U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-25-2017, 05:16 PM
 
19,237 posts, read 11,166,213 times
Reputation: 8386

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
That doesn't look like an ad for smithsonian magazine to you?
No. Just well written. I have a friend who writes everything very eloquently —
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-25-2017, 05:30 PM
 
4,744 posts, read 2,269,326 times
Reputation: 6123
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
How does it account for people who's political views change over time?

Like many people, I became less Liberal and more Conservative as I got older.

Probably the real start of that transformation occurred when I quit smoking pot and the fog of pie in the sky Leftist ideology started to clear out of my brain like coughing out a particularly harsh bong hit.
Despite popular belief, people change over time. I am not the same person I was 10 years ago. Some people get wiser as they gain more life experience while others become dumber over time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2017, 05:36 PM
 
9,303 posts, read 5,799,369 times
Reputation: 7559
Republican And Democratic Brains Debunked For (Hopefully) The Last Time | Science 2.0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2017, 05:47 PM
 
Location: Greeley, CO
3,965 posts, read 1,927,424 times
Reputation: 3798
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
Most people, as they grow older and wiser, with additional experience become more conservative, myself included. It's called growing up!
The problem here is with the word "conservative." Many people who label themselves conservative today are actually reactionary. Some of them are less radical than others. Some believe in the concept of limited government to allow for greater corporate power, while others believe you can have markets without governments. Nearly all of them call for at least some sort of deregulation, and want social safety nets abolished.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2017, 06:11 PM
Status: "King of the World" (set 21 days ago)
 
Location: Itinerant
5,202 posts, read 3,754,680 times
Reputation: 4083
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
LOL

IMHO, you are making a fool of yourself because you claim statistics, death rates and all the other measurements from the Census, FBI, CDC, etc are WRONG.

You know this because....well, you know someone who is fat or has an STD...

This is honestly why I find it so hard to speak to conservatives. Facts don't matter. The sum total of those facts, which include lack of education and income, mean a dumber and more ignorant population....which then again cannot understand the basics of how public health is measured.

THINK. READ. then come back in a year and we'll talk.
You need to read the term ' exclusively' before crowing the poster is denying various statistical bodies. Violence occurs in all states red and blue, and a LOT happens in urban areas. Same thing for STDs, further STDs are cyclic anyway and depending on the year will depend on who has the highest per capita rates of infections.

To be frank the whole red/blue state argument is a red herring anyway. Who commits more crime people voting Democrat or Republican? We have 'em in custody don't need to resort to looking at state of residence, because most states are around 33%-55% Republican or Democrat and those that are not are mostly the opposite (third or no parties like me excepted).

Same applies to all other stats you present, if you want a serious discussion on rates of various social ills, vs. Political parties you need to get more specific than 'oh they live in Louisiana', last presidential election Trump got 58.8% of the vote from 67.8% of the voting population making potentially Louisiana a Blue state in truth it's only 40% of possible votes Clinton could have received 60% of voters support in LA but we'd not know (and whodathunkit Hillary only received 46% of total votes in CA, with a 75% turnout, CA could be Red not blue).

However we could find out with simple questions to people who commit crimes, get STDs, divorces (perhaps after getting an STD), unwanted pregnancies, who receive state benefits for multiple reasons. Then we can say who does what better or worse than who else, but you can't do that by referencing a state if you don't know which political group particular offenders belong (without looking like you're standing there with your **** in your hand). Because just maybe your 'team' are the offenders.

Stats like all things are powerful and can be used effectively to examine among other things societies ills, but used incorrectly they just become some meaningless stick that's being waved around trying to smack someone on the head with, during a debate. That diminishes both the argument, and the use of statistics in general.
__________________
My mod posts will always be in red.
The Rules • Infractions & Deletions • Who's the moderator? • FAQ • What is a "Personal Attack" • What is "Trolling" • Guidelines for copyrighted material.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2017, 09:30 PM
 
Location: USA
18,587 posts, read 13,710,249 times
Reputation: 12151
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
I hardly think conservatives are immune from invading countries.
Of course they're not but I really didn't expect a Nobel Peace prize winning president to be responsable for the pain and suffering he caused In Libya, Syria, Yemen, in addition to the 2000 American servicemen lost in Afganistan, and One billion dollars in Cruise missiles used under his reign
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2017, 09:33 PM
 
Location: USA
18,587 posts, read 13,710,249 times
Reputation: 12151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
You need to read the term ' exclusively' before crowing the poster is denying various statistical bodies. Violence occurs in all states red and blue, and a LOT happens in urban areas. Same thing for STDs, further STDs are cyclic anyway and depending on the year will depend on who has the highest per capita rates of infections.

To be frank the whole red/blue state argument is a red herring anyway. Who commits more crime people voting Democrat or Republican? We have 'em in custody don't need to resort to looking at state of residence, because most states are around 33%-55% Republican or Democrat and those that are not are mostly the opposite (third or no parties like me excepted).

Same applies to all other stats you present, if you want a serious discussion on rates of various social ills, vs. Political parties you need to get more specific than 'oh they live in Louisiana', last presidential election Trump got 58.8% of the vote from 67.8% of the voting population making potentially Louisiana a Blue state in truth it's only 40% of possible votes Clinton could have received 60% of voters support in LA but we'd not know (and whodathunkit Hillary only received 46% of total votes in CA, with a 75% turnout, CA could be Red not blue).

However we could find out with simple questions to people who commit crimes, get STDs, divorces (perhaps after getting an STD), unwanted pregnancies, who receive state benefits for multiple reasons. Then we can say who does what better or worse than who else, but you can't do that by referencing a state if you don't know which political group particular offenders belong (without looking like you're standing there with your **** in your hand). Because just maybe your 'team' are the offenders.

Stats like all things are powerful and can be used effectively to examine among other things societies ills, but used incorrectly they just become some meaningless stick that's being waved around trying to smack someone on the head with, during a debate. That diminishes both the argument, and the use of statistics in general.
He doesn't want to acknowledge the demographics when its a Democrat only when its a Rebublican.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2017, 11:19 PM
 
2,758 posts, read 682,036 times
Reputation: 1158
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
That doesn't look like an ad for smithsonian magazine to you?
Eh, it could have been just laziness. Some sites (including this one, evidently...I tried it) append on some things like the URL on the end of your copied quote to make sure they get credit. Leaving the subscription info in did make it seem like a bit of an ad, but I don’t think it was necessarily created here to be one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-26-2017, 07:16 PM
 
Location: Jewel Lake (Sagle) Idaho
25,384 posts, read 16,318,821 times
Reputation: 14107
Dude, I hope they didn't spend much money on this. Everyone knows the answer already. If the brain is located in the cranium, that person is a Republican. If it's located in the rectum, they are a Democrat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-26-2017, 08:43 PM
Status: "We're all entitled to my own opinion." (set 6 days ago)
 
Location: Suburb of Chicago
17,473 posts, read 8,582,390 times
Reputation: 18160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie Jo View Post
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/scien...racy-17536124/

Other scans have shown that brain regions associated with risk and uncertainty, such as the fear-processing amygdala, differ in structure in liberals and conservatives. And different architecture means different behavior. Liberals tend to seek out novelty and uncertainty, while conservatives exhibit strong changes in attitude to threatening situations. The former are more willing to accept risk, while the latter tends to have more intense physical reactions to threatening stimuli.
Read more: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/scienc...J535p4TcZ2G.99
Give the gift of Smithsonian magazine for only $12! http://bit.ly/1cGUiGv
Follow us: @SmithsonianMag on Twitter
They surely missed something in doing the study because we've seen countless examples of liberals having intense physical reactions to non-threatening stimuli.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top