U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should employers be allowed to check potential employees credit?
Yes. 71 42.01%
No. 90 53.25%
Indifferent/No Answer. 8 4.73%
Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2017, 06:23 PM

5,097 posts, read 1,461,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Wrong ,by law they don't show circumstance's only numbers.
People write Letters of Explanation to credit reports all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2017, 06:26 PM

12,677 posts, read 12,097,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
No I was a manager n hired n fired. All depends on the institution - and several places - mostly banking - itís. Big NO!!
What is a "big NO?"

Old 11-25-2017, 07:09 PM

1,747 posts, read 498,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post

bS 25 yrs in banking. I can tell you well vetted crew of employees - and what still had big theft -fraud- embezzlement so that trying to sort people. shyteeeó I quit one place,because I smelled the mess- and responsible for a $475k safe. I was not going to be their scapegoat goat -And few weeks later the idiot Prez shot himself in the head and they threw the Vice President out for being in cahoots foró- stealing !!! Sometimes what look so clean n shiny -is shyte! In Canada itís illegal and some states have also stopped the practice. Ps -internet in Puerto Rico is still really crappy still do donít worry bout my caps or misspells
Background checks don't necessarily eliminate ALL risk.

They can help to minimize risk, however.

Which is why our companies use them, and will continue to do so.

P.S. Happy to hear that you did not become a "scapegoat goat."

Old 11-25-2017, 07:24 PM

27,993 posts, read 19,664,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
Possibly not. But possibly so.

You're a busy employer trying to find the best candidate to fill an open position. Do you hire the candidate who did well in the interview or did lousy in the interview? Who has excellent references or lousy references? Who has a criminal background or a clean criminal history? Who has demonstrated an ability to manage credit or someone who has not successfully managed their credit? Who has a college degree or a high school diploma? Who presents a well written resume or who has typos on their resume?

My point? It's not a perfect system. But when HR has 200 resumes sitting in front of them - all unknowns, all faceless, all trying for the same job - they have to start somewhere. They have to work on SOMETHING. They have to quickly and efficiently weed through those 200 applicants, weed THOSE down to a manageable number to interview, interview them, and then check everything they've said (because people lie).

I don't fault employers from checking credit. It IS (no matter how many want to deny it, and how many examples you can find of why credit checks are unfair and don't present an accurate picture of a potential employee) one tool that they use to weed out those they do not want to interview. It is one part of a puzzle that employers quickly try to put together re: an applicant.

For those who have been hard hit financially through no fault of their own, it's not fair. But life isn't fair. It is what it is.
I hire the person who does well in the interview, has good references, demonstrated skill set (or demonstrated ability to learn).

Old 11-25-2017, 07:28 PM

2,079 posts, read 1,042,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Who should decide the criteria for employment?
The people who serve in the military to protect this employer, the people who pay taxes to keep the road to the employer place fixed and safe from robbers.
The society.

Old 11-25-2017, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
How you manage your credit illustrates what kind of person you are. If you don't honor your debts, who would entrust you as an employee representing their company? Aside from extenuating circumstances in a person's life, credit screening should indeed be used by employers.

In Old Testament days in Israel, if you couldn't pay back your debt you were sold as a slave to pay it back.
Maybe some people were honoring some debts over others aka rent, car payment and food over credit card and medical bills.

Old 11-25-2017, 07:31 PM

13,186 posts, read 7,413,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Jasper View Post
Medical-related judgements are rarely considered in employment. Evictions, foreclosures, repossessions, non medical-related garnishments.... Those are the employer's primary concerns.
How much is the employer paying? It's the epitome of hypocrisy for a company that pays $10/hour to pull credit and judge candidates based on their previous financial problems. Office Depot tried this on me. "Let's pay our workers a pittance and condemn them for not being able to live responsibly on poverty level wages."

Old 11-25-2017, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
"purchasing the labor"

LMFAO and you wonder why people under 20 these days want to overthrow this crap?
I'm nearing 40 and I want to overthrow it. Its a bunch of BS.

Old 11-25-2017, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
For Gods sakes stop being a drama queen. If you F'd up (you did) do the work, put in the time, don't share your entire life story with anyone you don't have to (it's none of their business), start at the bottom and work your way back into a better place. It can be done. Just do it. Stop whining and stop finding excuses to wallow in the mud. There is a way to "crawl out'. Find it.
But why put additional roadblocks in the way of someone crawling out?

Credit and job responsibility are not related.

Old 11-25-2017, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
A statistical sample of one.
LOLOLOL

Yeah okay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or