Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2017, 09:23 AM

423 posts, read 186,521 times

Advertisements

I’ve just seen the new movie Mudbound on Netflix that takes place during WW2 and the KKK times in America. I really enjoyed the flick, it was absolutely well-made with authentic performances and beautiful cinematography. One thing however bugs me about this movie. It’s another movie in the long line that has the main theme of racial tension between black and white people in America.

I find it strange that in this regard, Europe and the US have such different stances (I'm European btw). Here in Europe since the 2015 mass immigration wave, several films came out with a main theme or side theme of the migrant situation. In these films we can usually see an idealistic picture: the refugees and the host society living together in harmony, successful integration stories, etc. These European movies often have an idealistic message.

While in the US, I can’t help but noticing that the underlying theme in many new films is still the racial tension between black people and white people. There is never a postive, optimistic message. I can see how mainstream films like 'Dear white people', 'Get out', ’Detroit’ and now ’Mudbound’ just to name a few can increase this already high racial tension in the American audience.

(Spoiler warning): in Mudbound, with one exception, all of the white males are shown as heartless bad guys (many of them are also blood-thirsty KKK members), while all of the black people are shown as hard-working, god-loving good guys (end of Spoiler). The contrast is very sharp. I understand that those times in the US were hard and there was horrible segregation. On the other hand I feel that the movie-makers should have some kind of responsibility. Of course Hollywood does not have any obligation toward society but I still find it distasteful that in such times they keep making films that can only deepen the existing racial gap and make an already bad situation worse.

I might be completely wrong but it seems to me as an outsider that the US media and Hollwood have a fixation about race. Has Hollywood made any movies in recent years that are about the friendship of black and white people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2017, 09:52 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,741,829 times
Of course our "media" and "representatives" in government promote racial tension, and any other arbitrary division that they can. Let the slaves fight among themselves so they are too busy to stop and look at the true enemy of the people and freedom, the criminal institution of aggression, "our" government.

Old 11-24-2017, 10:03 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,960,195 times
Creating divisions based on political orientation, gender, race, religion, age etc is a common tactic for the top 0.1% in any society to keep the masses distracted. You regularly see it in other countries when the top 0.1% feel their power is threatened, they will, using the media they own, increase tensions in society. I can guarantee you that this will only increase further in America as more and more wealth and power is transferred into the hands of the top 0.1% and even top 0.01%. It creates a volatile situation and the need for more divisions and distractions will be the recipe the ruling class will use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies