Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2017, 07:21 AM

5,770 posts, read 3,219,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
I don't see, except for governmental wealth redistribution, how taxing the rich more helps liberal voters any more than taxing them less. If they claim the rich are paying less taxes than they are, why don't they advocate, instead of having the rich pay more, that they themselves should pay LESS? Or they could advocate that everyone pays a flat rate (say 10-15% for everyone, regardless of income).
When i see wrist watches go for $193,000 and then see millions either homeless or hungry, it turns me just a little to the left.

When I see paintings go for several million dollars at Sothebys and then see children bringing their four year old siblings to school for their only meal of the day, it turns me a little more to the left.

When I see multibillion dollar corporations train their employees techniques of getting on food stamps or medicaid, It pushes me a little more to the left.

I've done pretty well in life in spite of some setbacks, but seeing hunger where there is also obscene wealth just seems unAmerican.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2017, 07:26 AM

57,227 posts, read 26,172,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
If liberals would put their money where their mouths are and donate enough to support the poor, others wouldn't have to pay excessively high taxes.
Actually many do, Buffett, Zuckerburg and Gates come to mind along with many middle class citizens in addition to many on the other side of politics. its not polarized until you come to politics. But why should some individuals unilaterally support the poor, aren't we a country.

Old 11-26-2017, 07:29 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,938,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
"Gimp the poor?" Shouldn't they be EARNING and PAYING for what they get?
Yes in a perfect world where everyone equally has access to the same opportunities. Sadly we don't live in a perfect world. Basically conservatives want to kick the poor while there down and cement there place in society all while whining about how they don't work hard enough. The countries with the best social mobility also happen to be the ones with the best help for the poor imagine that. https://www.brookings.edu/wp-content...awhill_ch3.pdf

Old 11-26-2017, 07:30 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
I`m left and I don`t want tax cuts for ANYBODY. We`ve seen this sort of looting of the Treasury before under a different irresponsible president.

Correct!

The left wants everyone taxed heavily, and knowing that the top 01%, the donor class, will always find a way to avoid paying those taxes, the recipient class has politically allied itself with the wealthy against working Americans.

That's what the Perot Reform movement, Tea Party movement and Trump campaign have been about.

They are the collective response, over time, to the mooch class/donor class alliance and their war on the working class.

The issue for leftists today isn't that working Americans will demand tax cuts and leave it at that.

The issue is that we might demand the wealthy pay more in the form of an alternate minimum tax on millionaires and our ****ty trade deals be addressed.

Old 11-26-2017, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
So the problem here isn't that the rich are having lower taxes, but that they are raising it on the middle and lower classes to make it up for it. So what if they just lowered taxes on the rich but didn't raise it on anyone? Would that be good enough?
There is a national debt out there that the Republicans seemed concerned with as little as a year ago. Why not now?

Old 11-26-2017, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Actually many do, Buffett, Zuckerburg and Gates come to mind along with many middle class citizens in addition to many on the other side of politics. its not polarized until you come to politics. But why should some individuals unilaterally support the poor, aren't we a country.
Please don't put Buffet in the same class as Zuckerburg and Gates. Gates wanted no limit on the H-1b visa. It doesn't matter ho much the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation gives to PBS when skilled programmers can no longer work at professional salaries.

Old 11-26-2017, 07:36 AM

34,229 posts, read 18,561,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
There is a national debt out there that the Republicans seemed concerned with as little as a year ago. Why not now?
So will the Democrats let them cut spending? Do you know that a growing economy spurred by tax cuts can generate MORE revenue to government? I am very concerned with the debt Obama irresponsibly saddled us with to bailout union pensions, and big banks, and corporations.

Old 11-26-2017, 07:37 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
When i see wrist watches go for $193,000 and then see millions either homeless or hungry, it turns me just a little to the left.

When I see paintings go for several million dollars at Sothebys and then see children bringing their four year old siblings to school for their only meal of the day, it turns me a little more to the left.

When I see multibillion dollar corporations train their employees techniques of getting on food stamps or medicaid, It pushes me a little more to the left.
If the last remark refers to Walmart employees, Walmart can't pay their employees more because their customers don't want to pay higher prices.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLr5oWfoWRY

Old 11-26-2017, 07:40 AM

34,229 posts, read 18,561,496 times
Quote:

I've done pretty well in life in spite of some setbacks, but seeing hunger where there is also obscene wealth just seems unAmerican.
So do you want Mandated LIMITS on what people earn, and can buy? What price watch should I be allowed to buy? How about we limit your car expenditure to $10K, your vacation allowance to $350, and your home to $50? Would that be fair?

Communists are just nuts.

Last edited by Pilot1; 11-26-2017 at 07:54 AM..

Old 11-26-2017, 07:41 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Not when more than 45% of 1040 tax filers pay no federal income tax whatsoever.

We don't need tax revenue to fund means-tested welfare. Let Buffett, Zuckererg, and Gates, et al, fund it via donations. That's $1+ trillion/year cut off the federal budget right there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies