U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2017, 09:38 AM

9,891 posts, read 5,739,696 times

Advertisements

Fake video. But there are people like this, young healthy people with issues like depression and anxiety that are given full disability, Medicare, food stamps.. I used to deal with plenty of them at the clinic, they were often on multiple psychotropic meds including powerful sleep medications. I think most were overmedicated and this keeps them on disability.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2017, 10:12 AM

326 posts, read 654,129 times
The question I have is how do you know they’re using EBT to pay for their groceries?

I remember when food stamps were dollar size paper coupons. So yes I can see an eyebrow raised if someone whipped out a fistful of food stamps to pay for their cart full of steak, lobster, caviar, soda, and whatever else people swear the poor are always buying. But now they all have cards so how do you know it’s an ebt card?. Do you make it a habit of noticing what card people are using? Do all of the ebt cards look the same?

Look I am all for cutting waste and fraud of my tax dollars. But I find it hard to believe the typical poor person is going to blow their ebt, that is supposed to last them the month, on a few expensive items. I think the woman in the YouTube is bad with money and a little nuts. Who needs a bunch of expensive key rings? Who’s going to see them? And if she comfortable enough financially to throw away $147 ebt, she clearly doesn’t need ebt.

Old 11-25-2017, 10:18 AM

20,899 posts, read 22,710,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Fake video. But there are people like this, young healthy people with issues like depression and anxiety that are given full disability, Medicare, food stamps.. I used to deal with plenty of them at the clinic, they were often on multiple psychotropic meds including powerful sleep medications. I think most were overmedicated and this keeps them on disability.
Real or fake video really doesn't matter. There are people out there who fit your description. I know of one who owns a house, a fairly new SUV and has a off the books job. Get the right doctors to certify the illness and train the person on how to pass as having a mental disability. Once certified there is never a re-certification. When they hit the age for Social Security, they will get to keep their higher rate rather than the SS rate in place for those who aged into it.

Old 11-25-2017, 11:15 AM

14,996 posts, read 16,568,235 times
The supermarket I go to is probably patronized 75% or more by EBT users. I am in line with these folks everyday and have been for decades.

The old "steak and lobster" chestnut is based on a a few tired and worn out anecdotes, and when it does happen, it doesn't bother me. Why?

Because chances are those thing are a rare treat for them. The average EBT budget is barely $100 a month for most families. What is really going into their carts most of the time? Doritos, Funyuns, white bread, boloney, hot dogs, Little Debbie snack cakes, artificially flavored fruit punch, soft drinks, ice cream, and 100 other crappy disease inducing drugs, I mean "foods" that are far more egregious than the occasional $8.99/pound nutritionally dense, healthy steak or lobster.

Old 11-25-2017, 11:20 AM

8,301 posts, read 3,463,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
The supermarket I go to is probably patronized 75% or more by EBT users. I am in line with these folks everyday and have been for decades.

The old "steak and lobster" chestnut is based on a a few tired and worn out anecdotes, and when it does happen, it doesn't bother me. Why?

Because chances are those thing are a rare treat for them. The average EBT budget is barely $100 a month for most families. What is really going into their carts most of the time? Doritos, Funyuns, white bread, boloney, hot dogs, Little Debbie snack cakes, artificially flavored fruit punch, soft drinks, ice cream, and 100 other crappy disease inducing drugs, I mean "foods" that are far more egregious than the occasional $8.99/pound nutritionally dense, healthy steak or lobster.
Exactly what I recall being on food stamps summer of '73, inner city Chicago.

Old 11-25-2017, 11:21 AM

10,858 posts, read 5,102,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
I thought what you can buy with food stamps is strictly regulated.
That used to be the case, "food stamps" are no longer used - now it's just a swipe card that pays the bill.

Old 11-25-2017, 11:38 AM

16,433 posts, read 9,290,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGmQAF84tww

At least the lobster went to a nice dog which is better than most.

I was cashier in a grocery store in the Denver area during the last recession as a cashier. I will always remember the expensive lobsters, expensive steaks, artisan bakery items and cold gourmet items they would buy in the deli.

I was a cashier and the only thing surprising in the video is that she didn't buy a filet mignon also.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politic...-of-the-system

Luckily, there is President Trump who is planning common sense welfare reform after his middle-class tax cuts that will make the tax system much more simple and easy to understand.
It's a fixed amount. Whatever she choose to spend it on is fine by me, even if it is a horrible choice.

Old 11-25-2017, 12:30 PM

25,430 posts, read 14,518,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post
Most of our food is not 50%+ added sugar, even the prepared stuff. You need to draw the line somewhere. Nothing prepared is probably too strict (simply because not all prepared food is overly unhealthy or expensive, I don't really buy your assertion that a material number of people can't carve out a couple hours to get some bulk cooking in). Allowing soda is definitely not strict enough.
We don't know how long they work or travel for work. Remember workfare from the 1990's? I mean some people travel at least two hours just to get to work and then work an 8/10/12 hour day and then make that two hour trek back home. That is 16 hours in a day. Imagine doing that for 5 to 6 days in a week with no support to run errands or do chores.

Old 11-25-2017, 12:34 PM

5,773 posts, read 3,100,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
The recipients with kids are usually unmarried - getting married usually disqualifies them from food stamps because hubby makes too much money. By staying unmarried, baby daddy's income doesn't count.
But there are states getting more aggressive with collecting child support .... not the greatest time to be a baby daddy.

Old 11-25-2017, 06:06 PM

1,589 posts, read 770,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Real or fake video really doesn't matter. There are people out there who fit your description. I know of one who owns a house, a fairly new SUV and has a off the books job. Get the right doctors to certify the illness and train the person on how to pass as having a mental disability. Once certified there is never a re-certification. When they hit the age for Social Security, they will get to keep their higher rate rather than the SS rate in place for those who aged into it.
This is a lie. People on disability come up for reviews on a regular basis. It's generally every three years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies