Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2017, 10:16 AM

5,461 posts, read 3,235,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
That idea, such as it is, still does all the negative aspects mentioned in my previous post.

The question that I have for you is: why so stuck on lowering taxes on the Rich? Do the rich not have enough money?
That's not your decision to make.

How much, in your mind, is 'enough'? If they have more than that do you think the government should seize the rest?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2017, 10:25 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,948,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyster View Post
That's not your decision to make.

How much, in your mind, is 'enough'? If they have more than that do you think the government should seize the rest?
I'm not making a 'decision.' Mine was a flippant question -- "Do the rich not have enough money?"

It's like saying that if aliens visited Earth and read the Trump tax-bill, they would have to conclude that Congress thinks that rich people just don't have enough money. There can be no other explanation to pass a bill that raises taxes on the middle class; takes away health insurance from millions; and blows up the debt, just to give rich people tax cuts that analysis shows has no meaningful economic benefits to the country.

Old 11-26-2017, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru5555 View Post
Because the CBO has stated this plan will result in an additional 2 trillion dollars being added to the deficit. https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2017/11/08/...llion-cbo.html
Obama doubled the national debt and Democrats didn't utter a peep about it.

Now that he is out of office they suddenly become deficit hawks.

Hypocrites.

Old 11-26-2017, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
I'm not making a 'decision.' Mine was a flippant question -- "Do the rich not have enough money?"

It's like saying that if aliens visited Earth and read the Trump tax-bill, they would have to conclude that Congress thinks that rich people just don't have enough money. There can be no other explanation to pass a bill that raises taxes on the middle class; takes away health insurance from millions; and blows up the debt, just to give rich people tax cuts that analysis shows has no meaningful economic benefits to the country.
Since you have no idea what the final bill will look like all you have is the usual Leftist talking points. It's the same set of talking points the Democrats have been repeating, like a skipping record, for decades. It's completely vapid class warfare drivel.

Second, Democrats don't care about tax cuts for the wealthy because of some high moral concern about deficits, the national debt, etc... They never cared about any of that when Obama was president. They simply detest the wealthy. It's petty jealousy.

They hate the rich and demand they pay more taxes... until they themselves become wealthy. A large number of Democrats in congress are millionaires... yet not one of them fails to take every deduction they can and not one of them ever voluntarily writes a check to the US Treasury to voluntarily increase their own taxes.

Flaming hypocrites to their core.

Old 11-26-2017, 10:52 AM

2,531 posts, read 1,863,511 times
Maybe it's because rich people don't need repeated tax cuts. They're already making millions in the first place. Since the 70s yearly increases have been significantly higher for the rich while remained stagnant among the lower and middle class. Yet morons in office continuously believe that trickle down economics works.

Old 11-26-2017, 11:21 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyster View Post
Obama doubled the national debt and Democrats didn't utter a peep about it.

Now that he is out of office they suddenly become deficit hawks.

Hypocrites.
Same as Republicans who said boo under Bush and now Trump...

Old 11-26-2017, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Same as Republicans who said boo under Bush and now Trump...
Republicans aren't much better. But they at least have some deficit and debt hawks. But, like the Democrats, most of them are owned by the US Chamber of Commerce and other special interest groups... bought and paid for. They couldn't care less about the average citizen of the long term effects of our national debt.

Old 11-26-2017, 01:52 PM

37,199 posts, read 19,200,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
There are a lot of unnecessary, overlapping, and inherently unfair means-tested social welfare programs. Cut them. Convert the responsibility to fund them to private charitable organizations and donations. That way, liberals who believe in handing anything and everything over to others for free can put their money where their mouths are.
All of those programs together don't add up to a trillion and a half that would be added to the National Debt for the benefit of the wealthiest people in the country.

I can't figure out why anyone on this board would be in favor of these cuts. I doubt seriously we have any 1%ers posting here, and if you aren't in the one per cent, you are going to get a tax increase to pay for this idiocy. I would much rather my money go to someone who has a real need for it.

Old 11-26-2017, 01:58 PM

1,710 posts, read 1,463,211 times
What is your definition of rich?

2 MD's making $200k ea in CA or NYC? Thats good but by no means rich.

I do well in CO, but pay a ton of taxes, you dont feel too far ahead after it all.

I am more interested in the US trying to figure out how to re-patriate Apple and other off shore cash for tax revenue than trying to figure out how to get more out of me. Id also like to see the DOD budget cut by 20%. As well as other govt spending.

Old 11-26-2017, 03:00 PM

57,286 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
Please don't put Buffet in the same class as Zuckerburg and Gates. Gates wanted no limit on the H-1b visa. It doesn't matter ho much the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation gives to PBS when skilled programmers can no longer work at professional salaries.
I think you are nitpicking, all give billions of dollars away to charitable causes. Gates and Buffett have also deeded most of their wealth to charity. very little to their family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Not when more than 45% of 1040 tax filers pay no federal income tax whatsoever.

We don't need tax revenue to fund means-tested welfare. Let Buffett, Zuckererg, and Gates, et al, fund it via donations. That's $1+ trillion/year cut off the federal budget right there.
A good part of that 45% are ex-military, rust belt, and coal miners and others on the right. Why cant a country with our wealth support those living at the bottom and why should social programs be voluntary. Maybe DOD funding should be voluntary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies