U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2017, 09:52 PM

2,805 posts, read 919,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
How do you propose to do away with it?
Boycott it. If companies don't make enough money on it, it will end. And the assault on Thanksgiving will also end. (Well, the employer one anyone. I'm sure after the liberals are done destroying Columbus Day for supposedly attacking Native Americans, they'll proceed to the Pilgrims next for supposedly doing the same thing and suggest we get rid of or rename Thanksgiving to some PC name.)

However, maybe without the materialism from Black Friday, people will have an extra day to spend on other things, like noticing how the DC elites are screwing us and future generations over.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2017, 09:54 PM

2,805 posts, read 919,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
They will probably change it to "Rainbow Friday" or someone will start calling it racist.
I saw on Twitter that some in the BLM crowd were calling it Blessed Friday instead.

Old 11-26-2017, 12:06 AM

764 posts, read 499,338 times
I haven't purchased a single thing this black friday. I looked at a few things that I'm interested in (online). Such as a specific camera that I've been eyeing but the price wasn't where I needed it to be.

However, around here, stores don't tend to open until after the traditional meal is complete. Usually not until the evening of Thanksgiving...

Old 11-26-2017, 12:26 AM

597 posts, read 306,974 times
Well it should be stopped in its tracks here in Australia as we do not celebrate Thanksgiving and thus it is meaningless here. Except that some of the retailers have started on Black Friday sales. They are no different to what are usually called pre-Christmas sales and hopefully they will go the way of Starbucks here!

Old 11-26-2017, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaAnna View Post
Well it should be stopped in its tracks here in Australia as we do not celebrate Thanksgiving and thus it is meaningless here. Except that some of the retailers have started on Black Friday sales. They are no different to what are usually called pre-Christmas sales and hopefully they will go the way of Starbucks here!
Black Friday is not tied to Thanksgiving. It's tied to the December holidays (Christmas, etc.). It marks the start of the gift shopping season.

Old 11-26-2017, 03:52 AM

26,850 posts, read 15,100,097 times
So long as people want to shop on black friday, employees want the hours and owners want the business it will remain.
As usual if a lib doesnt want, like or understand something, they want to ban it for everyone.

Old 11-26-2017, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
As usual if a lib doesnt want, like or understand something, they want to ban it for everyone.
This isn't really about you guys wanting to ban it. It's about people's perception. Clearly it's valued and that's why it exists.

Old 11-26-2017, 05:33 AM

15,496 posts, read 8,142,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
It doesn't seem to be about getting out of the red into the black, but now is just pure sales gimmicks and greed. Plus, it's leading to the rise of Black Thursday, where stores are opening earlier and earlier on Thanksgiving each year, ruining Thanksgiving for many workers just to satisfy greedy businessmen and fanatical shoppers.

Plus, having a day dedicated to shopping and materialism right after a day dedicated to thankfulness seems tragically ironic if you ask me.

And I can see it coming, some will bring up the free market, but why are we as consumers going along with this instead of refusing to play along? If we don't stop it, Thanksgiving could eventually become a working day, maybe a working holiday, but a working day nonetheless. Plus, they can have their crazy shopping frenzy some day OTHER than right after Thanksgiving.

(Also, I might add, that the lure of Black Friday is being dulled by the "Black Thursday" sales as Friday becomes less important.)
I've always passed on it but I guess it's good for the economy, if people want to foolishly buy things they don't need, I say go for it. i bought a car that will go over 200 mph and I rarely exceed 100 so I'm guilty of foolish consumption in my own way.

Old 11-26-2017, 05:53 AM

4,128 posts, read 1,840,610 times
Only if you get rid of blue moon, red herrings, white Christmas and yellow journalism.

Old 11-26-2017, 05:55 AM

30,148 posts, read 15,784,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
It doesn't seem to be about getting out of the red into the black, but now is just pure sales gimmicks and greed. Plus, it's leading to the rise of Black Thursday, where stores are opening earlier and earlier on Thanksgiving each year, ruining Thanksgiving for many workers just to satisfy greedy businessmen and fanatical shoppers.

Plus, having a day dedicated to shopping and materialism right after a day dedicated to thankfulness seems tragically ironic if you ask me.

And I can see it coming, some will bring up the free market, but why are we as consumers going along with this instead of refusing to play along? If we don't stop it, Thanksgiving could eventually become a working day, maybe a working holiday, but a working day nonetheless. Plus, they can have their crazy shopping frenzy some day OTHER than right after Thanksgiving.

(Also, I might add, that the lure of Black Friday is being dulled by the "Black Thursday" sales as Friday becomes less important.)
How did you feel about "blue laws?" Shall we go back to that?

No one is being forced to shop for bargains after Thanksgiving, or at any other time of year. You cannot ban businesses from offering bargains at certain times of year to stimulate business. How about banning "back to school" sales? Maybe the government should not allow any sales at all, but force businesses to cut their prices across the board all year round? Dictate the maximum profit margin allowable? Is that the kind of government you want?

Sounds like you are anti-capitalist. (Not hard to guess ...that's what Leftists are)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or