Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2017, 02:13 PM

33,321 posts, read 12,516,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
Stuff I don't need? Are you saying I don't need a new dryer? I almost tried to make that argument to my wife but the look she gave me before I had five words out of my mouth made me think better of it.
LOL.

I like having a spare cheap, small, very light laptop to take in a backpack if I'm walking and not driving. A few days ago my little ASUS 11.6" (2.14 lbs) stopped charging. I can now order an aftermarket charger for about $20.00 and that might solve the problem.

Best Buy had an 11.6" Lenovo...door buster priced at $99 (50% off IIRC for the laptop itself) and that included a year of Office 365 (normally $69, IIRC). From a value perspective, the $99 would be only $10 over the cost of Office 365 plus the aforementioned charger.

I decided to at least make an attempt at Best Buy. I went down to the Best Buy in The Woodlands, and got in line about an hour before they opened. A Best Buy employee came through the line, announcing one 50" TV was now completely sold out. I asked him about the laptop. He said all of the doorbuster laptops would be sold to those who received the coupons that were handed out, and that they ran out of that allotment before the line even 'turned' at the corner of the building. I thanked him, and only ended up wasting about 20-30 minutes in line (in hindsight, I'm glad this happened. Inexplicably, my ASUS is now charging again).

I got home, and turned on the news.

One of the stories covered something I hadn't thought about.

I live in the Houston metro, and the story covered the pent up demand re Hurricane Harvey. Some people have received their insurance checks in the interim, and have been waiting for this week/timeframe to get the best discounts. In addition to appliances, more than one person mentioned replacing quite a bit of furniture.

Old 11-24-2017, 02:23 PM

33,321 posts, read 12,516,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
Why cant there ever be a Black Friday at grocery stores where food is 50-60%?

Old 11-24-2017, 02:24 PM

599 posts, read 276,560 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKVfRY53qIY

Old 11-24-2017, 02:37 PM

7,982 posts, read 4,286,041 times
OP, Black Friday (as it was 10-15 years ago) isn’t really a thing outside of marketing campaigns.

Stop being judgey about something so antiquated.

Old 11-24-2017, 02:49 PM

25,842 posts, read 16,522,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Well, here we have arrived at another Black Friday. This is something that I just can't conceptualize. A mob of people (some of whom started on Thanksgiving evening, for added effect)....swarm the malls early in the morning, in some cases, beating down the doors and each other to grab the latest, greatest, and cheapest 'stuff' that is out there. One item on the shelf, and two people competing? Don't be afraid....do what you have to do, throw an elbow, kick an ankle, GET THAT STUFF for yourself. Making the day even dumber --- these days you can get the same stuff on line if you need it, for roughly the same cost, and without any of the hassle.

As a minimalist - I just don't get it. For most of my life I've only bought what I need, when I need it.
As a gen X guy, I have the millennial attitude of - I'd rather spend money on experiences - trips, a game, a good concert, than on more things.

My family and I will be far away from the malls today.

Who's with me in giving the finger to this nonsense?
It's a national embarrassment. Worse than Hillary winning the Democratic nomination almost.

Old 11-24-2017, 02:51 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,276,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jet757f View Post
Most of this stuff they put for sale on so called black Friday can be found at the same price though out the year when they have sales.
Hit the nail on the head. There may be a few good deals but most of those are online. Otherwise it’s the same as all the other sales. No way I’m going out and standing in line at 3am.

Old 11-24-2017, 03:02 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,050,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FluidFreedom View Post
I’m NOT much of a shopper on normal days, so this doesn’t appeal to me at all. There isn’t anything I need bad enough to go out and get today.
Same here!

Old 11-24-2017, 03:05 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,852,016 times
Not sure about the finger...but I've never understood the fascination of such sales. Seems to me any money you might save that day is nothing compared to crowds, no parking, headaches etc.

[/b]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Well, here we have arrived at another Black Friday. This is something that I just can't conceptualize. A mob of people (some of whom started on Thanksgiving evening, for added effect)....swarm the malls early in the morning, in some cases, beating down the doors and each other to grab the latest, greatest, and cheapest 'stuff' that is out there. One item on the shelf, and two people competing? Don't be afraid....do what you have to do, throw an elbow, kick an ankle, GET THAT STUFF for yourself. Making the day even dumber --- these days you can get the same stuff on line if you need it, for roughly the same cost, and without any of the hassle.

As a minimalist - I just don't get it. For most of my life I've only bought what I need, when I need it.
As a gen X guy, I have the millennial attitude of - I'd rather spend money on experiences - trips, a game, a good concert, than on more things.

My family and I will be far away from the malls today.

Who's with me in giving the finger to this nonsense?

Old 11-24-2017, 03:12 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,932,660 times
The average person out there can put $2/week in a savings account and by Black Friday they’ll have more than could’ve saved by going shopping.

Old 11-24-2017, 03:13 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,751,778 times
I quit going a few years ago when I waited 8 hours in line and the last very minute, when the doors opened, this lady came out of the parking lot and shoved her way inside. That was it for me, no more.

Why go to the mall? The same stuff is online that day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies