U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-25-2017, 12:53 AM
 
3,302 posts, read 915,017 times
Reputation: 2017

Advertisements

Most people, as they grow older and wiser, with additional experience become more conservative, myself included. It's called growing up!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-25-2017, 01:49 AM
Status: "Can kindness win?" (set 14 hours ago)
 
Location: Here and now.
10,378 posts, read 2,813,517 times
Reputation: 11120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie Jo View Post
Where is the other thread on this?
Brain scans of Republicans and Democrats and what they show
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2017, 02:08 AM
Status: "Can kindness win?" (set 14 hours ago)
 
Location: Here and now.
10,378 posts, read 2,813,517 times
Reputation: 11120
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Most conservatives have that experience. As is typical for the Looney Leftists, they accuse the Right of doing what they do. "Look over there!" In addition to their physical and emotional abuse, we've seen their hypocrisy with the flood of sexual assaults and harassment.
This kind of thing really needs to stop. Sexual abuse is not the sole province of any one political group; it seems to me that both sides are equally guilty. The problem is never going to get solved as long as people are determined to blame it all on the "other guy."

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Like most people I started out as a flaming liberal due to college brainwashing but moderated over time, being Dem, Rep and Indie depending on the election or candidate and if I needed to vote in a primary. Anyone who stays in one party is an idiot or lazy and can't think for themselves.
Would you say the same thing about someone who was a lifelong conservative?

It doesn't appear to me that you have moderated in the least, you have simply switched sides. It's very difficult for me to accept the words of someone who quotes Breitbard on a daily basis, and almost never from any other source, as being much of an independent thinker. I also think statements containing words like "anyone," "no one," everyone," always," and "never" are usually false. Other that statements like "everyone needs oxygen to live," and "no one is immune to gravity," there will always be an exception. (See what I did there? )

The real problem is not people who maintain a lifelong political affiliation, it's people who accept, without question, all actions of whatever party they favor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2017, 04:22 AM
 
Location: Lexington, Kentucky
6,274 posts, read 3,573,356 times
Reputation: 11070
I was a lifelong Republican, but changed to the Democratic Party last year....
I feel personally that it is the Party that has changed...a lot more than me. When I first joined it was conservative, but yet it still had a heart, Capacity to reason and a conscience....any more I don't see that at all. They seemingly have no scruples and would throw the country and reason under the bus if it contradicted their agenda or in favor of their party....I have never been so Partisan that I would choose a Party as opposed to what is best for my Country.
But then again, I have voted Blue as much as I have ever voted red....that D or R besides the name of the Candidate means little to me. ...but on most issues I do Lean toward the Democratic Ideology any more....but have still supported a few Republicans, recently.)

I do think that both parties have a certain amount of baggage, and their share of "bought off" Politicians...and both are corrupt to one degree or another (I am seriously considering registering as an independent...the only issue is that I would not be able to vote in the Primaries in my state, if I do.)

So, from where I am coming from....no I don't think you could determine someone's Political
Affiliation by Brain Studies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2017, 07:10 AM
 
8,504 posts, read 2,389,571 times
Reputation: 8123
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Is there any way to help Liberals realize there are real threats in the world and not everything works according to pie in the sky idealism?

The two world views are symbiotic. One is not better than the other. Both are necessary and shouldn't be pitted against each other.
As soon as conservatives learn those threats have a thing called "statistics" attached to them - AND, that we have plenty of money without borrowing trillions to combat them.....well, then, we'll have something.

As it stands Cons seem ready to go to war when 10 people die and they are very silent when thousands die "by the gun" here in the USA - or when millions die from a combo of pollution, poor medical care, lead pipes and other such factors.

There is no sane excuse for spending 4 to 5 TRILLION dollars (and counting) in the Middle East - all borrowed money - while at the same time allowing our "forgotten men" to languish and our bridges to rust.

Well, there is one or two reasons - but they have more to do with money and ego than with Security.

For some reason, Cons preach about "threats" while the residents of those states have more terminal diseases and die earlier. You'd think the threats outside their doors would concern them before others.

Red States

Great Violence (violent crime by a fact of 2 to 400%)
More Diabetes
More STD
More Heart Problems
More Obesity

Those are REAL problems that are "a threat"...yet they sit in from of the TV and worry about some Muslim barging in their door. That's what I mean about misplaced Fear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2017, 09:42 AM
 
Location: PSL
7,246 posts, read 1,702,447 times
Reputation: 2598
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
As soon as conservatives learn those threats have a thing called "statistics" attached to them - AND, that we have plenty of money without borrowing trillions to combat them.....well, then, we'll have something.

As it stands Cons seem ready to go to war when 10 people die and they are very silent when thousands die "by the gun" here in the USA - or when millions die from a combo of pollution, poor medical care, lead pipes and other such factors.

There is no sane excuse for spending 4 to 5 TRILLION dollars (and counting) in the Middle East - all borrowed money - while at the same time allowing our "forgotten men" to languish and our bridges to rust.

Well, there is one or two reasons - but they have more to do with money and ego than with Security.

For some reason, Cons preach about "threats" while the residents of those states have more terminal diseases and die earlier. You'd think the threats outside their doors would concern them before others.

Red States

Great Violence (violent crime by a fact of 2 to 400%)
More Diabetes
More STD
More Heart Problems
More Obesity

Those are REAL problems that are "a threat"...yet they sit in from of the TV and worry about some Muslim barging in their door. That's what I mean about misplaced Fear.
Bridges rusting that's a rust belt issue... road salt and all... not necessarily an issue pertaining to southern states so much. NY VT CT MA NH DE ME MI etc etc...

I see you have quite the misconception of "red states". If the belief is red states are exclusive to violence diabetes stds heart and obesity issues... you clearly haven't been out much in your commonwealth of MA...

Ever been to 6 flags in Chicopee? How about the Big E fair? I have. Obesity is not exclusive to red vs blue... north vs south... obesity is a national issue... hell a trip to any Walmart Target or BigY in MA and you'd swear someone let walrus's on the loose. Obesity/Heart concerns go hand in hand.

Violence? Guess you've never been to Springfield Pittsfield I could go on with more cities and towns in MA.

STDS exclusive to red/south? No.
Exclusive to denser population zones? Kind of. 0 here. I value my health more than a go in the sheets. Always have. That's a moral and personal responsibility issue. Not at all exclusive to the south or red states. 2 girls I dated were from the Berkshire region... 1 from Otis and 1 from Lenox. They avoided Pittsfield dudes like the plague. just as I avoided chick's from the capital region of NY and Poughkeepsie/Newburg/Beacon.

Albany Area is Full of Chlamydia LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2017, 02:58 PM
 
8,504 posts, read 2,389,571 times
Reputation: 8123
FBI stats show more violence in the south.
More infant and maternal mortality in the south.
People from Alabama live about 2 years less than average Americans.
LA, NC, AL, etc. have highest STD rates.

Highest Obesity - therefore all associated disease:
1 w West Virginia 37.7% ±1.4
2 Y Mississippi 37.3% ±1.9
3 B Alabama 35.7% ±1.6
3 C Arkansas 35.7% ±2.4
5 R Louisiana 35.5% ±2.1
6 p Tennessee 34.8% ±1.8
7 Q Kentucky 34.2% ±1.5
8 q Texas 33.7% ±1.7
9 j Oklahoma 32.8% ±1.6

You have proven my point. Over and over again. Statistics need to be measured over large population of people and over time.

The results are very clear. Just as there are more divorces in the Bible Belt, there are more dead children because we didn't care enough to spend a little time and money.

"The South has the highest rate of divorce and the Northeast has the lowest, according to a new U.S. Census Bureau report.
In the report released Thursday, the Census Bureau based its findings on data collected by American Community Survey in 2009.
There were 10.2 divorces per 1,000 men in the South in 2009 and 11.1 per 1,000 women. This was more than that year's national average, which was 9.2 for men and 9.7 for women.
The Northeast rate is 7.2 per 1,000 for men and 7.5 per 1,000 for women, the study."

In the world of logic and reason, measurements mean something. Yet we have a country where these 2nd world area are telling our government that all is A-OK and, in fact, they want the rest of the country to share in their suffering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2017, 03:02 PM
 
8,504 posts, read 2,389,571 times
Reputation: 8123
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
I see you have quite the misconception of "red states". If the belief is red states are exclusive to violence diabetes stds heart and obesity issues... you clearly haven't been out much in your commonwealth of MA...
LOL
LOL

IMHO, you are making a fool of yourself because you claim statistics, death rates and all the other measurements from the Census, FBI, CDC, etc are WRONG.

You know this because....well, you know someone who is fat or has an STD...

This is honestly why I find it so hard to speak to conservatives. Facts don't matter. The sum total of those facts, which include lack of education and income, mean a dumber and more ignorant population....which then again cannot understand the basics of how public health is measured.

THINK. READ. then come back in a year and we'll talk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2017, 03:05 PM
 
28,411 posts, read 14,127,306 times
Reputation: 19545
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Fascinating.

"MRI scans, areas linked to broad social connectedness, which involves friends and the world at large, light up in Democrats’ brains."

"Republicans, on the other hand, show more neural activity in parts of the brain associated with tight social connectedness, which focuses on family and country."

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/scienc...YCIqhuygULK.99
And those of us who are fiscally conservative and socially liberal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2017, 03:50 PM
 
Location: Just over the horizon
6,409 posts, read 2,259,067 times
Reputation: 3387
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
And those of us who are fiscally conservative and socially liberal?
Usually that just means that you're bad at math.

(But it really depends on your definition of socially Liberal)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top