U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 04:32 AM

33,058 posts, read 12,540,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I'm not seeing how any of that would explain liberals' mortal fear of poverty (as in always asking for more freebie welfare handouts), and their complete unwillingness to correct their own poverty issues. 2/3 of those on public assistance vote Dem. ...
Do liberals fear poverty or do they feel sympathy for the less fortunate? Do they feel a broader connection to humanity than Republicans do? The brain scans suggest they do.

If you have any peer-reviewed studies on this connection between mortal fear of poverty and voting Democratic, I'd be interested in seeing them.

In my personal experience, poverty-stricken people hardly even vote. Keeping body and soul together is about all they can manage.

Those one jump up the ladder often vote for Democrats. Why would folks hanging by a thread support Republicans and their constant attempts to cut funding for Food Stamps, ACA, Medicaid, Medicare, Social Security? I'm surprised Republicans can even get a third of these people to shoot themselves in the foot.

Those another rung up with decent jobs and benefits, generally do well during Democratic administrations. The last Republican President to leave the nation in better economic shape than he found it was Eisenhower. Job growth under Clinton was remarkable and left the nation with several years of a surplus budget, and on track to pay off the deficit.

That only lasted about year once a Republican was in charge.

Why would anyone who works for a living vote for Republicans and their tax cut scams?

Only a few reasons I can think of:

1) They are wealthy and do well during the recessions and so are just working for the fun of it.

2) They've been tricked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2017, 05:01 AM

62,559 posts, read 27,822,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Do liberals fear poverty or do they feel sympathy for the less fortunate?
They fear it. If it was sympathy, they'd voluntarily donate enough of their own money to fund means-tested assistance programs without having to tax others to do so.

Quote:
Do they feel a broader connection to humanity than Republicans do?
Clearly not, as they won't put their own money where their mouths are.

Old 11-27-2017, 09:23 AM

60,411 posts, read 30,688,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie Jo View Post
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/scien...racy-17536124/

Other scans have shown that brain regions associated with risk and uncertainty, such as the fear-processing amygdala, differ in structure in liberals and conservatives. And different architecture means different behavior. Liberals tend to seek out novelty and uncertainty, while conservatives exhibit strong changes in attitude to threatening situations. The former are more willing to accept risk, while the latter tends to have more intense physical reactions to threatening stimuli.
Read more: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/scienc...J535p4TcZ2G.99
Give the gift of Smithsonian magazine for only $12! http://bit.ly/1cGUiGv
Follow us: @SmithsonianMag on Twitter

Then, how does someone become, "Red Pilled"

Old 11-27-2017, 09:58 AM

4,047 posts, read 1,810,098 times
Kinda figured if you were dropped on your head as a child you became a republican. 😀

Old 11-27-2017, 10:49 AM

7,327 posts, read 1,717,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
LOL

IMHO, you are making a fool of yourself because you claim statistics, death rates and all the other measurements from the Census, FBI, CDC, etc are WRONG.

You know this because....well, you know someone who is fat or has an STD...

This is honestly why I find it so hard to speak to conservatives. Facts don't matter. The sum total of those facts, which include lack of education and income, mean a dumber and more ignorant population....which then again cannot understand the basics of how public health is measured.

THINK. READ. then come back in a year and we'll talk.
You could benefit from your own advice...

Thinking and reading... guess you didn't see the word "Exclusive"

To double down on dumb is just plain ignorance.

You find it hard to speak to a young conservative that has traveled frequently amongst the north east...
See, you have this holier than thou approach, proof
Quote:
You know this because....well, you know someone who is fat or has an STD...
Wrong

You may try to portray the northeast as some fairytale utopian area... and smear anything south of the Mason Dixon and east of California as some plague infested, war zone, controlled by syphilis infected waddlesworths.

You must not get out often... there are plenty of fat people in the north east, Big E 6 flags they are out in abundance! Never mind your Big Y and stepping foot into any Walmart...

Plenty more obese up north from what I've seen, than what I've seen in Maryland in Georgia and here in Florida. Especially Florida.

But I guess "anecdotal" evidence doesn't count. Write that off... completely.

Say how's that heroin safespace jargon working out for you up in massatwochits
Thanks for spreading your scourge into upstate via Route20 from Pittsfield.
Pittsfield. Home of Caius Veiovis the Berkshire butcher....

So much for violence being exclusive to the south.

Quote:
which then again cannot understand the basics of how public health is measured.
Oh I know how stats and rates work.

To you, you see
Quote:
People from Alabama live about 2 years less than average Americans.
LA, NC, AL, etc. have highest STD rates.
So Louisiana population of 4,670,720 having the highest STD rates. Okay. Where? Or do you want to be broad with that assessment and claim the state is full of polluted bodies?

Looking to the Louisiana state department of health website... and if you'd like to get political...

Democrat ran New Orleans is the leader for all forms of STDS...
2,568 chlamydia and gonorrhea
375 HIV
199 Siphilis
Coming in 2nd Baton Rouge another Ran By Democrats. Shall I continue?

So is it more convienent to label Louisiana a red state one of the highest rated for STDs in terms of speaking of a collective for the state and drawing a conclusion?
(In true liberal fashion.)
Or Would you rather
Follow my example of looking to specifics and drawing a conclusion

Because just like crime... when we analyze the data... it's blue hives in red states that take the lead for STDs, poverty, crime, violence etc.

What other area has a population of 4 million or so?
Well... NYC has a population of 8 million... Los Angeles comes close with 3.9 million... Long Island has 7.9 million... want to compare the rates of MA to Louisiana?

See, that's why you can't stand me. You have this perception that conservatives are as blatantly ignorant as you. One thing I give you north east liberals credit for is consistency in ignorance...

South of the Mason Dixon and east of California is a war zone ran by lard ass STD ridden weeble wobbles.

In the case of Texas (going for cross thread points here) where your feeble worry is you are at a 300% higher chance succumbing to violence, if you want to speak in broad terms okay, what say you of California where your chances are 1,609% higher?

Or does California get a pass? Or do you break it down further? And say it's only the LA basin you need to be concerned about and southern California? Taking the Napa Valley liberal elitist approach?

So while I didn't wait a year did I break your bubble? Did I offend you with facts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or