Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should employers be allowed to check potential employees credit?
Yes. 71 42.01%
No. 90 53.25%
Indifferent/No Answer. 8 4.73%
Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2017, 03:51 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,614,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
I was always taught that a sentence begins with a capital. Where did you go to school? Just curious.
I am sure you still understood what the poster was saying, correct?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2017, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
We're getting ready for a very very VerY violent rebellion come soon. Not looking forward to it, but I will sit back and laugh because that's all there is to do. I'm glad i'm over 40 and will die soon and not have to deal with it all.
You went completely off the rails with this post.

Old 11-25-2017, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
This is worrying me immensely as I am inching closer and closer to flushing the toilet of the Big Chapter 7 (hoping not to get into a chapter 13).

I didn't do anything wrong except being stupid. I admit I was stupid and ran up too much credit and kept thinking that some day things will get better and I can pay that all back. Oooof ,stupid me.

The problem is that with being in so much debt your self-esteem gets so low that it gets harder to climb out of that hole and you disengage from everyone out of embarrassment, that's if you even HAVE anyone in your life. Most people don't associate with scrubs in debt and that hurts a lot. Once you are tainted, you're gone socially and mentally and there's little way to crawl out of it unless you get a windfall and then most people who do find a way to make money just do it all over again, it's very sad.
So you want to liquidate everything? Chapter 13 looks better to creditors because it shows them you want to try to pay back your debt.

Your second paragraph is chalk full of excuses for your life.

Old 11-25-2017, 04:10 PM

10,232 posts, read 6,315,362 times
Medical expenses. When my daughter was 22 she was hospitalized and racked up tens of thousands of dollars for which her health insurance did not pay. She was making $10/hour at the time.

Her hospital debt went to a collection agency. Payment plan? They wanted half her weekly salary which would have amounted to less than minimum wage. The Collection Agency called her constantly and threatened her; indirectly with physical violence. Totally ILLEGAL. Somehow they got my phone number and called me. Can't get the money from young ADULT, go after a Parent with more money? I don't think so. Don't you DARE call and threaten me or your agency will be hearing from my attorney. Click.

It went to court. Her salary was garansheed but only for a small percentage weekly; not less than minimum wage. It took 15 years for her to pay it off. Yep, wrecked her credit scores, BUT it never affected any of her future jobs which ran credit checks on her.

She works in Retail Loss Prevention. Did she steal from any store she worked at? No. Apparently, with the Credit Checks she had to go through for jobs, Medical Debt was not the same as actually Criminal Stealing.

I have worked in Public Schools and for Agencies for the MR/DD Disabled. No Check Credits, but Criminal Background Checks and Fingerprinting. Would you want to hire an employee who had physically abused children or the disabled? Tell me which is worse? Bad Credit Check or the Criminal Abuse of a Child or Mentally Disabled? $$$$ means nothing in comparison.

Old 11-25-2017, 04:19 PM

35,691 posts, read 21,049,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philopower View Post
making excuses eh? POC young person, who just so happens to be a student, with a credit score of 760. If you take responsibility, research how to build credit, etc, you'll have a high credit score.
Yea go get married have a kid who is very seriously ill. Let’s see how long that score lasts. Bs

Old 11-25-2017, 04:19 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,815,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Medical expenses. When my daughter was 22 she was hospitalized and racked up tens of thousands of dollars for which her health insurance did not pay. She was making $10/hour at the time.

Her hospital debt went to a collection agency. Payment plan? They wanted half her weekly salary which would have amounted to less than minimum wage. The Collection Agency called her constantly and threatened her; indirectly with physical violence. Totally ILLEGAL. Somehow they got my phone number and called me. Can't get the money from young ADULT, go after a Parent with more money? I don't think so. Don't you DARE call and threaten me or your agency will be hearing from my attorney. Click.

It went to court. Her salary was garansheed but only for a small percentage weekly; not less than minimum wage. It took 15 years for her to pay it off. Yep, wrecked her credit scores, BUT it never affected any of her future jobs which ran credit checks on her.

She works in Retail Loss Prevention. Did she steal from any store she worked at? No. Apparently, with the Credit Checks she had to go through for jobs, Medical Debt was not the same as actually Criminal Stealing.

I have worked in Public Schools and for Agencies for the MR/DD Disabled. No Check Credits, but Criminal Background Checks and Fingerprinting. Would you want to hire an employee who had physically abused children or the disabled? Tell me which is worse? Bad Credit Check or the Criminal Abuse of a Child or Mentally Disabled? $$$$ means nothing in comparison.
Because when they do credit checks for jobs/clearances, they are not looking at the things you described, nor the other BS others have posted about. It really comes down to a pattern of credit abuse, which can raise a red flag for an employer is all. Numerous people with bad or no credit find employment just fine with a credit check (my wife for example is an immigrant and obtained jobs just fine with zero credit background, jobs included handling money and accounting functions). Even if a security clearance is needed, bad credit, bankruptcies, etc, will not prevent you from obtaining clearance, only demonstrating a pattern of negative practices will do that.

It is really a non-issue/exaggerated issue.

Old 11-25-2017, 04:22 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,451,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Jasper View Post
Yes. Generally 7-10 years of credit history.

It's important to note that employers do not see the same credit report that lenders do. For instance, your credit score does not appear on an employment inquiry. Employers are looking for negative public records, i.e., judgement and liens. Excessive judgement and liens often speak to the character of the applicant.
A 15 year old judgment doesn't fall off a credit report until satisfied and it also offers no information about the individual's past 15 years. What's excessive? What do two 15-year-old judgments (arising from health-related extended loss of income) speak to the character of the applicant? Should they be regarded less favorably than a 15-year-old bankruptcy?

Old 11-25-2017, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton Miteybad View Post
That’s the problem of the bad credit risk.

One of my jobs, as the boss, is to prevent loss to my business resulting from pilferage/theft by employees who have trouble managing their financial lives. That’s why nobody gets on my payroll without a background and credit check.

And nobody ever will, either. But we always ask if we can run those checks on the application, of course. If the answer is no, we thank them for their time and show them the door. You just can’t get any more fair than that.
bS 25 yrs in banking. I can tell you well vetted crew of employees - and what still had big theft -fraud- embezzlement so that trying to sort people. shyteee— I quit one place,because I smelled the mess- and responsible for a $475k safe. I was not going to be their scapegoat goat -And few weeks later the idiot Prez shot himself in the head and they threw the Vice President out for being in cahoots for—- stealing !!! Sometimes what look so clean n shiny -is shyte! In Canada it’s illegal and some states have also stopped the practice. Ps -internet in Puerto Rico is still really crappy still do don’t worry bout my caps or misspells

Last edited by tinytrump; 11-25-2017 at 04:41 PM..

Old 11-25-2017, 04:28 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,957,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Jasper View Post
If applicants have a reoccurring history or poor financial behaviors, yes, it makes them irresponsible when it comes to finances.

There is evidence that suggests that employees with poor financial behaviors have negative impact on productivity and and are more likely to participate in embezzlement/theft.

This is probably not a major concern if you are employed in the lower levels of the service industry with limited access to money. However, if employed in the financial industry or industry that provides access to large amounts of funds, credit history is a major factor to be considered.

Higher levels of law enforcement such as the FBI or Secret Service regularly review employee finances because poor financial decisions can lead to corruption/extortion.
False. Employers have been using that flimsy excuse as a rationale for screening applicants' credit for years, and it's just not true. Employees with bad credit are no more likely to steal than those with good credit, and they are certainly not lazier. If anything, having financial problems would provide employees more of an incentive to want to keep their jobs, not less.

Old 11-25-2017, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Because when they do credit checks for jobs/clearances, they are not looking at the things you described, nor the other BS others have posted about. It really comes down to a pattern of credit abuse, which can raise a red flag for an employer is all. Numerous people with bad or no credit find employment just fine with a credit check (my wife for example is an immigrant and obtained jobs just fine with zero credit background, jobs included handling money and accounting functions). Even if a security clearance is needed, bad credit, bankruptcies, etc, will not prevent you from obtaining clearance, only demonstrating a pattern of negative practices will do that.

It is really a non-issue/exaggerated issue.
No I was a manager n hired n fired. All depends on the institution - and several places - mostly banking - it’s. Big NO!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies