Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2017, 04:14 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,859,400 times

Advertisements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGmQAF84tww

At least the lobster went to a nice dog which is better than most.

I was cashier in a grocery store in the Denver area during the last recession as a cashier. I will always remember the expensive lobsters, expensive steaks, artisan bakery items and cold gourmet items they would buy in the deli.

I was a cashier and the only thing surprising in the video is that she didn't buy a filet mignon also.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politic...-of-the-system

Luckily, there is President Trump who is planning common sense welfare reform after his middle-class tax cuts that will make the tax system much more simple and easy to understand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2017, 04:20 PM

130,047 posts, read 12,067,125 times
I think anyone can make a you tube of anything they want. Many people need ebt to keep hunger away.

Old 11-24-2017, 04:25 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,859,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
I think anyone can make a you tube of anything they want. Many people need ebt to keep hunger away.
America's seniors and physically disabled deserve EBT.

https://www.fns.usda.gov/snap/how-much-could-i-receive

Many younger adults in poverty have large families and if they are married with 5 kids they can receive over $12,000 a year in food stamps just for having large families when poor.

Old 11-24-2017, 04:25 PM

29,506 posts, read 22,620,513 times
Dogs need to eat too, and I'm sure many a pet owner would treat their pets to gourmet food if they could.

It's not illegal.

Old 11-24-2017, 04:39 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,644,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Hey, I absolutely agree that some people truly need food stamps to supplement their family's grocery needs. However, I also believe there should be stipulations as to what sorts of foods you can buy with these cards. I have personally witnessed this same sort of frivolous EBT spending many, many times. I'm sorry, but there's nothing worse than standing in line with bread and hot dogs, trying to get through until payday on the six dollars you have left, and then watching the person in front of you with 2 carts of groceries not pay a dime for them. And these aren't just normal groceries either. Everything is generally name brand and I swear, less fortunate people have expensive taste when it comes to meats. I've seen them buying crab legs, whole rib-eyes, etc. and it's all on the state. I personally know 2 different individuals who used their stamps to throw giant parties at their homes. They told others to bring the booze, but not to worry about food, because they had it covered.

Oh, and here's the worst one. I have personally seen this happen several times. Man/woman checks out hundreds of dollars in groceries and pays with EBT. Then, they turn around and pay for beer and wine with $100 dollar bills!!!! I swear to you, I have seen it, and not once or twice. These are the things we need to limit. No fancy meats, no name brands, etc. If you are on food stamps, then you should be on a budget imposed by the people providing you with that free food. If I can't afford to buy steaks and crab legs because I actually have to pay for my groceries, then the EBT folks shouldn't be able to live it up in that fashion off of my taxes.

Old 11-24-2017, 04:45 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
Not illegal, people buy cases of soda with EBT........nothing to be done about it.

Old 11-24-2017, 04:46 PM

2,528 posts, read 1,656,169 times
EBT should be limited to only basic and healthy food. Rice, flour, eggs, basic whole wheat bread, vegies, non-fancy fruits, milk, limited types of meat, poultry.
Nothing fancy.

Old 11-24-2017, 04:52 PM

29,506 posts, read 22,620,513 times
Why should EBT be limited to only certain foods?

If people want to spend them on sodas or other foods that are not 'healthy,' so what (and meat, dairy, and eggs are not healthy by the way). What business is that of ours. I as a taxpayer don't give a toss how EBT is used as long as it's used for food and not traded illegally.

Old 11-24-2017, 05:02 PM

3,321 posts, read 1,099,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John from Canada View Post
Just get rid of welfare. Back in the old days people didn't have welfare. So they fought to create unions and get paid a living wage.

Welfare just takes money from the working poor and gives it to people who don't work. Meanwhile the rich get richer and laugh at all you schmucks who work 60 hours a week to put food on your tables and pay your taxes.
Shhhhh.....if you apply logic to the OP's premise the whole house of cards falls apart.

Old 11-24-2017, 05:05 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Shouldn't be a card with money.
Should be a few nutritious staple items they can choose from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies