Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2017, 12:55 AM

45,305 posts, read 26,805,426 times

Advertisements

I have been calling for this since this whole war on the Taliban, Al-Q, etc. has started, and we are FINALLY doing it. Bush didn't do this... Obama didn't do this. Trump is doing it.

The US is now hitting the Taliban the way it hit ISIS

The strategy that took down the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria is now on full display in Afghanistan. U.S. Afghanistan commander Gen. John “Mick” Nicholson says that in the first “significant” use of expanded authorities he is now able to target the source of the Taliban’s power: Its estimated $200 million annual income from opium sales.

Under President Trump’s new strategy, the U.S. is free to seek and destroy the drug labs that are the lifeblood of the Taliban, in the same way the U.S. targeted oil trucks, refineries and cash storage that provided a steady stream of revenue for ISIS fighters in Iraq and Syria.

----------------------------

US, Afghan Airstrikes Destroy 9 Taliban Drug Labs in Afghanistan

U.S. and Afghan airstrikes have destroyed nine Taliban drug factories and labs, killing 44 suspected traffickers in a border area of southern Helmand province.

He said the airstrikes focused on a narcotics market run by the Taliban in Bahramcha, a remote, divided village on the border with Pakistan, which serves as a main center for shipping drugs from Afghanistan. The general described Bahramcha as the biggest narcotics market in Asia.

Of course, Taliban spokespeople said there are no drug facilities and civilians were bombed... which I don't believe.

This is amazing...

The United States has spent $8.6 billion on narcotics eradication in Afghanistan since 2002, but critics say there was record-breaking poppy production in 2017.

The United Nations announced last week that narcotics production almost doubled this year in Afghanistan to around 9,000 tons, with a 63 percent increase in cultivation areas compared with 2016.

We spent $8.6 billion... for absolutely nothing... it probably aided in their production... smh...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2017, 03:42 PM

The first link above has a good outline of the administration's Afghanistan policy.
Nicholson noted that only about 66 percent of the population of Afghanistan is under government control, with the rest of the country either under the Taliban or control is contested. “So we would like to see that increase to at least 80 percent,” Nicholson said. “Why 80 percent? Because we think that gives them a critical mass where they control 80, the Taliban are driven to less than 10 percent of the population, maybe the rest is contested.” It’s going to take time to build up Afghanistan’s air forces and special operations commandos. “We think, it’s going to take about two years to get to this 80 percent.
The Afghan force actually led the bombing strike this past weekend.

The US dropped a 2,000 pound bomb on a facility that was currently producing 50 barrels of opium worth millions.

Old 11-24-2017, 03:45 PM

29,433 posts, read 22,344,718 times
Why are we still in Afghanistan?

Since when were we the world's police force now wasting tax payer dollars on bombing opium fields?

President Trump, please to bring all our troops home and stop wasting tax payer dollars that could be used to feed and house Americans.

Old 11-24-2017, 03:58 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,355,439 times
I don't believe it. If we are targeting Taliban drug processing it's because they're competitors. All those billions were probably us setting up our network.

I have no faith in my government whatsoever when it comes to noble intentions anymore.

Old 11-24-2017, 04:18 PM

79,902 posts, read 43,896,766 times
I would hope that they are but here is why I look at this with a jaundiced eye. Why target the drug labs as opposed to the drug fields?

Poppy fields are easy to find. There is no mistaking a poppy field like there is for a lab.

Old 11-24-2017, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I would hope that they are but here is why I look at this with a jaundiced eye. Why target the drug labs as opposed to the drug fields?

Poppy fields are easy to find. There is no mistaking a poppy field like there is for a lab.
I agree... it wouldn't take $8.6 billion to send some servicemen in there to set fire to those fields.

BUT... it's better than what has been going on the last decade and a half.

Old 11-24-2017, 04:27 PM

79,902 posts, read 43,896,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I agree... it wouldn't take $8.6 billion to send some servicemen in there to set fire to those fields.

BUT... it's better than what has been going on the last decade and a half.
If true.........as I said, I hope it is but when you have a story about someone taking the far harder route over something that would be far easier, I'm not so sure.

Old 11-24-2017, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Why are we still in Afghanistan?

Since when were we the world's police force now wasting tax payer dollars on bombing opium fields?

President Trump, please to bring all our troops home and stop wasting tax payer dollars that could be used to feed and house Americans.
I do believe those groups in Afghanistan are a threat and need to be dealt with.

My whole problem during the Obama years is that we were not even trying to win. At least we are now.

And we are working with the Afghan forces to maintain themselves at some point in the future.

I hope we can be done with that whole activity as well, but it would not serve us to partially complete the task and have them be a problem again.

Old 11-24-2017, 04:29 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,161,240 times
This sounds suspiciously like the Reagan 'war on drugs' in South America.

Old 11-24-2017, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
If true.........as I said, I hope it is but when you have a story about someone taking the far harder route over something that would be far easier, I'm not so sure.
Not sure about the logistics of being easier. Bombing from a high altitude is easier and less risky the boots on the ground. Now it is more expensive - that I agree with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies