U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2017, 04:13 PM

5,467 posts, read 4,601,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
He had no idea what he was shooting at which is one of the things that make this more than an accident.
Exactly. A coworker of mine was taken hunting for the first time by her husband. As they sat in a a deer blind, he told her "whatever comes out of that woods, shoot." Horrifying. Idiots like that give responsible hunters a bad name.

I hope they throw the book at the guy. He obviously just shot at "something" moving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2017, 05:35 PM

33,485 posts, read 14,628,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Hope this guy gets hammered by the law, his stupidity cost a man his beloved wife.

Other articles mention that he shot her 40 minutes after sunset, and it is illegal to hunt deer in New York after sunset.

https://nypost.com/2017/11/24/hunter...s-a-deer-cops/
The world is filled with stupid people of all stripes but, accidents DO happen!

Old 11-30-2017, 05:36 PM

33,485 posts, read 14,628,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
I was surprised that it was legal to hunt deer with a pistol. Not a great idea.
"I was surprised that it was legal to hunt deer with a pistol. Not a great idea."

Depends on the pistol!

Old 11-30-2017, 10:04 PM

15,124 posts, read 8,636,029 times
Deer hunter who killed woman is charged with manslaughter

Old 11-30-2017, 10:06 PM

1,429 posts, read 707,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post

I hope this forces the wild side hunters to verify what the HE%% they are shooting at in the first place.

Old 12-01-2017, 10:40 AM

29,976 posts, read 15,292,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Why is it not a good idea?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Why not hunt with a pistol? Maybe because most people cannot hit a broom closet with a pistol if they were locked inside. Pistols are also for self defense at very close range generally measured in a low number of feet. Hitting a 1 ft. target at 100 ft. is really difficult. That is about the size of the kill zone on a deer and about as close as a person is likely to get. Hitting that same size target at three times the distance is not very difficult with a rifle even with iron sights.
This. It's a matter of ethics. If you hunt (I have nothing against hunting - it's not for me, but deer outbreed their resources and keeping their numbers in check through hunting isn't any worse for the deer than having it happen through starvation) you have an ethical obligation to pick the tool that will take down the animal with the best possible chance of a clean kill.

What sort of proficiency test is required to hunt with pistols? (Don't tell me there isn't one.)

Old 12-01-2017, 10:41 AM

11,552 posts, read 3,753,280 times
All he has to say is it was an accident and the gun accidentally went off and he will walk free thanks to San Fran.

Old 12-01-2017, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
The world is filled with stupid people of all stripes but, accidents DO happen!
Accident rates can be lowered. We could start by keeping the stupid people of all stripes from playing with handguns when they have no idea of what they're doing. Some people have complained that stupidity isn't painful, but they're wrong. Stupidity is extremely painful - just not to the stupid people. Wonder how many deer have suffered gunshot injuries from pistol-packing amateurs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"I was surprised that it was legal to hunt deer with a pistol. Not a great idea."

Depends on the pistol!
Pshaw. The weak link isn't the firearm.

Old 12-01-2017, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
All he has to say is it was an accident and the gun accidentally went off and he will walk free thanks to San Fran.
His "I thought I saw a deer" statement makes makes for an admission of an intentional discharge.

Old 12-01-2017, 10:52 AM

4,063 posts, read 1,978,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Accident rates can be lowered. We could start by keeping the stupid people of all stripes from playing with handguns when they have no idea of what they're doing. Some people have complained that stupidity isn't painful, but they're wrong. Stupidity is extremely painful - just not to the stupid people. Wonder how many deer have suffered gunshot injuries from pistol-packing amateurs.

Pshaw. The weak link isn't the firearm.
The guy is likely lying. I have no idea what he was really doing (maybe shooting at her dogs) but he wasn't hunting deer from his yard with his pistol.

The stupidity is the legal system giving him a pass for killing someone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or