U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should employers be allowed to check potential employees credit?
Yes. 71 42.01%
No. 90 53.25%
Indifferent/No Answer. 8 4.73%
Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2017, 02:09 AM

9,093 posts, read 3,706,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post
I was one of the 3 (only three, really?) people who answered indifferent/no answer because it's a complex issue for exactly what you are mentioning. An accountant cutting checks or higher level law enforcement agent should be required to keep decent credit for exactly the reasons you mentioned. For everyone else there isn't good cause and it risks locking people out of the workplace.
not the same, but i see credit check as a way to check "attendance" as in are you able to pay your bills on time every time

current generation is so hyped up over perfect attendance records in school and all that, well perfect credit is the same

credit scores dont check peoples bank accounts, and not even employment status, has nothing to do with how wealthy someone is or if they work low paying job
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2017, 02:10 AM

8,712 posts, read 2,326,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
I think should be totally illegal óyour credit can go to shyte with one Fn hurricane !! - does not mean you donít have a superb work ethic. I think itís s plot from a non govt bank owned entity to keep the poor poor. One day they will be found out and the truth will come out. - manipulation of the masses for special interest groups - wish I could say what I think of the bureaus and not get kicked out of CD- and take many of the insurance Coís with them

Old 11-25-2017, 02:12 AM

3,320 posts, read 917,407 times
Yes, if one's credit is poor, statistically, that person is more likely to be prone to theft. Employment in this country is at will and companies have a right to protect themselves.

Old 11-25-2017, 04:48 AM

13,786 posts, read 4,082,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
Yes, if one's credit is poor, statistically, that person is more likely to be prone to theft. Employment in this country is at will .
Nope, incorrect.

Old 11-25-2017, 04:50 AM

13,786 posts, read 4,082,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Why not?
Why not,what?

Old 11-25-2017, 07:28 AM

8,798 posts, read 9,623,537 times
Poor credit can just be an indicator of a single event in someone's life. If an applicant looks good an interviewer might just ask them about their credit. It would also be a good idea to see the rate of improvement in that person's credit score since that single event. A person who scapes them self off the floor from 300 to 770 in a relatively short time might be a good indicator of a person's commitment. So I think a credit report might just muddy the waters for some applicants and give you a false sense of security for others.

Old 11-25-2017, 07:36 AM

2,673 posts, read 755,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMORE View Post
There’s a limited amount of jobs, in my view, that should require a credit-check; do you all feel they should be allowed to ask? I hope we can pass legislation in my town regarding credit checks.
The real question you are asking, is should a private organization be legally restricted from requesting information from a private individual who wishes to be employed by said organization.

It is a private agreement and government regulation should have little place in the transaction.

Old 11-25-2017, 07:44 AM

32,543 posts, read 17,650,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMORE View Post
POC, disproportionately, have subpar credit scores that prevent us from having certain careers. Provided one does well enough in their interview, and have the resume to back them up, Iím not sure why an employer would screen their credit. Obviously the person is there because they need the cash, and to hopefully fix their credit with their earnings.
A poor credit rating reflects on an individual's ability/willingness to manage their personal resources. Those who have put themselves behind a financial 8 ball could be more likely to engage in unethical or illegal behavior in their jobs as an avenue to keeping their heads above water.

Employers are aware of this. So too is the government and credit ratings will have a definite effect on granting security clearances.

That might seem harsh, but it's the reality of the situation.

Old 11-25-2017, 08:08 AM

26,715 posts, read 14,964,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Why not,what?
Why isn't the criteria up to the person paying for the labor?

Old 11-25-2017, 08:25 AM

33,046 posts, read 20,720,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
Yes, if one's credit is poor, statistically, that person is more likely to be prone to theft. Employment in this country is at will and companies have a right to protect themselves.

Statistically MFA. I've had bad and unfixable credit for the past 15 years. I've also handled retail cash on the job for the past 10+ years with NO issues. I see zero connection between my credit and my "proneness to theft".

Last edited by freemkt; 11-25-2017 at 08:34 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or