Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should employers be allowed to check potential employees credit?
Yes. 71 42.01%
No. 90 53.25%
Indifferent/No Answer. 8 4.73%
Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2017, 12:06 AM

3,353 posts, read 6,423,030 times

Advertisements

There’s a limited amount of jobs, in my view, that should require a credit-check; do you all feel they should be allowed to ask? I hope we can pass legislation in my town regarding credit checks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2017, 12:09 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,506,923 times
why not? if they dont, they will find some other way to screen people

it isnt like they will hire people at random

Old 11-24-2017, 12:13 AM

POC, disproportionately, have subpar credit scores that prevent us from having certain careers. Provided one does well enough in their interview, and have the resume to back them up, I’m not sure why an employer would screen their credit. Obviously the person is there because they need the cash, and to hopefully fix their credit with their earnings.

Old 11-24-2017, 12:15 AM

9,569 posts, read 5,593,965 times
and credit worthiness means what?
Our President managed to bankrupt 4 of his companies + pay out $25 Million dollars to students of his Trump University in addition to not releasing his Tax returns yet he sits in the White House.

I happen to know people who work minimum wage jobs who are more responsible with their own money & bills.

Old 11-24-2017, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
and credit worthiness means what?
Our President managed to bankrupt 4 of his companies + pay out $25 Million dollars to students of his Trump University in addition to not releasing his Tax returns yet he sits in the White House.

I happen to know people who work minimum wage jobs who are more responsible with their own money & bills.
I’m for banning employer credit-checks, so I’m not sure where you’re going with this though I do agree with what you’re saying.

Old 11-24-2017, 12:19 AM

5,315 posts, read 2,103,905 times
Some use it to check as a possible indicator of how responsible or irresponsible you can potentially be. Of course, not everyone who has bad credit will be irresponsible since it doesn’t include things like “normally responsible, but had troubles due to being hit with huge medical fees” (for one example). I am not sure of any sorts of studies, etc. to show how apt it is as an indicator.
https://www.thebalance.com/why-do-em...istory-2059598

Old 11-24-2017, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latimeria View Post
Some use it to check as a possible indicator of how responsible or irresponsible you can potentially be. Of course, not everyone who has bad credit will be irresponsible since it doesn’t include things like “normally responsible, but had troubles due to being hit with huge medical fees” (for one example). I am not sure of any sorts of studies, etc. to show how apt it is as an indicator.
https://www.thebalance.com/why-do-em...istory-2059598
Does this mean you’re for, against, or neutral in regards to credit-checks? I forgot to add the polling option.

Edit: Ah, figured out how to add the poll.

Old 11-24-2017, 12:27 AM

16,961 posts, read 17,288,409 times
They can ask for anything they want, but providing it is a whole different story.

Old 11-24-2017, 12:28 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,388,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMORE View Post
POC, disproportionately, have subpar credit scores that prevent us from having certain careers. Provided one does well enough in their interview, and have the resume to back them up, I’m not sure why an employer would screen their credit. Obviously the person is there because they need the cash, and to hopefully fix their credit with their earnings.

Credit scores have factors NOT directly credit-based, so I don't regard credit scores as a good way to screen applicants.

For example, length of credit history is an important factor in credit scores, and while the reasoning makes sense, this single factor tanks a lot of credit scores, especially for younger people and for POC - because younger people NATURALLY have shorter credit histories (D'OH!) and POC have a considerably lower age distribution than white Americans. (Higher birth rate and higher death rate for POC = younger age distribution.) So the younger average age of POC hurts their credit scores, while age does not make a person more or less likely to pay debts as agreed.

Old 11-24-2017, 12:28 AM

9,569 posts, read 5,593,965 times
Point being is many people with poor credit means they have bitten off more than they can chew.
Does that make them irresponsible?
If they show up to work everyday and perform their duties why should their credit history matter?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies