Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2017, 01:12 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,765,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Well, here we have arrived at another Black Friday. This is something that I just can't conceptualize. A mob of people (some of whom started on Thanksgiving evening, for added effect)....swarm the malls early in the morning, in some cases, beating down the doors and each other to grab the latest, greatest, and cheapest 'stuff' that is out there. One item on the shelf, and two people competing? Don't be afraid....do what you have to do, throw an elbow, kick an ankle, GET THAT STUFF for yourself. Making the day even dumber --- these days you can get the same stuff on line if you need it, for roughly the same cost, and without any of the hassle.

As a minimalist - I just don't get it. For most of my life I've only bought what I need, when I need it.
As a gen X guy, I have the millennial attitude of - I'd rather spend money on experiences - trips, a game, a good concert, than on more things.

My family and I will be far away from the malls today.

Who's with me in giving the finger to this nonsense?
I always had to work on that day.

Now, I’m just not interested. We have everything we need and a lot that we don’t.

The only ones to get gifts this year are the kids under 18. That’s it. Some other people are getting baked goods.

Old 11-24-2017, 01:16 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,484,217 times
However, we do need a new stove. Ours is 20 years old, rusting, the door can become unhinged and it is probably inefficient as well. Lowe’s is having an appliance sale so I will head there on Saturday to check them out. I already checked the models and specs/reviews so I am armed with facts. And, a budget limit of $800.

Old 11-24-2017, 01:20 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,490,829 times
Most of the Black Friday stuff including the "Doorbusters" are sold online. I bought an iPhone SE for $99 at 12:05 AM from Walmart and it's being shipped for free! In a few years, those Black Friday crowds will have gone the way of a 5&1/4 floppy drive. Bought a nice 4K TV from Amazon, which was delivered to my front porch 3 days later. Go to a store to shop for an item they only have 5 of? That's insane!

In a few more years, there won't be as many brick and mortar stores to crowd into ...on Black Friday!

Old 11-24-2017, 01:22 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,716,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrat View Post
I personally see "blackFriday" as a national embarrassment, But to each his own, its a free country.
I least no one was killed in a stampede this year.

RR
That's exactly what it is. Excellent characterization!

Old 11-24-2017, 01:23 PM

19,626 posts, read 12,218,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
Meh. I’m not much of a shopper, but I do love Black Friday at Home Goods. It’s one of the few days that I have absolutely nothing to do, so I go when the family is still sleeping off their food hangover. The store opens at 7:00 and is always empty that morning (because they don’t have a Black Friday sale), while the masses are at the mall or the big box stores. I went this morning, was offered a free cup of coffee and cider donut, did my shopping in blissful peace, payed without waiting on a line, and was back home before 10am.

I’ll do the rest of my shopping online, while I’m at work.
That sounds nice.

I went to Home Depot to get things I actually need for this weekend, it wasn't too bad at all. There were a lot of employees around to help find things and they were serving coffee too. The liquor store was another matter, pretty crowded there.

Old 11-24-2017, 01:23 PM

33,321 posts, read 12,516,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
The biggest joke is the idiots fighting over TV's that were built with cheaper parts so that they can be sold cheaply. That "bargain" will die before the next Black Friday.
I bought one doorbuster laptop (as one of the first people in line) in both 2009, and the same in 2010. The prices were so low that they equaled the price of a portable external hard drive. I didn't open either of them for a couple of years, but did once I needed each of them. Neither lasted 'forever', but definitely long enough to extract a lot of value out of them and make each 'worth waiting for'. I still have the TV I waited for in 2011, and it works just fine. Re each of those three years, the waiting was at the newest Wal-Mart in my community, where about 2/3 have a BA/BS or better, and the median HHI is well over 100k per year. All of the waiting was inside, the lines were usually separated by product, and 'coupons'/'dibs' were handed out. No fighting occurred.

Old 11-24-2017, 01:25 PM

33,321 posts, read 12,516,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
If we did that, there would be no forum.
LOL.

Old 11-24-2017, 01:33 PM

14,775 posts, read 8,103,690 times
I can't stand all the crowds and insanity on Black Friday. I avoid it like the plague.

While we celebrate Christmas, I hate the overly commercialized overly materialistic Christmas
that many have made it into today. (As someone who worked retail in the past, most of those
Black Friday bargains you see are just bait to get you into their store in the first place. They usually have so few of the "door buster" items, they are sold on in minutes)
I try to stay away from the stores from now to Christmas....way too crowded and way too much drama for me.

Last edited by Crazee Cat Lady; 11-24-2017 at 01:43 PM..

Old 11-24-2017, 01:45 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,005,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
I always had to work on that day.

Now, I’m just not interested. We have everything we need and a lot that we don’t.

The only ones to get gifts this year are the kids under 18. That’s it. Some other people are getting baked goods.
This is what we try and do. Canned goods,baked goods or my wife will make people themed pillowcases or she gets flannel at a deep discount and makes a rag quilt or two for those we know who don't live on the surface of the Sun (AZ) during the winter...

Old 11-24-2017, 01:48 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,005,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
That sounds nice.

I went to Home Depot to get things I actually need for this weekend, it wasn't too bad at all. There were a lot of employees around to help find things and they were serving coffee too. The liquor store was another matter, pretty crowded there.
But were they giving away samples?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies