Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should employers be allowed to check potential employees credit?
Yes. 71 42.01%
No. 90 53.25%
Indifferent/No Answer. 8 4.73%
Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2017, 07:00 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
That's really messed up.
I agree. It put my BIL and sister back for a few months while he continued his job search. Thankfully, he was hired at a good company and worked his way up the ladder. They are doing very well now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2017, 07:01 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
There should be another poll answer, if it is relevant to the position. I mean if you work in a bank, you may need a credit check. If you are working security or as a police officer, what's the difference if you are or aren't.

Old 11-26-2017, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Jasper View Post
When I purchased a new Honda in 2011, the local dealership left my application, and hundreds of others, in an area that was accessible to employees. An employee retrieved that information and sold it to a local criminal network, resulting in dozens and dozens of cases of identify theft, including mine.

If we allow employers to access our credit history, we have every expectation that that information should be secured.
Identity theft is a big problem is in this country and needs to be taken far more seriously. Look at Experian, they should be shut down as a credit scorer and the executives should be jailed, but instead they are "victims" like those who haf their names and identities leaked onto the dark web. If had my information leaked from several colleges and this hack and at best I get one year of protection from it. We got to say enough is enough with identity fraud and make it a serious issue in this country because it is only gonna get worse.

Old 11-26-2017, 07:20 AM

45,201 posts, read 26,417,923 times
If I'm inviting someone into my business and purchasing their labor, no question should be off limits and discrimination should be acceptable.

Old 11-26-2017, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
If I'm inviting someone into my business and purchasing their labor, no question should be off limits and discrimination should be acceptable.
And what if it is through mistaken identity or identity theft?

Old 11-26-2017, 10:00 AM

2,359 posts, read 1,033,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post

My personal example holds no significant predictive value??? Are you saying that continuing to do what I'm doing is useless?
I’m saying that while your ONE example serves to illustrate your point (which is solely about you and absolutely nobody else), I would not use your ONE example, of course, to attempt to predict whether the next applicant who darkens my door is aiming to steal me blind. Or the one after that. Or the next thousand after that. Background and credit checks help us identify those candidates who are more likely to cause losses due to personal financial pressures. They also help us identify those candidates who are the least likely to do so.

I didn’t address the usefulness of your job, or whether it was worthwhile. That’s up to your employer, and if he/she is satisfied with the work you’re turning in, then other parties have no room for complaint.

Frankly...it’s surprising that you could misunderstand the relatively simple point I was making, but somehow you managed to do it.

Old 11-26-2017, 10:03 AM

45,201 posts, read 26,417,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
And what if it is through mistaken identity or identity theft?
They get fired. No system is perfect, but the right of ownership to protect its interests is best.

Old 11-26-2017, 10:04 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,648,066 times
Quote:
They get fired. No system is perfect, but the right of ownership to protect its interests is best.
Why? Please give us legitimate reason for your answer?

Old 11-26-2017, 10:05 AM

613 posts, read 462,993 times
Absolutely not. Why would employers need to know someone's credit score? How is that relevant to their ability to perform at the job?

Old 11-26-2017, 10:22 AM

Quote:
And the employee didn't do it yet can face credit dings for other's doing. My father has been a victim with cell phone bills from identity theft, in fact he would get nailed over the same bill when the company got bought up. Had he applied for jobs that would show up and some moron looking at the credit report would not hire them despite a good reason for why it was low.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Why? Please give us legitimate reason for your answer?
There is none when it is identity theft based because there is no marking on a credit report of you being a victim of it. It is rather disgusting honestly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies