are about creating enough pain, via distraction to running a business, to prompt the business to settle to make you "go away".

Old 11-24-2017, 06:51 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Not me, I'd like to know so I can get some free gas.

Old 11-24-2017, 08:43 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I would never give the name online, mainly because anyone could go and drive off with fuel with no legal consequences. We already have enough people that know about and take advantage of this policy!

Old 11-24-2017, 08:53 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Now, ordinarily I am against store 'heroes' who engage criminals.

However, every case is not the same.

While this woman may not have been right, I give her credit for hitting this scumbag in the head and holding him until cops came. The robber claimed he robbed the store before.

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/north-caro...opstories.html

NO ONE should express surprise or outrage over this kind of situation, because it's been occurring consistently for years.

Corporations don't give a flip about the well being of their low level employees. They have one objective; to protect their profits. And they long ago came to the conclusion that the losses from occasional robberies are less than the inevitable lawsuits that would arise from their front line people acting to foil those crimes.

Old 11-24-2017, 09:26 AM

50,288 posts, read 47,043,365 times
If you beat a robber don't call the cops. Simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies