U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2017, 01:51 AM

71,504 posts, read 30,096,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
What's the crop worth if it can't be processed ? Not much eventually.
Attacking the fields would be seen as an attack on farmers and all that comes with that.
It can be processed anywhere. I don't support us being there at all but what is wrong with going after those who grow the crop to start with?

It's all a web of lies from the beginning. Like the people are going to get upset at us wiping out a farmer but not at a refiner. The farmer still ends up the same either way. Broke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2017, 02:10 AM

21,557 posts, read 7,182,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
It can be processed anywhere. I don't support us being there at all but what is wrong with going after those who grow the crop to start with?

It's all a web of lies from the beginning. Like the people are going to get upset at us wiping out a farmer but not at a refiner. The farmer still ends up the same either way. Broke.
OK

Tell us more about the web of lies.

Carry on.

Old 12-18-2017, 02:39 AM

Quote:
OK

Tell us more about the web of lies.

Carry on.
It's been well documented.

Old 12-18-2017, 03:14 AM

21,557 posts, read 7,182,096 times
Quote:
It's been well documented.
Just not here.

I Googled it. I did find something. It seems to be a TV show.

This is what I got :

https://www.investigationdiscovery.c...s/web-of-lies/

Old 12-18-2017, 03:22 AM

11,685 posts, read 13,105,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Why are we still in Afghanistan?

Since when were we the world's police force now wasting tax payer dollars on bombing opium fields?

President Trump, please to bring all our troops home and stop wasting tax payer dollars that could be used to feed and house Americans.
And perhaps he might even think to start a massive campaign to help the huge population of U.S. drug users get clean and stay clean. U.S. users suck up drugs like a gigantic sponge, if one nation of needy peasants doesn't supply the raw drug for cartels, then another will, or another, or another.

The drug problem will not magically stop even if Afghanistan were turned into a desert. When there is a gigantic market like the U.S. there will always be a someone to supply it.

Old 12-18-2017, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Just not here.

I Googled it. I did find something. It seems to be a TV show.

This is what I got :

https://www.investigationdiscovery.c...s/web-of-lies/
Afghanistan never did anything to us to start with. 16 years over what exactly? 16 years.......that's roughly 4 times as long as WWII.

Old 12-18-2017, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
And perhaps he might even think to start a massive campaign to help the huge population of U.S. drug users get clean and stay clean. U.S. users suck up drugs like a gigantic sponge, if one nation of needy peasants doesn't supply the raw drug for cartels, then another will, or another, or another.

The drug problem will not magically stop even if Afghanistan were turned into a desert. When there is a gigantic market like the U.S. there will always be a someone to supply it.
For a fraction of what we have wasted in Afghanistan we could have created defensive enforcement that would have stopped the overwhelming vast majority of drugs from ever getting here.

Afghanistan is and was never about the drugs.

Old 12-18-2017, 03:35 AM

22,302 posts, read 5,521,046 times
Quote:

I have talked about this here for years. I never had one plausible reason given to me why those poppy fields weren't burnt. We invaded Afghanistan, the number one grower of poppies for opium in the world. The biggest exporter of heroin in the world. You don't need to hunt down the processors. The product is growing before your eyes........ big red flowers.

No serious effort was ever made to destroy this crop. I heard the story of not wanting to upset the farmers. Gimme a break. we could have paid the farmers to grow something else, or just paid them to do nothing. We are talking tiny amounts of money here. The farmers aren't the ones making all the money from heroin.

Instead of the fields of poppies being destroyed, the actual amount of poppies grown was allowed to become ever more, with a record opium crop. There is no logical reason for this being allowed to carry on. The Generals never gave a reason for allowing it to continue, because there is no reason. They were told from above to leave those fields alone. For me, this shows corruption at the highest level in Afghanistan, and beyond. It's obvious officials in the country are profiting from the drug trade, and that is the real reason we didn't burn the crop. We wanted to keep them onside so the war could continue right up to the present day.

Plus I believe this war on drugs has corrupted beyond Afghanistan. This stupid so called war of many decades has created an army of drug enforcement people. It provides good, well paid employment, and plenty of fancy toys like boats, planes, and fast cars. It is a big employer now, no doubt paying top dollar. If drugs were legalised, lots of good paying jobs would be lost. It's big business, and it stinks.

Old 12-18-2017, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
I have talked about this here for years. I never had one plausible reason given to me why those poppy fields weren't burnt. We invaded Afghanistan, the number one grower of poppies for opium in the world. The biggest exporter of heroin in the world. You don't need to hunt down the processors. The product is growing before your eyes........ big red flowers.

No serious effort was ever made to destroy this crop. I heard the story of not wanting to upset the farmers. Gimme a break. we could have paid the farmers to grow something else, or just paid them to do nothing. We are talking tiny amounts of money here. The farmers aren't the ones making all the money from heroin.

Instead of the fields of poppies being destroyed, the actual amount of poppies grown was allowed to become ever more, with a record opium crop. There is no logical reason for this being allowed to carry on. The Generals never gave a reason for allowing it to continue, because there is no reason. They were told from above to leave those fields alone. For me, this shows corruption at the highest level in Afghanistan, and beyond. It's obvious officials in the country are profiting from the drug trade, and that is the real reason we didn't burn the crop. We wanted to keep them onside so the war could continue right up to the present day.

Plus I believe this war on drugs has corrupted beyond Afghanistan. This stupid so called war of many decades has created an army of drug enforcement people. It provides good, well paid employment, and plenty of fancy toys like boats, planes, and fast cars. It is a big employer now, no doubt paying top dollar. If drugs were legalised, lots of good paying jobs would be lost. It's big business, and it stinks.
Corrupt players will of course support other corrupt players.

Old 12-18-2017, 05:22 AM

58,520 posts, read 31,917,431 times
Quote:
I would hope that they are but here is why I look at this with a jaundiced eye. Why target the drug labs as opposed to the drug fields?

Poppy fields are easy to find. There is no mistaking a poppy field like there is for a lab.
I was thinking the same thing. They can move labs into the tunnels, or Pakistan, but you can't move the poppy fields. The argument in the past has been that taking out the fields would turn the farmers into fighters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or