Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2017, 09:38 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,601,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy87 View Post
My sister in law went to school for about 8 years to become an admin for city schools. Im guessing starting pay $40-$50k. She's got well over $100k in debt. Its not my fault that was her chosen path and it shouldn't be my responsibility to help support her.

With the interest write off on her taxes, she won't be paying any taxes and most likely get a good chunk back.
The majority of people's "chosen paths" go that way. Who is able to come out of college with a starting pay in the 6 figures with no debt? Riddle me that....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2017, 09:42 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,087,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
First, fairness. It's easier for the rich to pay taxes. Lower income people would find it a burden to pay the same rate as the rich. Moreover, taxing lower income people the same raises little revenue, so it makes sense to give them a break.

Second, even Adam Smith thought the rich should pay more. From Wealth of A Nation:
How is asking everyone to contribute to society in equal proportion to their income not fair?

In a flat tax scenario, someone who makes a million per year would pay 20X what someone who makes 50k per year does.

Does someone who makes a million per year use more than 20X the government services that someone who makes 50k a year does?

And you think asking them to pay MORE than 20X what another does is "FAIR"?

The Left has a rather odd definition of "fair".

Old 11-27-2017, 09:45 AM

1,710 posts, read 1,462,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
The majority of people's "chosen paths" go that way. Who is able to come out of college with a starting pay in the 6 figures with no debt? Riddle me that....
well for 1 its not wise to get a masers in a liberal arts program from a ultra expensive school.

I went to a cheap state school, 4 yr degree, joined the USAF for 4 years, got an ok sales job for 3 years, then got a great job.

I didnt hit 6 figures until i was 30. I also wasnt stupid either and went after a job that would actually pay. Not city school admin.

Unless you're going for a MD or a prestigious MBA there is no reason to drop a mortgage on education.

Old 11-27-2017, 09:47 AM

1,710 posts, read 1,462,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
How is asking everyone to contribute to society in equal proportion to their income not fair?

In a flat tax scenario, someone who makes a million per year would pay 20X what someone who makes 50k per year does.

Does someone who makes a million per year use more than 20X the government services that someone who makes 50k a year does?

And you think asking them to pay MORE than 20X what another does is "FAIR"?

The Left has a rather odd definition of "fair".
Im ok with a flat tax, but every proposal i see they do away with deductions. I think doing away with mortgage interest deductions would kill the home industry and put the US back into recession. All of a sudden people will actually have to write a check instead of get a refund.

Old 11-27-2017, 09:48 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,947,200 times
Quote:
The more you make, the more you pay. The idea the rich dont pay taxes is just stupid. Medicare Surtax? Higher tax bracket.....Id like the govt to cut spending.

The ultra rich make their money off bonuses and stock options which are taxed at an extreme rate or money that has already been taxed, so you want the govt to double dip?
Actually, it isn't true in practice that the more you make, the more you pay. The top 0.1% of taxpayers pay a lower rate than the middle class.

Since the vast amount of federal spending is Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, defense and interest on the debt, which of these do you want to cut so that taxes are lower?

Old 11-27-2017, 09:50 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,947,200 times
Quote:
Im ok with a flat tax, but every proposal i see they do away with deductions. I think doing away with mortgage interest deductions would kill the home industry and put the US back into recession. All of a sudden people will actually have to write a check instead of get a refund.
The current tax bills in Congress kill mortgage interest and local tax deductibility.

Old 11-27-2017, 09:51 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,650,100 times
Quote:
My sister in law went to school for about 8 years to become an admin for city schools. Im guessing starting pay $40-$50k. She's got well over $100k in debt. Its not my fault that was her chosen path and it shouldn't be my responsibility to help support her.

With the interest write off on her taxes, she won't be paying any taxes and most likely get a good chunk back.
50K for 20 years so and she will get raises and retire.

not bad IMO.

Old 11-27-2017, 09:53 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,741,829 times
Imagine Dunkin' Donuts charging a millionaire $500 for a cup of coffee while the person after them in line pays $1 for the same. (or in real life the "average" person pays nothing at all)

That is the racketeering, extortion, and theft scheme called "taxation" in the U.S. Flat-tax is an abomination as well as people are still being charged arbitrarily.

A cup of coffee has a cost. That cost should be the same for all people...

Old 11-27-2017, 09:54 AM

32,101 posts, read 34,714,145 times
Quote:
First, fairness.
We can put the fairness issue to the side entirely. The bottom line is that the government needs to pay for things and it can't get sufficient revenue to pay for these things without taxing higher-income earners more.

"We need to take better care of the vets." Yes, and that takes money.

"We need to rebuild and strengthen our military." That takes money.

"I, Donald J. Trump, pledge to spend $1 trillion on our failing infrastructure." Where's that money coming from?

The Greatest Generation understood the vital importance of infrastructure and built a national highway system, a space program, a power grid, and pretty much all of the infrastructure we depend on through government spending. The Greatest Generation even pioneered the internet. Baby Boomers, on the other hand, have been determined to dismantle everything they created, and have expressed little if any desire to make any commitment to the greater good.

Old 11-27-2017, 09:54 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,579,807 times
Quote:
Actually, it isn't true in practice that the more you make, the more you pay. The top 0.1% of taxpayers pay a lower rate than the middle class.

Since the vast amount of federal spending is Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, defense and interest on the debt, which of these do you want to cut so that taxes are lower?
All of the above, please.

Those listed programs are what is bankrupting the country. We could easily cover public healthcare with a few judicious cuts on the above and restructuring Federal payments for Medical care. Congress should be fiscally responsible and cut them BEFORE they cut taxes ( Fed receipts).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies