Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2017, 07:52 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,274,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Not illegal, people buy cases of soda with EBT........nothing to be done about it.
I thought what you can buy with food stamps is strictly regulated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2017, 08:07 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,817,498 times
Just saying, confront people over what they are buying to eat, be prepared for consequences.

But do it, post what happened.

Old 11-24-2017, 08:09 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post
Remove soda + anything with over 50% of calories from added sugars from EBT eligibility? Doesn't seem particularly hard to do something about it. WIC already has far stricter restrictions than that (too strict really, we've done a bad job of finding a happy medium that allows choice while stopping waste).
You do realize that a lot of our food today is exactly that. And those on EBT may not have the time to actually cook real meals if even once a week to cool them to reheat them. I don't get why people don't realize this wrinkle. Listen i would prefer to use a carrot to get people to eat healthy, especially those on EBT, but the reality isn't as easy as the proposal makes it out to be.

Old 11-24-2017, 08:20 PM

29,515 posts, read 22,653,459 times
I'm sure some of the same people up in arms over how people spend their EBT checks are the same people that turn a blind eye to, or even support worse forms of tax payer waste and pork barrel nonsense. Like the tens and tens of billions of dollars that simply vanished from Iraq and Afghanistan. That's right, gone with no one knowing what happened to the money. And we're still wasting billions there. At least EBT is helping our own citizens with food.

Old 11-24-2017, 08:38 PM

8,177 posts, read 6,925,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
I don't believe you. Sorry.
Don't know what it's like in the real world, eh?
How nice that must be.

Old 11-24-2017, 08:48 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,884,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
You do realize that a lot of our food today is exactly that. And those on EBT may not have the time to actually cook real meals if even once a week to cool them to reheat them. I don't get why people don't realize this wrinkle. Listen i would prefer to use a carrot to get people to eat healthy, especially those on EBT, but the reality isn't as easy as the proposal makes it out to be.
Most of our food is not 50%+ added sugar, even the prepared stuff. You need to draw the line somewhere. Nothing prepared is probably too strict (simply because not all prepared food is overly unhealthy or expensive, I don't really buy your assertion that a material number of people can't carve out a couple hours to get some bulk cooking in). Allowing soda is definitely not strict enough.

Old 11-24-2017, 08:49 PM

2,248 posts, read 2,349,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I'm sure some of the same people up in arms over how people spend their EBT checks are the same people that turn a blind eye to, or even support worse forms of tax payer waste and pork barrel nonsense. Like the tens and tens of billions of dollars that simply vanished from Iraq and Afghanistan. That's right, gone with no one knowing what happened to the money. And we're still wasting billions there. At least EBT is helping our own citizens with food.
Yup. These people are full of sh**

All of the money wasted on idiotic wars, prisons, tax cuts for the wealthy, but foodstamps angers them? They can put a sock in it.

Old 11-24-2017, 08:54 PM

34,054 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mash123 View Post
EBT should be limited to only basic and healthy food. Rice, flour, eggs, basic whole wheat bread, vegies, non-fancy fruits, milk, limited types of meat, poultry.
Nothing fancy.
Agree fully.

Old 11-24-2017, 08:54 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,948,900 times
Ah, another thread trying to justify taking away a program that helps poor people.

If the GOP tax plan passes, are we going to video CEOs buying new Bentley’s with their tax cuts, which is every bit redistribution as programs for the poor?

Old 11-24-2017, 08:59 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,342,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
Then they can pay for it with THEIR OWN money.

Should be staples only....for a limited time.

Remember when shame was an actual thing?
There's a lot of things I disprove of that's being spent with my tax dollars, but lobster isn't one of them. Most people on government assistance isn't buying lobster on a regular basis. Personally, I rather them buy lobster over packaged junk food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies