Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should employers be allowed to check potential employees credit?
Yes. 71 42.01%
No. 90 53.25%
Indifferent/No Answer. 8 4.73%
Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2017, 07:53 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMORE View Post
There’s a limited amount of jobs, in my view, that should require a credit-check; do you all feel they should be allowed to ask? I hope we can pass legislation in my town regarding credit checks.
Not unless you're working with money.

I think it's relevant in the financial sector, for example.

If you're getting a white-collar job that's not in the accounting department, banking, stock market, etc, I'm not seeing the need to dig into people's personal finances. Maybe they need the job so they can improve their credit by, you know, working a good job.

Old 11-28-2017, 08:47 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMORE View Post
There’s a limited amount of jobs, in my view, that should require a credit-check; do you all feel they should be allowed to ask? I hope we can pass legislation in my town regarding credit checks.
As far as I am concerned there is no reason not to do one. Depending on the job there are many times an employer has every right to know about a person's credit. That is within reason I will add.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2017, 09:37 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
That is just ridiculous. How can we tell people to work hard to get out of debt then support policies that disallow them from gaining employment?
I said this before but people just ignore the common sense of things.
This is like the how do you get experience when you need a job but to get a job you need to have experience catch-22.

Old 11-28-2017, 09:43 AM

45,223 posts, read 26,437,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
This is like the how do you get experience when you need a job but to get a job you need to have experience catch-22.
If your skill set is in need you will find employment. If my company cant find skilled widget makers, I will loosen my hiring standards and/or raise my offering price
Min. wage laws that eliminate the creation of entry level jobs hurt the unskilled more than any backround check.

Old 11-28-2017, 10:13 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
If your skill set is in need you will find employment. If my company cant find skilled widget makers, I will loosen my hiring standards and/or raise my offering price
Then I would say you're company does this right. Sadly too many today use it as an excuse for foreign labor whether legal or not or perhaps outsource it if not off shoring the labor. I mean I get that a single company can and should do this, but we have seen too many single companies do this that in a way we have a labor shortage except for highly skilled jobs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Min. wage laws that eliminate the creation of entry level jobs hurt the unskilled more than any backround check.
To an extent yes, but the other thing that minimum wage jobs do is lowers the wealth. Sadly it isn't just entry level jobs that gets low-balled, but also middle and even high wage jobs. The fact is raises don't keep up with inflation. If you make say 5.00 an hour and you get a $ 0.05 raise yet inflation is 3%, you lose.

Old 11-28-2017, 01:48 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,442,833 times
They won't get better employees by doing credit checks. Being a good employee and being responsible with money are two different things. I'm great with saving money and I have built good credit, but unless it's for the right job with good pay I'm not going to be a good employee.

Old 11-28-2017, 02:04 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurefinder View Post
I say no. Honestly I would love to see a correlation between bad employees and credit history.
Actuarial sciences have long made the correlation between credit scores and the liklihood of causing a car accident.

Not so easy to correlate employee performance to credit score because of the variables and subjectives.

Old 11-28-2017, 02:08 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Many states it is against the law for an Employer to run a credit check on applicants,unless it is a job that requires security clearance of some sort.
Eleven states have placed limitations on credit scoring applicants / offers subject to....

California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Hawaii, Illinois, Maryland, Nevada, Oregon, Vermont and Washington. Many other states are considering bills.

Old 11-28-2017, 02:12 PM

13,954 posts, read 5,623,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Eleven states have placed limitations on credit scoring applicants / offers subject to....
Eleven states have decided voluntary association is bad and must be stopped.

Apparently, associations must be forced, coerced and governed by strict rules to make sure nobody enjoys the freedom of association.

Awesome!

Old 11-28-2017, 02:14 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,540,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post

California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Hawaii, Illinois, Maryland, Nevada, Oregon, Vermont and Washington. Many other states are considering bills.
so are those states easier to get a job in now? bet everyone has a high paying jobs there now that their credit scores aren't checked
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies